ROI Match Thread - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

ROI Match Thread

dandydunn

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

Full back Injuries could be decisive on Tuesday, hopefully not, but it’s quite concerning that Ukraine basically rested their whole expected starting 11 earlier today.  

Need to wrap Hickey and Taylor in cotton wool as Ukraine will certainly be targeting their attacks down the sides now especially the left. When was the last time a serious game was played without Robbo and Tierney?

Need to treat this like Serbia away. Probably the best composure shown by a Scotland NT in big pressure fixture for decades, no crowd back then of course.

60/40 Ukraine I'd say.

2 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Have we, inadvertently through injuries, settled on our best two centre halves? Thought Hendry was excellent again, they’ve both been good over the two games and carry a goal threat as well.

Hendry needs to be starting every time imo. Him deciding to move to Belgium was cracking decision for his career, will have to see how he gets on in Italy. Decent goal threat aswell.

Toss of coin for other CB if back 4 remains but Clarke will surely go back to 5 when Robertson is fit again.

8 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

When was the last time a serious game was played without Robbo and Tierney?

Depends what you mean by serious.

We won in Armenia without either; before that it was the 1-0 win over the Czechs in the previous Nations League campaign. The two was Kazakhstan (H) and Cyprus (A) at the back end of our last Euro qualifying campaign - winning both.

5 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Hendry needs to be starting every time imo. Him deciding to move to Belgium was cracking decision for his career, will have to see how he gets on in Italy. Decent goal threat aswell.

Toss of coin for other CB if back 4 remains but Clarke will surely go back to 5 when Robertson is fit again.

Wouldn't surprise me if he goes back to a back 3 if Tierney fit to play and Taylor keeps his place as he was excellent when he came on. 

Gordon

Hendry.  Mckenna.  Tierney

Hickey/Ralston.                              Taylor

McGinn     McGregor

Fraser.        Adams.      Christie                   

That was absolutely brilliant I thought, nerve racking but brilliant. Proper ding dong but we were def the better team. Amazing scenes at the end. Can’t fault the players effort, they are all desperate to play for Scotland which is brilliant to watch. Hickey is ridiculous and should go higher than Brentford, I’d be amazed if he didn’t.

8 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

I could seriously see one of Robertson or Tierney playing wide midfield - replacing Armstrong - going forward.

We simply can not play Dykes and try to play the same formation / style. He changes the dynamics of our entire team. On Wed Ukraine's defence had to sit deeper as they were worried about Adams pace in behind. That allowed loads of space for our blocks of 2 and 3 midfielders to operate in. 

Tonight the ROI back line could push right up. Simply defend against the knock down and as a result our midfield were stiffled.

This isnt a criticism of Dykes as such. He is a limited footballer but he has shown he can do a job for us. But it has to be a job he can do. It like playing Crouch and expecting him to run the channells!!!

6 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

We simply can not play Dykes and try to play the same formation / style. He changes the dynamics of our entire team. On Wed Ukraine's defence had to sit deeper as they were worried about Adams pace in behind. That allowed loads of space for our blocks of 2 and 3 midfielders to operate in. 

Tonight the ROI back line could push right up. Simply defend against the knock down and as a result our midfield were stiffled.

This isnt a criticism of Dykes as such. He is a limited footballer but he has shown he can do a job for us. But it has to be a job he can do. It like playing Crouch and expecting him to run the channells!!!

Dykes is as quick as Adams (acceptable but not rapid), but he isn’t able to bring the ball in and spin on the half turn like Adams can. It does change the way we play and there were a few lazy out balls played to Dykes’ head that were unnecessary. I prefer Dykes as an impact sub, but there are pluses and minuses with both players. As a team, we’re probably better with Adams to allow sustained possession. 

The swing back to Ireland when Hickey went off was remarkable.  Honestly thought we were going to go on and win comfortably but all the momentum drained out of us at that point.  Still, the better team won and it was good to see Martin O'Neill's bitter, twisted little pus.

No VAR check on the KT incident when he had to go off?  Weird, thought that was a certain penalty.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Disagree with that. That was a 50 50 game, if anything we edge it slightly. 

Agree. Over the 90 mins I think we edged it.  Too many expected the same as Wednesday night but Ireland were more prepared for us. 
I would have played Adams instead of Dykes but no harm in the end. Job got done. 

4 minutes ago, JECK said:

Ireland were horrible I thought. Team full of cheating hackers - was Martin O’Neill in charge tonight?! And it got too much for them at the end🤣 Thoroughly delighted this evening

They were definitely rattled at the end . We were the ‘ time wasting corner’ and it was brilliant 😂 So ‘not Scotland’. 

4 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Dykes is as quick as Adams (acceptable but not rapid), but he isn’t able to bring the ball in and spin on the half turn like Adams can. It does change the way we play and there were a few lazy out balls played to Dykes’ head that were unnecessary. I prefer Dykes as an impact sub, but there are pluses and minuses with both players. As a team, we’re probably better with Adams to allow sustained possession. 

Dykes is nowhere near as quick as Adams. Adams is also much more powerful when running. 

I like Dykes as an impact sub or even for games where teams are likely to sit deep.

4 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Must have watched a different game, Ireland better team first half and minus a spell after we scored it was even, they’ve missed a right good chance at 1-1 as well. 

but the result is all that matters 

Marginally better first half but apart from their goal from a set piece they didn’t really trouble. I thought we looked the better footballing side and affectively won in the 12th round.

10 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

They were definitely rattled at the end . We were the ‘ time wasting corner’ and it was brilliant 😂 So ‘not Scotland’. 

Can’t beat it, a hampden Saturday under the lights and a win against a close rival 👏