ROI Match Thread - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

ROI Match Thread

dandydunn

46 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Adams isn’t quick. He turns quick but Dykes would match him over 20 - 30 yards.

So you think Dykes is actually quicker than Adams once they are up to full pace?

Dykes isnt painfully slow but he doesnt offer anything in behind. Ive never seen any defender even remotely worried about Dykes pace. In fact I cant remember ever seeing Dykes running the channel or bursting past a defender. 

Whether its over 10 yards or 30. Adams worries defenders with his pace. He isnt lightning quick but defenders sit deeper when against him.

I say this knowing its a computer game but more and more games are pretty accurate, the database for FM manager is used by professional clubs nowadays for example. Fifa 23 has Dykes pace at 68 and Adams at 84. 

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Gary Breen's patronising and smug commentary is grating.

The odd thing is that absolutely nobody in Ireland watched it on Premier Sports.

The game was on free-to-air RTE

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

Hendry needs to be starting every time imo. Him deciding to move to Belgium was cracking decision for his career, will have to see how he gets on in Italy. Decent goal threat aswell.

Toss of coin for other CB if back 4 remains but Clarke will surely go back to 5 when Robertson is fit again.

I've never thought much of Hendry but 60 out of 60 passes completed is some stat. And a goal to boot. 

Well done that man. 

13 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

The odd thing is that absolutely nobody in Ireland watched it on Premier Sports.

The game was on free-to-air RTE

I genuinely do not mind him wanting his team to win but he could have done it without the constant sneering remarks towards Scotland throughout the game which really got on my nerves. He went very quiet towards the end mind .......

It appears that a lot of people on twitter thought the same about Breen.

On the other hand I thought big Richard Dunne was very even handed speaking about the game and seemed like a decent bloke.

MON was so obviously pissed off we won 😄

Edited by ErsatzThistle

2 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

He's truly remarkable and has been a fantastic servant to Scotland. It doesn't seem that long ago that he was without a club, out the game and it looked like injury had cut short his career. Delighted for him.

Apparently his missus had his wean this morning? Great servant to his country

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I genuinely do not mind him wanting his team to win but he could have done it without the constant sneering remarks towards Scotland throughout the game which really got on my nerves. He went very quiet towards the end mind .......

It appears that a lot of people on twitter thought the same about Breen.

On the other hand I thought big Richard Dunne was very even handed speaking about the game and seemed like a decent bloke.

MON was so obviously pissed off we won 😄

I really want to see the replay of Breen/O'Neill.

I watched the game at my neighbours house with a few Irish lads. Wish i'd brought a cigar for the final whistle

4 hours ago, JECK said:

Ireland were horrible I thought. Team full of cheating hackers - was Martin O’Neill in charge tonight?! And it got too much for them at the end🤣 Thoroughly delighted this evening

Some agricultural football would be the polite way of putting it. A stronger ref may have reduced them in number. 

The Irish we encountered seemed like a great bunch and their big turnout certainly helped the atmosphere. Could have done without the "Oo ah up the RA" chants though.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Some agricultural football would be the polite way of putting it. A stronger ref may have reduced them in number. 

The Irish we encountered seemed like a great bunch and their big turnout certainly helped the atmosphere. Could have done without the "Oo ah up the RA" chants though.

They can sing what they want. We are a subservient nation who deserve mocking from real actual countries.

That performance was more about bottle and desire. We came from behind to win after a first half when we failed to get going and looked slow and ponderous on the ball. We also had to overcome the loss of two key players in Tierney and Hickey after already missing Robertson and Patterson in the same positions.

In the second half we woke from our slumber and really bossed the game. Ireland could not cope with our quick passing and movement. We won the game without it being a complete performance and that says a lot about their fighting spirit considering the importance of the game.

Again the win was clouded by the loss of key players but their injuries may not be as bad as we first thought. Also the loss of McTominay through suspension is a sore one to take.

Overall everyone put in a good shift and goodcto see Hendry and McKenna seemingly working well together. Hendry certainly has an eye for goals that is very handy. Shout out to Christie for his assist and having the balls to step up and convert what was a massive penalty.

I have that feeling as a Scotland fan just now of awaiting us to let this great position slip from our grasp. I can see Vlarke setting us up to play for the draw which could bite us in the arse. It would be another deflating experience now if we lose when so close to accomplushing so much. Fingers crossed we can do the job this time.

Great atmosphere last night too. The place was really bouncing once we began pressing in the second half. 

6 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I have decided Adams was rested tonight after the problems he caused against Ukraine. 

Honestly can't think of any other reason to start Dykes. 

Adams benched to save him for Ukraine, a booking last night would huv ruled him out of Tuesdays game.

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

They can sing what they want. We are a subservient nation who deserve mocking from real actual countries.

The IRA is an organised crime gang that thought nothing of blowing up civilians enjoying a pint on a night out. Don’t get the rose-tinted specs on, I can only imagine you’re too young to remember them properly. 

10 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Not sure, maybe we’ll edge the stats but felt they looked more comfortable for longer periods of the game and got behind us more than we’d have liked. 

Ireland got what they deserved. They came to play a physical game because they aren't as good as Scotland. It was the only way they could win, they failed and in my opinion scotland deserved the win.

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Singing oooh ah up the RA isn't mocking us. They can shove that chant up their arse with their hoof ball kick the opposition style football 

Edited by vanderark14

1 hour ago, RDFH64 said:

Adams benched to save him for Ukraine, a booking last night would huv ruled him out of Tuesdays game.

Good point. I thought maybe Dykes was picked to try and combat the Irish in the air after the battering in the last game but didn't really come off. Agree with others though having his goal threat in some games is definitely a good attribute for the squad.

8 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

So you think Dykes is actually quicker than Adams once they are up to full pace?

Dykes isnt painfully slow but he doesnt offer anything in behind. Ive never seen any defender even remotely worried about Dykes pace. In fact I cant remember ever seeing Dykes running the channel or bursting past a defender. 

Whether its over 10 yards or 30. Adams worries defenders with his pace. He isnt lightning quick but defenders sit deeper when against him.

I say this knowing its a computer game but more and more games are pretty accurate, the database for FM manager is used by professional clubs nowadays for example. Fifa 23 has Dykes pace at 68 and Adams at 84. 

I didn’t say quicker. Adams can bring pace quicker on the half turn but there’s nothing much in it when they’re both at full pelt. If Dykes is facing goal and the ball is played in front of him he causes defenders problems. He certainly had the Old Firm defenders on toast at times.

Ex-QPR striker agrees. https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/football-gallen-dykes-is-qprs-number-one-striker/amp

34 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Ireland got what they deserved. They came to play a physical game because they aren't as good as Scotland. It was the only way they could win, they failed and in my opinion scotland deserved the win.

I thought we were miles the better side and all.  They played with all the guile and finesse of a league one side down south - sit deep, kick everything that moves then launch it to the rapid tank up top.

We could easily have lost but mark of a good side to find a way.  Even if we had lost its quite obvious we're a lot further along a path to recovery than they are.