Ukraine v Scotland - discussion - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ukraine v Scotland - discussion

romanticscot

Really worried now about the next match now with all the players missing, not sure about the possible defence available add Mctominay missing in mid, Ralston and Jack have not looked the same as last season and could start, hope they prove me wrong, again not sure what Hyam needs to do to get called up especially what we are missing at CB. 

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tierney out???? What happened. He did seem dazed when they took him off, I reckon it actually was a concussion and they can't play for 72hrs. But I'm reading now McKenna out also, oh cack. We don't have McTominay either. 

Hickey and Hendry with Taylor but who plays left center? Can Doig play in there? 

Just when things were looking promising it is a massive blow to lose Tierney and McKenna. Taylor is a huge downgrade from Robertson or Tierney, and I would go Ralston at right back and Hickey on the left. At least Ralston has some physicality about him which Taylor lacks. But Clark obviously likes Taylor so he likely will get the nod. To replace McKenna I am hoping it will be Gallagher as he has the experience, plus Porteous is too rash. To get a result now is much harder. 

I think Kingsley will start as he is left footed but Gallagher is 6 ft 5 and someone did say he was playing well. No sense having fear about the situation, these are the moments where the team can rally around whoever plays and give it our best.

Gordon

Hickey.    Hendry.    Gallagher.      Taylor

Jack.    McGregor

Fraser.         Mcginn.        Christie

Adams

Or if he goes with a 3

Gordon

Hendry.  Gallagher.   Kingsley

Hickey.         Jack.     Mcgregor.        Taylor

Mcginn.         Christie

Adams

For such an important game to lose 5 guaranteed starters in Robbio, Tierney, Paterson, McKenna and Mctominay is really difficult. Then when you add not having Hanley, Cooper or Souttar in defence also then this is going to take something special to pull this off. 

1 minute ago, Hertsscot said:

Ridiculous number of defenders out: Souttar Hanley, Cooper, Robertson, Tierney, McKenna, Patterson, McTominay.

Ukrainians now must think they're favourites to win. That, at all least, may not be a bad thing.

They are favourites to win with the bookies and were already favourites before Tierney and McKenna were out. 

A bit odd considering the pumping we gave them 4 days ago and the fact it’s not a proper home game for them. 

2 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Gordon

Hickey.    Hendry.    Gallagher.      Taylor

Jack.    McGregor

Fraser.         Mcginn.        Christie

Adams

Or if he goes with a 3

Gordon

Hendry.  Gallagher.   Kingsley

Hickey.         Jack.     Mcgregor.        Taylor

Mcginn.         Christie

Adams

For such an important game to lose 5 guaranteed starters in Robbio, Tierney, Paterson, McKenna and Mctominay is really difficult. Then when you add not having Hanley, Cooper or Souttar in defence also then this is going to take something special to pull this off. 

It'll be tough but it is definitely doable. Crucially, Zinchenko is still out for Ukraine. We still have plenty experience in the side. 

Obviously a blow to lose so many players but it’s a massive indication of how much depth we have that we still have be so many options to call upon. On form alone I’d want to see Gallagher come in at the back but think Kingsley will get the nod as he’s left sided. Midfield doesn’t overly concern me as Gilmour, McLean or Jack are all able deputies for McTominay. 

Kingsley is a good shout, the bonus being he is really good at taking set-pieces. But I would prefer him at left back. My preferred back line would be.

Hickey Hendry Gallagher Kingsley

or

Ralston Hendry Gallagher/Kingsley Hickey.

I dread the thought of either Taylor (too light-weight) or Porteous (too rash), but unfortunately Clark loves Taylor.

1 hour ago, Templeton_Peck said:

McKenna and Tierney now out.. Kingsley and McKay now called up

how are we setting up in defence now ??

A back three with Kingsley in the 'Tierney role' perhaps. Bit of a gamble for someone inexperienced at international level. Either way, it's going to be a makeshift backline.

For me with the drop outs and the drop in quality i would play it safe and revert to 3 at the back - back 4 with a few that have never played together before is too risky for me especially when you consider Declan only been with the squad a few days and hasnt been in the squad for nearly last 2 years. Kingsley/Porteous never played international football and not played with that group of players and tactics before 

For a must not lose game play it safe 

I'd go

Gordon 

Hickey Hendry Gallagher Kingsley Taylor

McGregor Jack McLean

McGinn

Adams 

5 minutes ago, borojock said:

For a must not lose game play it safe 

Irrespective of personnel and formation, the attitude we approach the match will be all important. We certainly can't be cavalier but we don't want to be too respectful and invite them onto us, with so many top defenders missing I think it would be a mistake to drop back too much.

I'd keep the same shape and formation that served us well against Ukraine last week. Hard to believe the lack of options at the back....

Gordon 

Hickey Hendry Gallagher Taylor

McGregor Gilmour 

Christie McGinn Fraser

Adams 

4 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Irrespective of personnel and formation, the attitude we approach the match will be all important. We certainly can't be cavalier but we don't want to be too respectful and invite them onto us, with so many top defenders missing I think it would be a mistake to drop back too much.

Key for me is to get a grip of midfield quickly. Think we need to play with great discipline and control. Similar to how Celtic played against Donetsk 

3 minutes ago, COLT NY said:

I'd keep the same shape and formation that served us well against Ukraine last week. Hard to believe the lack of options at the back....

Gordon 

Hickey Hendry Gallagher Taylor

McGregor Gilmour 

Christie McGinn Fraser

Adams 

This is a good shout

19 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

I think we are getting our knickers in a twist here guys. Easy to forget an average Ireland side with fewer resources than us drew over there. 

We are more than capable of doing the same

We can absolutely still win over there never mind getting a point. Our task has been made a good bit harder by the withdrawals though. There’s no doubt about that. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We can absolutely still win over there never mind getting a point. Our task has been made a good bit harder by the withdrawals though. There’s no doubt about that. 

Absolutely we can still win. They are still an absolute shambles at defending set pieces and they are not same team without Zinchenko.

This is a huge test for Clarke to get us through this considering the withdrawals. 

We have to keep Mudryk quiet so at least Hickey and Hendry are defending that side.