Team against ireland - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team against ireland

mccaughey85

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Anderson has a mouth and it is his career. He needs to be forthright and honest and state categorically who he wishes to represent now.

Personally I'd arrange for him to have a chat with McTominay who came under media pressure to choose England but shocked a lot of people (including me) by going with his heart and choosing Scotland.

Btw still no word on those late call ups ?

Noticed Conway is starting for the U21S.

29 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I fear that may be “injured”. Should have been in the full squad. Gut feeling is he’ll end up in the England first 11. 

Apparently it is legit, as it kept him out the Newcastle squad at the weekend.

He gets one more switch and then he he tied down, so I suspect he will remain in U21's for time being as England have no real need for him any time soon.

3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Personally I'd arrange for him to have a chat with McTominay who came under media pressure to choose England but shocked a lot of people (including me) by going with his heart and choosing Scotland.

Btw still no word on those late call ups ?

Noticed Conway is starting for the U21S.

My guess is the players to be called up will be outwith the U-21 squad. Nothing adventurous. More like a Shankland/McBurnie-type or Ollie Burke.

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am fairly confident Ukraine will win V Armenia but they'll have to tread carefully. They have a heck of a lot of players on yellow cards and we know Armenia like to mix it physically so they could find themselves short of a player or two through suspension against us.

I've had another wee look at the play off regulations and, if my understanding is correct???, then we have a decent chance of a play off spot even if we finish 2nd. So, I want us to go all out for the win against Ireland to increase our chances of being first in line for that play off spot if we were to finish 2nd. It would be a poor consolation to winning the group and getting a pot 2 place in the EURO draw but better than nothing. 

37 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I've had another wee look at the play off regulations and, if my understanding is correct???, then we have a decent chance of a play off spot even if we finish 2nd. So, I want us to go all out for the win against Ireland to increase our chances of being first in line for that play off spot if we were to finish 2nd. It would be a poor consolation to winning the group and getting a pot 2 place in the EURO draw but better than nothing. 

A draw against Ireland would secure second place in the group but aye the more points we get the better chance we’ll have of reaching the playoffs if we finish second in our Nations League group. 

If we finish in the top 26 in the overall Nations League rankings then we will have a decent chance of a playoff. We would finish 24th at worst if we finish second in our group. 

Hopefully we’ll win the group though and won’t need to worry about the permutations and can relax a bit in the qualifiers and secure automatic qualification. Wouldn’t that be good? 

17 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

A draw against Ireland would secure second place in the group but aye the more points we get the better chance we’ll have of reaching the playoffs if we finish second in our Nations League group. 

If we finish in the top 26 in the overall Nations League rankings then we will have a decent chance of a playoff. We would finish 24th at worst if we finish second in our group. 

Hopefully we’ll win the group though and won’t need to worry about the permutations and can relax a bit in the qualifiers and secure automatic qualification. Wouldn’t that be good? 

It wouldn't be Scotland if we didn't have to worry about the permutations. 😂

If we finish 2nd in our group then the higher up the rankings we finish the better chance we have of a play off against League B teams. If we finish lower down we could be up against a League A team in our play off route, if one of them don't qualify automatically. But, aye hopefully we can qualify automatically this time so we don't need to bother about the play offs at all.

37 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

It wouldn't be Scotland if we didn't have to worry about the permutations. 😂

If we finish 2nd in our group then the higher up the rankings we finish the better chance we have of a play off against League B teams. If we finish lower down we could be up against a League A team in our play off route, if one of them don't qualify automatically. But, aye hopefully we can qualify automatically this time so we don't need to bother about the play offs at all.

I don’t have the energy to look into it again but if we scrape into the playoffs by finishing second we’ll need to hope at least a couple of the league B group winners qualify automatically for us to be in the league B playoff path. 

If we don’t qualify automatically then I hope all League A teams (except England obviously 😂) do then there will be no League A teams in the playoffs. 

25 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Consider resting Celtic or ex Celtic players because it’s Ireland. We need everyone wanting to win this game. 

I bet that sounded clever and witty in your head before you posted that. About as funny as a brain tumour.

Anyway, what happened to these late call ups ? Has Clarke just changed his mind about them ?

21 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t have the energy to look into it again but if we scrape into the playoffs by finishing second we’ll need to hope at least a couple of the league B group winners qualify automatically for us to be in the league B playoff path. 

If we don’t qualify automatically then I hope all League A teams (except England obviously 😂) do then there will be no League A teams in the playoffs. 

Aye, If all 16 League A teams qualify automatically, then we could be in a play off route along with a League D team plus another two from League B. Knowing our luck though, there will probably be a couple of League A teams that do an Italy or a Netherlands and need to use their play off spot.  I'm not sure if they have decided what to do about the group that Russia should have been in, when it comes to deciding the ranking of the 2nd place team in that group. Lots of complications and permutations.