England - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England


oneforcolin
 Share

Recommended Posts

If we're promoted to League A we'll be second seeds.  So does that mean England, as they've been relegated to League B, will be third seeds? 🤔 Edit to say my question has been answered already in a different topic 😚

Edited by todd
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, todd said:

If we're promoted to League A we'll be second seeds.  So does that mean England, as they've been relegated to League B, will be third seeds? 🤔 Edit to say my question has been answered already in a different topic 😚

Come the World Cup qualifiers potentially. Although I think world cups are seeded based on FIFA rankings and UEFA uses nations league rankings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I need to spend more time looking at how this years World Cup play offs went. We were seeded and drew Ukraine - a League A team bottom placed team. We wouldn't be seeded if it's the same as this year but a WC play off would appear to secured none the less 

Edited by romanticscot
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

England are going to the World Cup and we’re not so I’m not sure we’re in a position to slag them at the moment. 

I would enjoy it if we get promoted to the league above them though. 

Football banter does not work like that though. You take any opportunity that comes your way for a piss-take and this is an opportunity. I'll bet Man United fans are revelling in Liverpool's below par start to the season even though Liverpool have been far more successful than them in recent seasons.

Edited by Caledonian Craig
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/24/2022 at 4:27 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

Football banter does not work like that though. You take any opportunity that comes your way for a piss-take and this is an opportunity. I'll bet Man United fans are revelling in Liverpool's below par start to the season even though Liverpool have been far more successful than them in recent seasons.

I find slagging a team that’s going to the World Cup when we are not for getting relegated in a tournament they don’t really give a toss about a bit of a brass neck. Just my opinion.

I don’t really give a shit about what England do to be honest but if it makes others happy then fair enough. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Just looked at the transfer market site. The Hungarian squad is valued at 80 million and 25 million of that is one guy. They must have one hell of a manager. 

Looks to me like a lot of the top teams/players don’t give a shit about the Nations League. Hungary are obviously taking it seriously. 

Would be interesting to see what we could do against the big teams if we could get there as we would obviously take it seriously as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You really have to laugh at the English reaction to being relegated in the Nations League, viewing it as a non event of a competition.

They usually stroll through qualifiers for World Cups and Euros scudding the minnows on way. 

Along comes the Nations League which gives them some competitive matches against perceived similar standard opposition and they can’t compete against them. 

Since the conception of the Nations League they have won 5 ( five ) out of 19 games they’ve played including the 2 draws when they fluked getting to the finals.

They are blind to accept how poor they really are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Stockholm 1980 said:

You really have to laugh at the English reaction to being relegated in the Nations League, viewing it as a non event of a competition.

They usually stroll through qualifiers for World Cups and Euros scudding the minnows on way. 

Along comes the Nations League which gives them some competitive matches against perceived similar standard opposition and they can’t compete against them. 

Since the conception of the Nations League they have won 5 ( five ) out of 19 games they’ve played including the 2 draws when they fluked getting to the finals.

They are blind to accept how poor they really are.

They clearly don’t take it that seriously and they’re not the only ones. France and Germany are currently third in their groups and Spain may well finish 3rd. 

Belgium could possibly win their group but they’ll need to go to Amsterdam and win by at least 3 goals to have a chance. Kevin de Bruyne has stated recently he thinks the Nations League is a waste of time. If he thinks that I wonder what his feelings on friendlies are. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Long time since I have heard such open animosity towards "them" at Hampden park...

Was it because we were playing Ireland ?
With whom we share a common dislike of the morris dancers.

Or are people finally getting pissed off with brexit, johnson, no indy ref2 <etc> ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

Long time since I have heard such open animosity towards "them" at Hampden park...

Was it because we were playing Ireland ?
With whom we share a common dislike of the morris dancers.

Or are people finally getting pissed off with brexit, johnson, no indy ref2 <etc> ?

I think it was simply that "they" got relegated and we haven't have many opportunities to laugh at them recently. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stockholm 1980 said:

You really have to laugh at the English reaction to being relegated in the Nations League, viewing it as a non event of a competition.

They usually stroll through qualifiers for World Cups and Euros scudding the minnows on way. 

Along comes the Nations League which gives them some competitive matches against perceived similar standard opposition and they can’t compete against them. 

Since the conception of the Nations League they have won 5 ( five ) out of 19 games they’ve played including the 2 draws when they fluked getting to the finals.

They are blind to accept how poor they really are.

Was just about to say the same thing myself. They've grown used to running up cricket scores against teams like Kosovo and Montenegro in qualifying groups and qualifying at a canter. They expect rather than hope to win games but that isn't always going to be the case when you're up against the likes of Germany and Italy. The Hungary result was a bit of a beamer but there's nae shame in losing 1-0 to Italy in the San Siro.

Now they've gone down to League B though expect them to start scudding teams again, the result being an artificially inflated sense of their own ability!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I find slagging a team that’s going to the World Cup when we are not for getting relegated in a tournament they don’t really give a toss about a bit of a brass neck. Just my opinion.

 

Sorry but you are sounding like an England supporter there trying to excuse away bad form.

They are in a final run of matches leading up to the World Cup. No way does any team want to be going into it on the sort of run England are on. No way whatsoever. Players have their squad places to fight for too. And relegation invites a tougher draw for the Euros which no team actively seeks. Truth is they have been playing crap as results show and stats like not scoring from open play for a few games too support that.

Edited by Caledonian Craig
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sorry but you are sounding like an England supporter there trying to excuse away bad form.

They are in a final run of matches leading up to the World Cup. No way does any team want to be going into it on the sort of run England are on. No way whatsoever. Players have their squad places to fight for too. And relegation invites a tougher draw for the Euros which no team actively seeks. Truth is they have been playing crap as results show and stats like not scoring from open play for a few games too support that.

i’m the furthest thing from an England supporter and I’m not trying to excuse anything. They clearly don’t value the Nations League along with a lot of the other higher ranked teams. Have a look at the league A tables if you don’t believe me. 

I don’t think for a minute that anyone involved with England wanted to get relegated. They probably thought they could just turn up and coast to at least second or third in the group but Hungary and Italy had other ideas.

Sadly England will very likely be in Germany in 2024 whether they are in pot 2 or not and they know that. 

I just find the chants aimed at England a bit embarrassing when they will be at the World Cup and we didn’t qualify yet again and there’s also a very good chance we will still be in league B with them in the next nations league. We are basically laughing at them for being in a potentially better position than us. Maybe if we do secure promotion we’d have something to slag them for but not yet.

Feel free to sing what you want though and I’ll feel free not to join in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

i’m the furthest thing from an England supporter and I’m not trying to excuse anything. They clearly don’t value the Nations League along with a lot of the other higher ranked teams. Have a look at the league A tables if you don’t believe me. 

I don’t think for a minute that anyone involved with England wanted to get relegated. They probably thought they could just turn up and coast to at least second or third in the group but Hungary and Italy had other ideas.

Sadly England will very likely be in Germany in 2024 whether they are in pot 2 or not and they know that. 

I just find the chants aimed at England a bit embarrassing when they will be at the World Cup and we didn’t qualify yet again and there’s also a very good chance we will still be in league B with them in the next nations league. We are basically laughing at them for being in a potentially better position than us. Maybe if we do secure promotion we’d have something to slag them for but not yet.

Feel free to sing what you want though and I’ll feel free not to join in. 

Agreed. Some folks obsession with England is cringe worthy, real chip on both shoulders stuff. When they lose have a chuckle then move on, they’re only the enemy when we’re play them for me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share



×
×
  • Create New...