ROI Match Thread - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

ROI Match Thread

dandydunn

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

I was in the West Stand on Saturday where there were, as there usually are, plenty of drunken numpties, but apart from the Irish anthem being booed by a minority (and largely respected by most) and the Irish fans giving it "ooh ah up the 'ra" at one point (that's their lookout) I witnessed none of that.

Now, I'm the first to admit I'm a pretty dozy cunt even at the best of times, and on this occasion my attention was being held by a closely fought football match going on in front of me, but even I would expect to have noticed beer being thrown around and two women knocking lumps out of each other!

I heard the odd mention of “Taigs” and “bead rattlers” and things like that from a couple of groups behind us in the west stand but I don’t think it was widespread. Or at least I hope it wasn’t.

Zero place for that type of thing at Hampden. Or any football stadium for that matter. 

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Scotland and Ireland fans, no place for IRA chants at games. 

You';ll be used to them i suppose. 

No need for that humper.

I’m not interested in what Ireland fans do, they’ll have their idiots as do we. I am interested in how Scotland fans behave and we don’t need that shite infecting the support. It seems to rear it’s head any time we play one of the Irish teams and it shouldn’t be tolerated whether it’s anti Catholic or Protestant.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

I heard the odd mention of “Taigs” and “bead rattlers” and things like that from a couple of groups behind us in the west stand but I don’t think it was widespread. Or at least I hope it wasn’t.

Zero place for that type of thing at Hampden. Or any football stadium for that matter. 

Maybe I was just lucky (or you were unlucky). Only thing I heard that disappointed me was the Irish anthem being booed but even that wasn't widespread and in any case, it isn't the first time an opposing team's anthem has been booed at Hampden - and I'm not just referring to the obvious one!

6 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Maybe I was just lucky (or you were unlucky). Only thing I heard that disappointed me was the Irish anthem being booed but even that wasn't widespread and in any case, it isn't the first time an opposing team's anthem has been booed at Hampden - and I'm not just referring to the obvious one!

Yeah I’m not a fan of any anthems being booed. GSTK is kinda fair enough since the original version was anti-Scottish but booing any other anthem is just pathetic nonsense. 

On 9/26/2022 at 12:50 AM, slasher said:

To sum it up , some Scotland fans disgraced themselves. Those who are trying to justify it can get to fuck!

Them: "You f*ckin' fenian!!" 

Me: "Barely know what that is..." 

Them: "Er, same." 

Them: "Well.... You fuckin' tattie muncher!!"

Me: "Who doesn't like spuds, though? You can do so much with them. Fry them, boil them, roast them. They go with everything."

Them: "....true..." 

Them: "*sigh*.... Well, we're still gonna f*ckin' beat ya up!!" 

Me: "OK, but at this point your hatred is completely arbitrary. Also, taxi please..."

28 minutes ago, Briany said:

Me: "Who doesn't like spuds, though? You can do so much with them. Fry them, boil them, roast them. They go with everything."

Me: "OK, but at this point your hatred is completely arbitrary. Also, taxi please..."

We are all tattie munchers. 👍

Scotland produces more tatties per head of population than any other country in Europe, in case that's of any interest to anybody.

On 9/27/2022 at 1:07 PM, killiefaetheferry said:

Seconded. I used to know plenty who sang about how good it was to be a Roman Catholic. Funnily enough, I tended not to see them at Mass. 

Same, i was one of the few in my class who went to mass and also one of the few non Celtic fans in my class. 

That was when i was a kid, i don't practice religion now as i don't buy into it but always find it funny how thousands sing about it on a match day yet chapels and churches are closing in their droves!

On 9/27/2022 at 1:52 PM, Texas Pete said:

Same when we play NI, daft shouts of Orange Bastards etc. 

Funnily enough, i nearly came to blows with somebody in Dublin in the summer who was shouting fenian this, fenian that and that was in the SSC tickets so somebody with decent number of points. 

Turned out the guy was catholic (or so he said). Beyond belief. 

On 9/27/2022 at 2:14 PM, slasher said:

No need for that humper.

I’m not interested in what Ireland fans do, they’ll have their idiots as do we. I am interested in how Scotland fans behave and we don’t need that shite infecting the support. It seems to rear it’s head any time we play one of the Irish teams and it shouldn’t be tolerated whether it’s anti Catholic or Protestant.

Fair enough - easiest way to deal with it is to pull folk up about it. Although not as easy in practice i suppose. 

Can't let it lie though - idiots need told. 

12 hours ago, Orraloon said:

We are all tattie munchers. 👍

Scotland produces more tatties per head of population than any other country in Europe, in case that's of any interest to anybody.

netherlands ? unless you are discussing acreage - they get about 3 times the tonnage per acres 

On 9/30/2022 at 11:20 AM, Briany said:

I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say here 😂

On 9/30/2022 at 12:10 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

Funnily enough, i nearly came to blows with somebody in Dublin in the summer who was shouting fenian this, fenian that and that was in the SSC tickets so somebody with decent number of points. 

Turned out the guy was catholic (or so he said). Beyond belief. 

My great great great grandpa was one of the original Fenians in the 1860s, and he was a Protestant. 

I suspect the guy you met in Dublin wasn't too clued up on the intricacies of Irish history though.

Edited by Toepoke