Team against ireland - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team against ireland

mccaughey85

Whats everyones thoughts on who should start on saturday?

Obviously the team played well tonight so starting the same eleven barring patterson is an option but dykes scoring 2 has perhaps made an argument for him starting as well as fraser.

Not sure what i would choose but tonights team played well so i would be tempted to keep it the same for saturday.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah agree with everyone above. Armstrong probably deserves to be replaced due to missing so many chances with Fraser deserving of a chance. 

That being said no one could grumble if it was the same starting 11 and Hickey for Saturday. 

Two players being called up today, be interesting to see who they are; Elliot Anderson has been suggested & possibly a defender with Hanley & Patterson out. 

2 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Yeah agree with everyone above. Armstrong probably deserves to be replaced due to missing so many chances with Fraser deserving of a chance. 

That being said no one could grumble if it was the same starting 11 and Hickey for Saturday. 

Two players being called up today, be interesting to see who they are; Elliot Anderson has been suggested & possibly a defender with Hanley & Patterson out. 

The only reason i want fraser in is to freshen it up a little. Armstrong played very well despite the missed chances. The whole front 4 pressed and harassed Ukraine the whole match, it was brilliant to watch

13 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Not to start but I think I would call up Ralston as cover at right back. Hope Patterson's injury is not as bad as it looked. Hickey was excellent when he came on but I thought Patterson was looking very good before his injury. 

Ralstons already in the squad 😂

This is an interesting one for Steve Clarke. I don't know what his usual routine is about when he decides on the team and when he tells the players who is playing. Obviously he doesn't have to announce it until just before the game. But he will know the result of Armenia v Ukraine game about 3 hours before we kick off. If we get really lucky and Armenia nick a point off them, then all of a sudden the Ireland game becomes even huger than it already is. We beat Ireland, we win the group. But if, as expected, Ukraine win their game, then will that change Clarke's thinking about how he manages the squad? In that scenario a draw v Ireland is pretty much the same as a win in terms of winning the group. Either way we would still need to get at least a draw in Krakow. I'm not saying he would set out to play for a draw but he would have to be also thinking about his team for the Ukraine game.

I don't know how he sleeps at night. 😂

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

This is an interesting one for Steve Clarke. I don't know what his usual routine is about when he decides on the team and when he tells the players who is playing. Obviously he doesn't have to announce it until just before the game. But he will know the result of Armenia v Ukraine game about 3 hours before we kick off. If we get really lucky and Armenia nick a point off them, then all of a sudden the Ireland game becomes even huger than it already is. We beat Ireland, we win the group. But if, as expected, Ukraine win their game, then will that change Clarke's thinking about how he manages the squad? In that scenario a draw v Ireland is pretty much the same as a win in terms of winning the group. Either way we would still need to get at least a draw in Krakow. I'm not saying he would set out to play for a draw but he would have to be also thinking about his team for the Ukraine game.

I don't know how he sleeps at night. 😂

I am fairly confident Ukraine will win V Armenia but they'll have to tread carefully. They have a heck of a lot of players on yellow cards and we know Armenia like to mix it physically so they could find themselves short of a player or two through suspension against us.

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The only reason i want fraser in is to freshen it up a little. Armstrong played very well despite the missed chances. The whole front 4 pressed and harassed Ukraine the whole match, it was brilliant to watch

Agree with this. Mentioned on the other thread that we may need to change things a bit as Ireland will be aware of the potential Fraser/Dykes danger if its stalemate after 60 mins. I thought Armstrong did well but missed too many chances . Probably would start Fraser but not Dykes, as I mentioned on other thread , Dykes may not get the same space on Saturday and become frustrated. 

I felt McGinn looked exhausted by the end last , think Clarke should have subbed him at 2-0 to help a bit with the next 2 games. 

I don't see a lot of merit in starting with Dykes. Ireland are better equipped with big defenders to deal with his aerial threat and feel Adams would cause more problems for them than Dykes. The midfield done very well last night and I would not want to see too many changes so I'd leave it unchanged or perhaps rest Christie For Fraser or Armstrong for Fraser.

54 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I don't see a lot of merit in starting with Dykes. Ireland are better equipped with big defenders to deal with his aerial threat and feel Adams would cause more problems for them than Dykes. The midfield done very well last night and I would not want to see too many changes so I'd leave it unchanged or perhaps rest Christie For Fraser or Armstrong for Fraser.

If I had to guess, I'd say he'll go with the same 10 plus Hickey.

I personally would swap the roles of Armstrong and Fraser. Make Armstrong the impact sub this time. 

I think Dykes could have a very winnable battle against Duffy. So I'd be tempted to swap out Adams as well. Especially since his confidence will be sky high. 

I suspect that he will keep the same team, but I do think he will use certain players sparingly ie he may decide to use Tierney v Ireland, but rest him against Ukraine, or move him into CLB in one game, rather than LB like last night.

Last night it felt like we used McT more as a sweeping midfielder, and went a more traditional 4 at the back, but with McT tracking back a few times.

It’s possible Arsenal are putting pressure on to restrict the number of minutes Tierney might play given he got injured during a previous international break. I’m sure one of the reasons they bought Zinchenko was so Tierney didn’t need to play twice a week. We could tell them to go fuck themselves but it might be in our interests not to overplay him and keep him fit. I wouldn’t be surprised if Tierney is on the bench at the weekend.