Team against ireland - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team against ireland

mccaughey85

With 3 games in six days, some players need rotated.   Ireland have the luxury of only two games, but if we want to win the group, then Ukraine away is the "six pointer".

Feels a bit like double-or-quits though.   Throw everything at Ireland to bank try to 2nd, or hold too much back?

Hope there's a plan for 6 points but it's more than we usually get!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

With 3 games in six days, some players need rotated.   Ireland have the luxury of only two games, but if we want to win the group, then Ukraine away is the "six pointer".

Feels a bit like double-or-quits though.   Throw everything at Ireland to bank try to 2nd, or hold too much back?

Surley to fuck professional football players can manage 3 games in 6 days ffs. 

Look at athletes around the world and the tournament's they play, two days in a row etc.

Not much to ask these guys to put a few shifts in, in a week.

I they can't do it they aren't fit enough, simple as that.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

It wouldn't make much difference to us. If Armenia finish bottom we drop off 6 points and +5 GD. The other way Iceland/Israel/Albania would gain 6 points and +6 GD.

It would potentially make a difference to us (and all the other teams in our league) in terms of the overall ranking in the nations league. 

Why should all the teams in group B2 be given 2 3-0 wins (which they would never have got anywhere near if the games were actually played)? This would give all the teams in B2 an unfair advantage over the teams in B1, B3 and B4. 

Discounting the results against 4th placed teams means nobody has an unfair advantage. 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

It wouldn't make much difference to us. If Armenia finish bottom we drop off 6 points and +5 GD. The other way Iceland/Israel/Albania would gain 6 points and +6 GD.

Aye but why should they gain 6 points on us? 

It would potentially make a difference to us (and all the other teams in our league) in terms of the overall ranking in the nations league. 

Why should all the teams in group B2 be given 2 3-0 wins (which they would likely never have got anywhere near if the games were actually played)? This would give all the teams in B2 an unfair advantage over the teams in B1, B3 and B4. 

Discounting the results against 4th placed teams means nobody has an unfair advantage. 

1 hour ago, Grim Jim said:

If we beat Ireland on Saturday a draw would be enough away to Ukraine that is assuming Ukraine win away to Armenia.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If we beat Ireland on Saturday a draw would be enough away to Ukraine that is assuming Ukraine win away to Armenia.

Two draws would be enough, as head-to-head record is the primary tie-breaker in UEFA competitions. If we avoid defeat against Ireland, Ukraine will have to beat us to win the group.

6 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Aye but why should they gain 6 points on us? 

Why should all the teams in group B2 be given 2 3-0 wins (which they would likely never have got anywhere near if the games were actually played)? This would give all the teams in B2 an unfair advantage over the teams in B1, B3 and B4. 

I'm not saying that's what they should just that they might. This is UEFA we are talking about. They do some strange things and I'm just wondering why they haven't announced it. They should let teams know where they stand as soon as possible. I agree with you that us dropping 6 points is probably the best way to do it. I'd just like to know for sure.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes that is correct so the Ukraine away match is not a six pointer in my book. 

Hopefully it is a one pointer. Or if Armenia can do the business against Ukraine hopefully we can beat Ireland and make the Ukraine game a no pointer. 😉

53 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Hopefully it is a one pointer. Or if Armenia can do the business against Ukraine hopefully we can beat Ireland and make the Ukraine game a no pointer. 😉

True. That would be great.

The rewards for topping this group are many:-

Guaranteed play-off spot for the euros.

Guaranteed to be in pot 2 for the Euro Qualifying draw. A long time since we have been there.

Promotion to League A and matches against the best teams in Europe.

52 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Aye, glad to see we take the NL seriously.   Firstly though I just want memory of Dublin wiped with a good win here.

Absolutely this.

I want us to scud Ireland and see Ryan Fraser turn Shane Duffy inside out so bad he falls over and greets for his mammy!

Dublin hurt really bad. Mostly because we didnt see a performance like that coming. The players owe us one.

Edited by Judith

Ireland sent us home tae think a...fucking LOT - what a hiding that was in the summer there and fair dues to them, 100% the side.

Ireland have some really talented players coming through. It's a 'derby' and we have a history of freezing and not performing - but going on Wednesday's performance ; where the fèck was that in the summer or Ukraine WC playoff?

NL is great though ; Ireland will go for it at a point surely - they could win in Scotland and who knows what happens in Ukraine/Armenia.

It's going to be tough, but if we can WIN this group. We'll have shown some character (mind we shat it in the Czech/Slovak/Israel group where we were 5 pts clear with 2 games to go I think) and securing a playoff would hopefully be a wee bonus for the qualifying/along with potentially being a second seed for the Euros.

Still, it's Scotland!

11 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Took a look on the Brentford forum to find out what they think about Aaron Hickey.

Found numerous recent ranting posts from former TAMBer Chripper 🤣

Oh, and the Brentford fans love Hickey.

