Ukraine v Scotland - discussion - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ukraine v Scotland - discussion

romanticscot

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankfully Gordon is available, and it sounds like both Tierney and Hickey are also ok. This gives us a fighting chance, and all will definitely be needed as today Ukraine rested virtually their entire first team. I would not fancy the sight of Yarmolenko running at Taylor who is nowhere near international class, 90% of the time going backwards. Hickey cannot replicate the rampaging runs of Patterson, but what a class act, never wastes a ball and really good in tight spaces. Once Patterson is fit again Hickey is too good to drop and still needs to be fitted into the side, probably holding midfield. 

I think what International football is showing us these days is we need to use our squad.  Hickey, Patterson, Tierney, Robertson all will feature in double/triple headers. I reckon if we all had to come up with our best 11, we would hardly all agree.  

Tuesday, a massive game but our players should be used to these now.  

Ukraine have had three games on the road, us only two and Ukraine have further to travel to Poland than we do. 

10 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I know it's late in the day but I wouldn't mind Burke being called up, fresh legs and give Ukraine something different to worry about. We've had two really hard games.

I was thinking the same. This game could be tailor made for him: I suspect we might defend a wee bit deeper than usual and look to hit on the break?  Saw a couple of games when Burke played a similar role for Alaves and he suprised me how good he was at doing it (e.g. using his pace and stamina to press the keeper and any centre back not on their toes).

10 hours ago, HighlandScot said:

Thankfully Gordon is available, and it sounds like both Tierney and Hickey are also ok. This gives us a fighting chance, and all will definitely be needed as today Ukraine rested virtually their entire first team. I would not fancy the sight of Yarmolenko running at Taylor who is nowhere near international class, 90% of the time going backwards. Hickey cannot replicate the rampaging runs of Patterson, but what a class act, never wastes a ball and really good in tight spaces. Once Patterson is fit again Hickey is too good to drop and still needs to be fitted into the side, probably holding midfield. 

Yeah it’s some drop off when Taylor plays. Hopefully Hickey and Tierney are fine. Would rather see Doig than Taylor tbh. 

41 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

I was thinking the same. This game could be tailor made for him: I suspect we might defend a wee bit deeper than usual and look to hit on the break?  Saw a couple of games when Burke played a similar role for Alaves and he suprised me how good he was at doing it (e.g. using his pace and stamina to press the keeper and any centre back not on their toes).

I’m amazed Burke isn’t in the squad. Get him called up. 

40 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Yeah it’s some drop off when Taylor plays. Hopefully Hickey and Tierney are fine. Would rather see Doig than Taylor tbh. 

Taylor didn't do a bad job when he came on. It's unreal to think the depth of our squad now has two celtic full backs as third choice for Scotland.

6 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’m amazed Burke isn’t in the squad. Get him called up. 

Why are you amazed a player who has had an average career is not in the squad? He's also not started for his current club yet.

31 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Why are you amazed a player who has had an average career is not in the squad? He's also not started for his current club yet.

I wouldn’t even go as far as “average” for his international career, I’d plump for “disappointing” at best.  File alongside Bannan, McBurnie and the rest.

One of the good things that Clarke has done is to build a tight squad where everyone knows what they are trying to do and they’re all bought into that.  Bringing someone out of the wilderness as a “wildcard” for the biggest game we’ve had against Ukraine in the last four months is crazy talk. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Taylor didn't do a bad job when he came on. It's unreal to think the depth of our squad now has two celtic full backs as third choice for Scotland.

Because he brings something  we don’t otherwise have. Two goals in the Bundesliga is also not bad for September. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Yeah agreed the depth at full back now is ridiculous. And good points on the Celtic back ups, back ups who are playing champs league footy.

Right back depth; 

Nathan Patterson, Aaron Hickey, Tony Ralston

u21 rb Harrison Ashby u19 rb Jack Harkness

Left back depth;

The two best left backs in the world IMO & then Josh Doig & Greg Taylor

37 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Yeah agreed the depth at full back now is ridiculous. And good points on the Celtic back ups, back ups who are playing champs league footy.

Right back depth; 

Left back depth;

Forget Calvin Ramsay too

A thought that came into my head earlier was how is our record since the Euros 

We've played 15 games (2 friendlies included) - we've won 10, drawn 2 and lost 3 

The two draws were friendlies 

So competitive games played 13 won 10 and lost 3 - granted the real important one we lost

However overall i really think we've done well 

Got a stable group of players, good age makeup, most playing at a good standard domestically, strength in depth is a real positive, players who have come in to cover players missing i cant think of many letting us down, great squad togetherness, management team getting more experience at international level which is a huge positive, player call offs are at a minimum, fans seem more engaged 

Overall looking really positive IMVHO 

Only real concern i have is what do we do when Gordon retires 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Right back depth; 

Left back depth;

So we ended up last  night with approx£80m+ talent off injured, including a champions league winner and we brought on two champions league players (Taylor and Ralston) 

That's something I'm still trying to get my head around.

Injured- Paterson, Hickey,Robbo and Tierney

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Because he brings something  we don’t otherwise have. Two goals in the Bundesliga is also not bad for September. 

I agree with on both points.

I concede he's not everyone's cup of tea (including a number of managers 😉  ).  But I personally would have liked to have seen him in the squad. And have a hunch he could have put in a shift in what will likely be a counterattacking game on Tuesday. Plus I worry that Che Adams and  Dykes might not have enough left in the tank to play the single striker role on Tuesday? I hope I'm wrong.

For the future, I'm hoping Oliver Burke will kick on at Werder Bremen. I'd be happy to see him in future squads. As 'er yir macaroon' says, he brings something a wee bit different to our other striker options.

1 hour ago, mcguffin said:

I concede he's not everyone's cup of tea (including a number of managers 😉  ).  But I personally would have liked to have seen him in the squad. And have a hunch he could have put in a shift in what will likely be a counterattacking game on Tuesday. Plus I worry that Che Adams and  Dykes might not have enough left in the tank to play the single striker role on Tuesday? I hope I'm wrong.

For the future, I'm hoping Oliver Burke will kick on at Werder Bremen. I'd be happy to see him in future squads. As 'er yir macaroon' says, he brings something a wee bit different to our other striker options.

Most players improve with experience and I’m optimistic he’ll be worth the effort. Even now opposition defences will be forced to adjust their position if he’s on the pitch. 

1 hour ago, mcguffin said:

I think Che Adams will be good to lead the line as he only played 10 minutes against Ireland and the Ukraine game. Certainly fresher than the midfield and central defenders.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I think Che Adams will be good to lead the line as he only played 10 minutes against Ireland and the Ukraine game. Certainly fresher than the midfield and central defenders.

I think we all hope so. We're very lucky to have Adams, he offers so much upfront. I think it's probably fair to say that he wasn't going to be considered by the land of his birth but he has been excellent for us. He looks like he enjoys playing for Scotland and I hope his gran (if she's still with us) and any Scottish relatives of his are really proud of him.

3 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

McKenna and Tierney now out.. Kingsley and McKay now called up

how are we setting up in defence now ??

I genuinely have no idea who I'd play now. Declan Gallagher because he has a wee bit of experience? But Porteous was called up first...

We can't even stick McTominay in defence now. 

I reckon Ralston would make a damn good RCB in a back 3/5.