Joe Baker -career stats - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Joe Baker -career stats

19 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Pretty impressive player. Seems to have not gained the same level of recognition as other players in that era. 

301 goals in 507 games including 114 goals in 137 for Hibs.

Had a great goals per game ratio at other clubs as well. 

His brother Gerry scored 10 goals in one game for St Mirren in 1960 in the 3rd round of the Scottish cup ( we were the cup holders at the time ) 

My dad’s hero, banged in all 4 goals against the hertz as a 17 year old when the Hibernians pumped them out the cup. Wore white boots which was unusual for the time and kept Brian Clough out of the England team, although he wasn’t as good when he returned to Hibs apparently due to having long sideburns!

3 hours ago, dan cake said:

My dad’s hero, banged in all 4 goals against the hertz as a 17 year old when the Hibernians pumped them out the cup. Wore white boots which was unusual for the time and kept Brian Clough out of the England team, although he wasn’t as good when he returned to Hibs apparently due to having long sideburns!

I lost that book ovebrthe years but gut going to order it ttmorrow.  Great read.  The Fabulous Baker \boys.  Gerry was capped for America and Joe for England.  And the pair of them were Scottish through and through.  But in those days you could only play for the country you were born in.  Pre 1966 Joe was asked to join the England camp for World Cup.  He got the train down and then asked for a taxi to take him to the England camps traing headquarters.  On the way the taxi driver stopped and phoned the police as he thought Joe was some mad Scotsman looking to cause trouble.  When the police arrived they recognised Joe.  Some brilliant stories aboutthe two of them.

4 hours ago, dan cake said:

Cloughy was some player too! Cracking goal scoring record. 
I mind watching an interview with Baker about the time he was first capped - the security at the door when he reported for duty didn’t let him in as he was an unknown down there with a thick Scottish accent

Edit: Sorry, SamP basically just told the same story above 😆

Edited by McTeeko

26 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Cloughy was some player too! Cracking goal scoring record. 
I mind watching an interview with Baker about the time he was first capped - the security at the door when he reported for duty didn’t let him in as he was an unknown down there with a thick Scottish accent

Edit: Sorry, SamP basically just told the same story above 😆

Clough used to get annoyed that folk forgot how good a player he was once he became a manager 

5 hours ago, dan cake said:

41MrNC8RB7L._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

14 hours ago, EddardStark said:

Pretty impressive player. Seems to have not gained the same level of recognition as other players in that era. 

301 goals in 507 games including 114 goals in 137 for Hibs.

Had a great goals per game ratio at other clubs as well. 

No old firm connection, we all know how our media works

28 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

I think Hibs signed Gerry from Man City to replace brother Joe when he left to join Law at Torino, may be wrong don’t think they ever played in the same Hibs team together

I think you are correct here Jim.  Ordered the book from Amazon.  One thing I have to correct myself on is that said that the taxi driver to tame him to the '66 (see what I did there Ramy), he didn't phone the police, I think he actually took Joe to a police station.

• 1 month later...