ROI Match Thread - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

ROI Match Thread

dandydunn

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Orraloon said:

If folk don't want to hear industrial language then maybe they should go to the opera instead of the football?

Theres industrial language and theres bigotry. 

If I wanted to hear anti catholic bigotry I would go to ibrox, not a Scotland game.

Anyone who condones that can go and take a flying tuck to themselves.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

11 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Theres industrial language and theres bigotry. 

If I wanted to hear anti catholic bigotry I would go to ibrox, not a Scotland game.

Anyone who condones that can go and take a flying tuck to themselves.

Or Tynecastle. Or most other Premiership grounds when Celtic are visiting for that matter. Or any night out with Kyle Lafferty.  

53 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Or Tynecastle. Or most other Premiership grounds when Celtic are visiting for that matter. Or any night out with Kyle Lafferty.  

A very small amount in Gorgie, perhaps

2nd point is not true at all from my experience 

For effect I'm guessing

10 minutes ago, Redz said:

A very small amount in Gorgie, perhaps

2nd point is not true at all from my experience 

For effect I'm guessing

Anti-Catholic bigotry is widespread in Scotland in my experience and is not limited to Ibrox stadium. It was a fair comment from Squirrelhumper as it is rife at Ibrox, particularly in games against Celtic but I was just pointing out its not limited to there. 

Off the top of my head I can think of incidents at Pittodrie and Tynecastle where people were arrested for anti-Catholic chants etc. but I based my comment on other premiership grounds on what I’ve been told by Celtic supporting mates who go to away games. 

Bigotry in any form isn'i acceptable.

So why are the 'events' that happen at Ibrox at this time every year - which have zero, zip, bugger all to do with football - allowed to proceed unencumbered by the SPFL?

Commemorations for deceased players is fair enough, but get anything that isn't directly related to the club - get that fired right into the sea.

It has no place in our game.

14 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

The IRA is an organised crime gang that thought nothing of blowing up civilians enjoying a pint on a night out. Don’t get the rose-tinted specs on, I can only imagine you’re too young to remember them properly. 

13 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Singing oooh ah up the RA isn't mocking us. They can shove that chant up their arse with their hoof ball kick the opposition style football 

The original IRA were not an organised crime gang. Its debatable wether even the PIRA were as well.

Personally i aint very keen on the ira chants but the original ira fought for irish independence and freedom and its only natural that many of the irish support want to glorify them and chant about them.

Also how is IRA chants religious? The IRA have never been a religious organisation. 

Just now, ErsatzThistle said:

Do people now see why it's better to begin easing Grant Hanley out of the team ?

Imagine what would have happened had he been playing last night against Parrot and Obafemi.

Yeh most of our centre backs have had terrible games. If we got rid of centre backs every time they played poorly we wouldnt have any left. 

Hanley has done well up until the last round of games. Getting rid of him based in those games is over reactionary nonsense. Mckenna and hendry have had terrible games for scotland but have been good these last two games. Hopefully they keep it up but knowing scotland and our defence then a bad performance is usually just round the corner and we will be back wondering who is our best centre backs and who should start.

5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh most of our centre backs have had terrible games. If we got rid of centre backs every time they played poorly we wouldnt have any left. 

Hanley has done well up until the last round of games. Getting rid of him based in those games is over reactionary nonsense. Mckenna and hendry have had terrible games for scotland but have been good these last two games. Hopefully they keep it up but knowing scotland and our defence then a bad performance is usually just round the corner and we will be back wondering who is our best centre backs and who should start.

Would you have fancied him against Parrott and Obefemi last night ? Yes or no ?

He's had more bad games than good games. Hanley has had his day.

6 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Would you have fancied him against Parrott and Obefemi last night ? Yes or no ?

He's had more bad games than good games. Hanley has had his day.

Easily yes. He has had good games against better opposition. Wheres this confidence in mckenna and hendry coming from?

2 good games is not evidence that they are suddenly baresi or maldini. I am happy mckenna and hendry played well together but we should all know by now that our centre backs always have one or 2 shocking performances that causes us to question who should start.

