ROI Match Thread - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

ROI Match Thread

dandydunn

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Dave78 said:

I really want to see the replay of Breen/O'Neill.

I watched the game at my neighbours house with a few Irish lads. Wish i'd brought a cigar for the final whistle

Martin O’Neill showing that he is still the classless prick he’s always been. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Ireland got what they deserved. They came to play a physical game because they aren't as good as Scotland. It was the only way they could win, they failed and in my opinion scotland deserved the win.

Yes I agree. 

My take on it is us playing at or near our best then we are too good for Ireland. Our only problem at the mo is when we are only average or below our level drops right off and we are there for the taking. On paper we have a far better side than Ireland but they use what they have very well and have great team spirit. Spirit can.only take you so far though.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Ireland got what they deserved. They came to play a physical game because they aren't as good as Scotland. It was the only way they could win, they failed and in my opinion scotland deserved the win.

Correct. Took us a while but standing up to their physical approach was pleasing to see.

The look on my wee lass face bouncing to 'Scotland on fire' will live with me forever- feel slightly guilty for addicting her to a lifetime of false hope and crushing disappointment.

She learnt a whole host of new words/ sayings too such as tatty muncher, pope shagger and 'get into these f**King c**nts man!'  but the one she requested clarity on 'what's a fenian dad?'

19 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

The look on my wee lass face bouncing to 'Scotland on fire' will live with me forever- feel slightly guilty for addicting her to a lifetime of false hope and crushing disappointment.

She learnt a whole host of new words/ sayings too such as tatty muncher, pope shagger and 'get into these f**King c**nts man!'  but the one she requested clarity on 'what's a fenian dad?'

Not sure your second paragraph really reflects well on the Scotland fans, to be honest. Fucking embarrassing in fact.

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

If folk don't want to hear industrial language then maybe they should go to the opera instead of the football?

Agree with this.  We all know this is going to happen.  From school games to senior games.  If you don't want your kids to hear these chants etc then don't take them.  Same as parents who take their young kids to a pub and shhh anybody who swears.  

11 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

If folk don't want to hear industrial language then maybe they should go to the opera instead of the football?

Tattie munchers and fenian bastards? If this was Rangers fans there'd be a lot more calling out of this. How is it anti-Irish racism when done in club football but just banter against the actual Irish team? 

13 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

100% agree, but sectarian language I certainly don't approve of.

Pleased to report I never heard any such comments from around where I was standing. 

5 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Pleased to report I never heard any such comments from around where I was standing. 

But there's a poster just above who says he did hear it and felt it slightly awkward his daughter wondering about it! I'm not condemning fucking industrial language. I am, however, amazed at the hypocrisy at those dismissing sectarian language just because it's their team doing it.

If I could be arsed (and if I was technically proficient enough) I'm sure I could find the posters having a go at Rangers bigotry not so long ago. But this? Industrial language.

Genuinely wasn't that bothered as I didn't get tickets in the family stand and taking her to an Ireland game was always going to be fruity.  I went Stoke from 7-8 including a night game v Milwall and was told whatever I heard wasn't to be repeated or I wouldn't get back so same rules apply.  Think if I'd realised it was an evening kick off I might have reconsidered but Genuinely glad we went.

Context is also important as it was three pished lads sat with their Irish mate so were shouting it more taking the piss out of their mate than anything else. 

51 minutes ago, SamP said:

Agree as well.  We used to have a few Rangers fans on our bus to Hampden.  They used to boo any Celtic player who played for us and one thing I remember, Peter Grant came on as a sub once and four of them walked out.

To be fair Peter Grant was pish though 

1 hour ago, duncan II said:

Tattie munchers and fenian bastards? If this was Rangers fans there'd be a lot more calling out of this. How is it anti-Irish racism when done in club football but just banter against the actual Irish team? 

Something which seems offensive to some, is just banter to others. Parents can use the experience as a good lesson in real life.

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Something which seems offensive to some, is just banter to others. Parents can use the experience as a good lesson in real life.

Totally agree.  But I was lucky to be brought up by a dad who let me make my own mind up on these things.  Thousands of young kids don't get that choice in Scotland.  Introduced young in to who there dad supports and religion etc.  I find that so sad when I see it.

15 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I'm Scottish born but of Irish descent. After the game at Celtic Park I said I wouldn't go back to a Scotland v Ireland game.

However went last night against my better judgement and had a guy wanting to fight when asked to rap the fenian bastards shouts. 

11 minutes ago, Glass Ankles said:

However went last night against my better judgement and had a guy wanting to fight when asked to rap the fenian bastards shouts. 

Fair play to you, if I'd heard them I'd have had to have words too.

31 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I remember standing on the west terrace with virtually everyone monkey chanting at John Barnes. I don't expect kids these days to have to experience similar lessons in real life.

So we ended up last  night with approx£80m+ talent off injured, including a champions league winner and we brought on two champions league players (Taylor and Ralston) 

That's something I'm still trying to get my head around.

Tremendous improvement from 2-3 years ago

Injured- Paterson, Hickey,Robbo and Tierney

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Me neither, although there were some boos during the Irish anthem, which I thought was uncalled for, although the vast majority respected it.

The Irish gave plenty back though, especially when they were in front, and there was one "up the 'ra" chant going at one point. 🙄

Before and after the game though the atmosphere was just fine and both sets of fans mingled quite happily. 

15 hours ago, JECK said:

Marginally better first half but apart from their goal from a set piece they didn’t really trouble. I thought we looked the better footballing side and affectively won in the 12th round.

That's a fair summary, I think. We had more possession and played the better football but they were dangerous on the break the whole game. They had pace upfront which troubled us and they were able to switch the point of attack pretty well. We made a few daft errors too, like gifting possession where you shouldn't gift possession, which doesn't help, and which against stronger opposition would be suicidal.

I think Stephen Kenny deserves a lot of credit for getting a tune out of a team consisting mainly of so-so English Championship players. If I was an Ireland fan I might feel slightly aggrieved not to have earned a point.