Haven't seen enough or know enough, but what I have, he's an excellent player. Seems to be making good career moves as well. He's still young, so I just hope he keeps progressing like he has.

Makes a change as well. Often EPL fan boys give ''Jocks'' a bit of griet e.g Darren Fletcher and McTominay at Man Utd - although McT seems to be getting rave reviews so far this season - long may it continue.

7 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Haven't seen enough or know enough, but what I have, he's an excellent player. Seems to be making good career moves as well. He's still young, so I just hope he keeps progressing like he has.

Makes a change as well. Often EPL fan boys give ''Jocks'' a bit of griet e.g Darren Fletcher and McTominay at Man Utd - although McT seems to be getting rave reviews so far this season - long may it continue.

Those Man Utd fans didn't realise how good a job Fletch did for them over the years until he was gone. Some of the abuse he took from their fans was ridiculous.

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I'm not saying that's what they should just that they might. This is UEFA we are talking about. They do some strange things and I'm just wondering why they haven't announced it. They should let teams know where they stand as soon as possible. I agree with you that us dropping 6 points is probably the best way to do it. I'd just like to know for sure.

If Armenia overtake Ireland (unlikely but possible) then we won’t drop 6 points. 

I have a feeling UEFA probably have announced it or at the very least it will be in the Nations League regulations document. I had a look at that last night but I lost the will to live after 2 minutes. 

With regards to getting promoted to group A in the NL (and obviously I know that hasn’t happened yet so don’t want to get ahead of myself here…):

If we got into the top section it would be good for the squad and particularly the younger players to test themselves against better teams. The worst that could happen is we get a few humpings and get sent back down to group B, no real harm done.

BUT,

Are we better off in section B as we have a better chance of winning a group (or even coming second) and getting a play-off spot? If we are in group A, there’s much less chance of winning or being runner-up in a group?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but always wondered if that was one of the weird things about NL.

46 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

With regards to getting promoted to group A in the NL (and obviously I know that hasn’t happened yet so don’t want to get ahead of myself here…):

If we got into the top section it would be good for the squad and particularly the younger players to test themselves against better teams. The worst that could happen is we get a few humpings and get sent back down to group B, no real harm done.

BUT,

Are we better off in section B as we have a better chance of winning a group (or even coming second) and getting a play-off spot? If we are in group A, there’s much less chance of winning or being runner-up in a group?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but always wondered if that was one of the weird things about NL.

I could be wrong here as the Nations League rules are pretty confusing, but I think any League A teams who dont qualify as of right get a play off place. Its just most of them generally qualify as of right so its not needed. So being in League A should guarantee a play off.

Or am I wrong there?

Edited by Judith

I believe you are right. Highest ranked unqualified teams in League A will go into a play off for the World Cup. We might even play league B teams outside of the top 4. Also, as the next world cup in 2026 is larger UEFA will receive 16 spots instead of 13 so it is vitally we get into league A as it will have implications for the next two campaigns. 

23 minutes ago, Judith said:

I could be wrong here as the Nations League rules are pretty confusing, but I think any League A teams who dont qualify as of right get a play off place. Its just most of them generally qualify as of right so its not needed. So being in League A should guarantee a play off.

Or am I wrong there?

This time round there are 4 play off places allocated to League A. So, if 4 League A teams fail to qualify directly those 4 teams will contest the League A playoffs. If 5 League A teams fail to qualify directly, then one of them would miss out on the play offs. But that is highly unlikely to happen. 

The rules for next time round haven't been announced yet and because any play offs would be for the World Cup the rules will be different.

15 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I believe you are right. Highest ranked unqualified teams in League A will go into a play off for the World Cup. We might even play league B teams outside of the top 4. Also, as the next world cup in 2026 is larger UEFA will receive 16 spots instead of 13 so it is vitally we get into league A as it will have implications for the next two campaigns. 

Aye, that's my understanding too - unless the authorities tinker with the rules again, which is a distinct possibility!

23 hours ago, Judith said:

Absolutely this.

I want us to scud Ireland and see Ryan Fraser turn Shane Duffy inside out so bad he falls over and greets for his mammy!

Dublin hurt really bad. Mostly because we didnt see a performance like that coming. The players owe us one.

Brilliant!!!

Hopefully we can control the game from the start, play our own passing game and not be dragged down to their level.

Was feeling pretty confident about todays game, thought if we play like we did on Wednesday we should win. 

Still think that’s the case but had a look at Irelands results over the last year or so. I remember going into the game in June, there was a lot of talk about Ireland being on a bad run, coach under pressure, etc., their results don’t look that disastrous. They’ve had draws against Portugal, Belgium, Serbia and Hungary, who are doing brilliantly in the NL. Apart from losing to Armenia and losing 0-1 at home to Luxembourg, their results are fairly respectable, no one has beaten them by more than one goal so today won’t be easy.