Hanleys a very good english championship level centre back. Hes proven that he can cut it at that level which is our level in terms of centre backs. Thats the reality of our situation. If we had 4 or 5 epl centre backs then we could maybe afford to leave hanley out but we dont. 

Personally i would keep hanley as back up as he is experienced and has played well for the most part under clarke. His form under previous scotland managers should be partially discarded as we have been a mess for large parts of hanleys international career. The guy was a victim of being thrown into the deep end of international football at 21/22 because he was playing epl and we thought he must be a potential star if hes already playing that level. 

11 hours ago, Orraloon said:

If folk don't want to hear industrial language then maybe they should go to the opera instead of the football?

11 hours ago, SamP said:

Agree with this.  We all know this is going to happen.  From school games to senior games.  If you don't want your kids to hear these chants etc then don't take them.  Same as parents who take their young kids to a pub and shhh anybody who swears.  

Wow you guys cant be serious lol. Using words like Tattie munchers and fenians is not the best image for our support to have. Its embarrassing and makes us look like a bunch of northern irish loyalists. Theres loads of ppl in the scotland support with irish parents or grandparents. Cant be very nice for them to hear that. 

Thankfully i heard none of that and i was sitting right next to the ireland end.

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Wow you guys cant be serious lol. Using words like Tattie munchers and fenians is not the best image for our support to have. Its embarrassing and makes us look like a bunch of northern irish loyalists. Theres loads of ppl in the scotland support with irish parents or grandparents. Cant be very nice for them to hear that. 

Thankfully i heard none of that and i was sitting right next to the ireland end.

Yet you think ooh ah up the ra is fine? 

Neither things are acceptable. 

I'm glad I introduced the wee lass to the hypocrisy in all this as growing up down south there's a huge irony that this sectarian bullshit barely registers. 

Elements of one cheek moaning insufficient reverence is given to the death of a vagina lottery winner a fortnight ago whilst the other bleat about insults towards an unsuccessful separatist organisation from the 19th century that has fuck all to do with the national team we purportedly support shows how weird a proportion of our country are for me. 

If folk were shouting 'leek munching bastards' and ambivalent to the death of Tom Jones at a Wales game five year down the track doubt either cheek would give a shit so the moral high ground citing bigotry has fuck all do with it.

And whilst I'm aloft my high horse racism is completely seperate from lifestyle choices such as religion.

Edited by ThistleWhistle

44 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Yet you think ooh ah up the ra is fine? 

Neither things are acceptable. 

I already said i dont like it and i would prefer they didnt sing it but its not a direct jibe at us whereas fenian bastard or tattie muncher is.

Ideally i would prefer both sets of fans dont indulge in these chants or insults but i can fully understand why the irish love the original ira and everything they did in the name of irish freedom. Every nation loves their freedom fighters. Perhaps if we had some more(or even one)freedom fighters we would not be such a subservient nation of bootlickers.

33 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I'm glad I introduced the wee lass to the hypocrisy in all this as growing up down south there's a huge irony that this sectarian bullshit barely registers. 

Elements of one cheek moaning insufficient reverence is given to the death of a vagina lottery winner a fortnight ago whilst the other bleat about insults towards an unsuccessful separatist organisation from the 19th century that has fuck all to do with the national team we purportedly support shows how weird a proportion of our country are for me. 

If folk were shouting 'leek munching bastards' and ambivalent to the death of Tom Jones at a Wales game five year down the track doubt either cheek would give a shit so the moral high ground citing bigotry has fuck all do with it.

And whilst I'm aloft my high horse racism is completely seperate from lifestyle choices such as religion.

Not sure i would say the original IRA were unsuccesful. Most of ireland got its freedom. Also were they not more of a 20th century organisation?

If your suggesting i am one side of a cheek then your grossly mistaken. I dont support celtic, i am not a catholic and i am not particulary fond of the glasgow irish who i find to be disgustingly rude about my homeland.

