EURO 2024 - Discussion Thread - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

EURO 2024 - Discussion Thread

romanticscot

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst I dont think we should go into fear mode about Norway, we also shouldnt fall into the trap of thinking they are a 1 man team. They currentlt have guys playing for Leipzig, Brentford, Napoli, Feyenoord x2, Benfica, Southampton and the captain of Arsenal along with several playing in Spain etc

3 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Whilst I dont think we should go into fear mode about Norway, we also shouldnt fall into the trap of thinking they are a 1 man team. They currentlt have guys playing for Leipzig, Brentford, Napoli, Feyenoord x2, Benfica, Southampton and the captain of Arsenal along with several playing in Spain etc

Yes but we can boast the same but in the last couple of years or so we have had the better results/performances. 

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

Their International form is poor but if the players Norway have available start to click they would be a very strong side.

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Their International form is poor but if the players Norway have available start to click they would be a very strong side.

Next few years they should be a really good team. They have young guys like ajer, odegarrd and haaland. They Should be able to build a good team around that spine that can qualify for tournaments. Lets just hope they dont find form in this qualifying campaign.

7 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

And by far the best striker in the world 

On 10/9/2022 at 6:24 PM, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh true but spain are a proper heavyweight nation and we rarely beat those kinds of nations. I reckon we can give it a good go at hampden but personally i would bite the hand of a draw in that game.

we beat this very team in November 1984

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Whats your point buddy?

Point is times change. Form is far more important to our opponents results from yesteryear and similarly for us. Going on current form then Spain win the group and we finish second and yes that is even with Norway having Haaland. He has been in their squads and team for two years now and for all his goals he alone could not get them through to the World Cup Finals or top their Nations League in League B. 

Edited by Caledonian Craig

14 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Point is times change. Form is far more important to our opponents results from yesteryear and similarly for us. Going on current form then Spain win the group and we finish second and yes that is even with Norway having Haaland. He has been in their squads and team for two years now and for all his goals he alone could not get them through to the World Cup Finals or top their Nations League in League B. 

Lol what are we disagreeing about?

Us beating spain in 1984 isnt exactly great news. Its that long ago that i wasnt even born. What matters is the current spain team/squad should be able to beat us in both games. Lets hope they dont. The same old ridiculous optimism comes out when scotland win a few games. Its crazy because you would think ppl would learn by now. Never get your hopes up with scotland. Always lower your expectations. That way you wont be too disappointed when we royally fuck things.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Us beating spain in 1984 isnt exactly great news. Its that long ago that i wasnt even born. What matters is the current spain team/squad should be able to beat us in both games. Lets hope they dont. The same old ridiculous optimism comes out when scotland win a few games. Its crazy because you would think ppl would learn by now. Never get your hopes up with scotland. Always lower your expectations. That way you wont be too disappointed when we royally fuck things.

we beat France home and away when they were so called heavyweights and we had a team not much more talented than the team we have now.

we should be looking to win our home games against any side.  

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

There is cause for optimism which everybody connected with Scotland need. Spain are not the world beating side of a decade or so ago plus we have proven in recent times we can mix it with top sides beating Denmark, drawing with England at Wembley and going to Serbia to win a key play-off. Those are all results Spain would be happy with. Do not get me wrong I think Spain will win the group but if we can takes points off them then we have a very good chance of second spot. 

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

we beat France home and away when they were so called heavyweights and we had a team not much more talented than the team we have now.

we should be looking to win our home games against any side.  

Irrelevant as we have a totally different set of players and manager plus France then were a totally different side from Spain of today. 

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

There is cause for optimism which everybody connected with Scotland need. Spain are not the world beating side of a decade or so ago plus we have proven in recent times we can mix it with top sides beating Denmark, drawing with England at Wembley and going to Serbia to win a key play-off. Those are all results Spain would be happy with. Do not get me wrong I think Spain will win the group but if we can takes points off them then we have a very good chance of second spot. 

Agree with this. I'm not sure why mccaughey85 thinks there is ridiculous optimisation ,there isn't. Every fan believes Spain will win the group but there is reason for Scotland fans to be optimistic. 

Apologies if already mentioned but Norway's start is a tricky looking double away to Spain and Georgia before us at home in the next batch. 

Could be pressure on them early doors if they slip up in Georgia and Spain start with a win. 

Alternatively could be pressure on us if they take 4 or 6 points from them 🤔 

Essentially 3 points v Cyprus is a must and then chuck the kitchen sink at Spain as they always seem to drop points somewhere early doors.

5 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Us beating spain in 1984 isnt exactly great news.

I beg to differ sir! It was one of the greatest nights of my life! Huge game under the lights. Fantastic performance capped by The Kings glorious finish! 

PS, I agree that it is no indication of future performance, but you have to dine out on these things!

Edited by Judith

I dont think anyone in our support will be getting carried away when these games arrive. We are in a good place right now, but we are all aware that our squad still has deficiencies. Its not the easiest draw, but its not the most difficult either. As top seeds go, the only one I would have chosen would be Hungary. But thats based purely on fancying a trip to Budapest, as they are flying right now and have a very good recent home record. I wouldnt have chosen Norway as there were easier teams in Pot 3 but Haaland aside, they are far from unbeatable. I also kinda like seeing the Worlds best players coming to Hampden, so we should view it as a privelege to see him play. Pots 4 and 5 are much of a muchness. Im glad we avoided Slovakia, but thats mostly PTSD. I think its an exciting draw and we didnt get Israel or Ukraine again, so its all good.

16 minutes ago, Judith said:

I dont think anyone in our support will be getting carried away when these games arrive. We are in a good place right now, but we are all aware that our squad still has deficiencies. Its not the easiest draw, but its not the most difficult either. As top seeds go, the only one I would have chosen would be Hungary. But thats based purely on fancying a trip to Budapest, as they are flying right now and have a very good recent home record. I wouldnt have chosen Norway as there were easier teams in Pot 3 but Haaland aside, they are far from unbeatable. I also kinda like seeing the Worlds best players coming to Hampden, so we should view it as a privelege to see him play. Pots 4 and 5 are much of a muchness. Im glad we avoided Slovakia, but thats mostly PTSD. I think its an exciting draw and we didnt get Israel or Ukraine again, so its all good.

We are saving them for the playoffs. 😂

You would think that in itself would be a big incentive for the players to go all out for one of the top two places. They must be sick fed up of playing against Ukraine and Israel.

20 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes but we can boast the same but in the last couple of years or so we have had the better results/performances. 

Looking at the 2 squads I would say we have slightly more quality throughout the team than Norway and certainly much more in terms of depth however they have 2 better attacking players including probably the best striker in the world. 

We have seen throughout history how far a top striker can take a mediocre side. 

That being said we shouldnt fear Norway. Max points against pots 4 and 5 is a must. Then beat Norway at home and aim for either a draw away or to take a point off Spain ans hope Norway dont.