I am just arguing facts here. The IRA are not a religious organisation and scottish fans in here being being massively offended by ireland fans singing or chanting about an organisation who literally laid down their lives for irish freedom is strange.

Irish fans shouting about the IRA is not what i want but i can understand its going to happen and to not get too pissed off over it.

The reason leek munching bastards has no relevance is because scotland didnt have huge waves of welsh immigration and we dont have massive football clubs who were formed by welsh ppl and have tens of thousands of welsh diaspora following them every week.

Every man and his dog in scotland knows that tattie muncher and fenian bastards is a term that your typical scottish loyalist or unionist will use against celtic fans and its something i would much rather not see at our games. I aint particulary upset by it as i aint that sensitive but its definitely something i would like to see less off.

I just find it strange ppl in here make excuses for it as its something that might discourage celtic fans and ppl of irish heritage from going to scotland games. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

I am just arguing facts here. The IRA are not a religious organisation and scottish fans in here being being massively offended by ireland fans singing or chanting about an organisation who literally laid down their lives for irish freedom is strange.

Irish fans shouting about the IRA is not what i want but i can understand its going to happen and to not get too pissed off over it.

The chant "Ooh ah up the 'RA" originated at the height of the Troubles when the Provisional IRA were carrying out murderous acts of terror on innocent people across the UK.

I found it in very poor taste to hear it sung last night. Just as I've been disgusted to read about some of the abuse our own support was dishing out.

Oddly I remember being at Hampden in 1987 when the Irish came over in big numbers, and from what I can recall at a time when there were huge tensions in Ulster there were no political songs or chants, just lots of slagging off our woeful performance that night.

Edited by Toepoke

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

The chant "Ooh ah up the 'RA" originated at the height of the Troubles when the Provisional IRA were carrying out murderous acts of terror on innocent people across the UK.

I found it in very poor taste to hear it sung last night. Just as I've been disgusted to read about some of the abuse our own support was dishing out.

Oddly I remember being at Hampden in 1987 when the Irish came over in big numbers, and from what I can recall at a time when there were huge tensions in Ulster there were no political songs or chants, just lots of slagging off our woeful performance that night.

Tbh buddy i am not wanting to get into a lengthy discussion about wether the provos are justified or not in their actions.

I am not really a fan of the ira chants but i can understand that alot of irish view the ira and the pira as organisations that fought against british rule and theres always going to be irish ppl who are proud of that. 

I would rather not hear it but thats life and i would rather not hear scotland fans making comments about fenian bastards etc.

Personally i never heard anything like that and i was out drinking before and after with two irish guys decked in irish colours. Everyone i saw seemed well behaved for the most part. 

11 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Can’t be the centre backs fault all the time, been games where they’ve been hung out to dry by the lack of help from the midfielders, Kazakhstan game was a prime example, our midfield was not existent that night.

Singing oh ah up the RA is illegal by the letter of the law as the IRA are a proscribed terrorist organisation and signing songs or displaying messages in support of such an organisation in public is againt the law. That being said, in Scotland this is largely ignored and usually only leads to a prosecution if the act is part of some other kind of criminality.

Any bigoted chants or shouts are also illegal and have no place at football, especially Scotland games. As somebody said above, theres a huge difference between general swearing and bigotry. The idea that you shouldnt take kids to football because these numbskulls also go is what makes our society so pathetic. 

Behaviour like this should belong in the past and be called out for what it is.

The West Stand was very colourful.

An old boy filmed calling a guy a Paki

Stewards being abused / told to get home (based on skin colour)

Chants of fenians and why don't you go home 

The IRA being sung about

Ryan Jack being called an orange bastard

Kids getting skelped with cups of beer / bevvy 

Two women scrapping

4 minutes ago, Debian said:

The West Stand was very colourful.

An old boy filmed calling a guy a Paki

Stewards being abused / told to get home (based on skin colour)

Chants of fenians and why don't you go home 

The IRA being sung about

Ryan Jack being called an orange bastard

Kids getting skelped with cups of beer / bevvy 

Two women scrapping

That’s Saturday night football for you. More people than usual spending all day in the pub before the game.