EURO 2024 - Discussion Thread - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

EURO 2024 - Discussion Thread

romanticscot

16 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Spain, Germany, Italy, Belgium (twice), England and the Netherlands in qualifiers; France, Portugal, Argentina and Belgium in friendlies, off the top of my head.

I remember us beating France and Netherlands; drawing with Italy and Germany; losing to England and Italy (with a dodgy decision).

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh true but spain are a proper heavyweight nation and we rarely beat those kinds of nations. I reckon we can give it a good go at hampden but personally i would bite the hand of a draw in that game.

Seriously though these teams are there to be beaten. All the big teams have lost games they were expected to win fairly recently. 

Hampden is actually one of the hardest places in the world to come and win outside of the big countries.

We have the best home record in the short history of the nations league (along with Italy) albeit we haven’t faced any of the top nations. 

We haven’t lost a qualifier at home since Belgium and our record at Hampden in qualifiers is decent. The pot 1 team has failed to beat us there in 2 of our last 3 groups. 

We certainly won’t be favourites against Spain at Hampden but should we be looking to beat them there? Of course we should. Doesn’t mean we will beat them but if we go in looking for a draw at best than we certainly won’t beat them. Hopefully the players have more confidence than some of our support. 

6 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

I remember us beating France and Netherlands; drawing with Italy and Germany; losing to England and Italy (with a dodgy decision).

Fair point. Although, we rode our luck massively against the Dutch and French.

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol based on what evidence. How often do we beat a heavyweight team like spain?

By scoring more goals than they do.

Same way we've beaten every other 'heavyweight' team (Italy, Netherlands, Denmark, Austria, England, France, Ukraine, Croatia, Sweden etc).

We have previous for doing so.

Edited by Barney Rubble

32 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Add brazil in there aswell. Lol is there any heavyweight nation we havent lost to at hampden in the last 25 years. 

Gotta love the optimism in here. Three good games against ukraine and ireland and suddenly we are going to tank spain home and away. Lets just aim for second and if we can get anything from the spain games then great.

A couple of bad results in our opening games and its back to doom and gloom again.

Absolutely. I'm feeling happier with the way things are going than I have in a long, long time but it's going to take a lot to get anything from Spain.

4 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

By scoring more goals than they do.

Same way we've beaten every other 'heavyweight' team (Italy, Netherlands, Denmark, Austria, England, France, Ukraine, Croatia, Sweden etc).

We have previous for doing so.

Lol austria, ukraine and sweden are not heavyweight nations.

I am hopeful we can pull off an upset but realistically i want us to just make sure we do our job against the likes of georgia and cyprus and make sure we get second place. Its pretty unrealistic to expect us to win this group.

1 hour ago, Rich NATA said:

How many heavyweights have we lost to - at Hampden - in the past 25 years.

Not many from what I recall.

Going back to 1997, we've lost 15 competitive games at home in total (out of 75 - including those not a Hampden in that time); losing by more than one only six times - we've won 45. I'm not going to specify who I think were heavy weights at the time we played them though.

Those we've lost to (pots at the start of qualifying):

• 1999 - Czech Rep (Pot 2; 2-1), England (Pot 1; 2-0)
  • 2004 - Norway (Pot 4; 1-0)
  • 2005 - Belarus (Pot 5; 1-0)
  • 2007 - Italy (Pot 2; 2-1)
  • 2009 - Netherlands (Pot 1; 1-0)
  • 2010 - Spain (Pot 1; 3-2)
  • 2013 - Wales (Pot 6; 2-1), Belgium (Pot 3; 2-0)
  • 2015 - Germany (Pot 1; 3-2)
  • 2019 - Russia (Pot 2; 2-1), Belgium (Pot 1; 4-0)
  • 2021 - Czech Rep (Pot 2; 2-0), Croatia (Pot 1; 3-1)
  • 2022 - Ukraine (Pot 2; 3-1)

Our home record isn't too bad, but our away record has been appalling in comparison: Pld 75; W 26, D 17, L 32.

Spain (tough from Pot 1 but sooner them than Belgium, Netherlands and maybe even Croatia). 

Norway (tough from Pot 3) but let's not judge them on one player (Haaland). Evidently, their team is lacking in other areas if you look at recent results even with Haaland playing. 

Georgia is a potential banana skin but they are not the team they were with players like Averlahdze and Kinklahdse). And if they can upset us they can upset Norway. 

Cyprus was not the toughest team from Pot 5 so why the doom and gloom? 

32 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Spain (tough from Pot 1 but sooner them than Belgium, Netherlands and maybe even Croatia). 

Norway (tough from Pot 3) but let's not judge them on one player (Haaland). Evidently, their team is lacking in other areas if you look at recent results even with Haaland playing. 

Georgia is a potential banana skin but they are not the team they were with players like Averlahdze and Kinklahdse). And if they can upset us they can upset Norway. 

Cyprus was not the toughest team from Pot 5 so why the doom and gloom? 

I'd have rather drawn the Netherlands than Spain but aye, I'm glad we avoided Belgium.

10 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

Wonder where the Spain game will be played? Had a look at their recent results and it looks like they tend to play the 'big' games in Seville. Given we are the 2nd seed, a good possibility

We were wondering that today. Last time was Alicante, don't know if we were considered diddys back then. Was an absolutely brilliant trip mind you. Ended up in a wee local tapas bar up some tiny wee lane on the first day where we got a good few free drinks and decent tapas, couldn't find it again the whole 5 days we were there 🤣

5 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Add brazil in there aswell. Lol is there any heavyweight nation we havent lost to at hampden in the last 25 years. 

Gotta love the optimism in here. Three good games against ukraine and ireland and suddenly we are going to tank spain home and away. Lets just aim for second and if we can get anything from the spain games then great.

A couple of bad results in our opening games and its back to doom and gloom again.

Aw fuck up captain negative, you've got the world ending in the next few weeks anyway so we won't be playing these games 🤣

58 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Unpopular opinion incoming but here goes .....

Should we play our home tie against Cyprus at Pittodrie or Easter Road ?

I think at the moment, we could get 42,000+ at Hampden for the Cyprus game (assuming ticket prices aren't insane), so it's quite difficult to imagine a scenario where it would be realistic not playing at Hampden - unless the SFA suddenly decide to play a game at Murrayfield or something (which won't happen).

We'll probably end up with at least one home friendly next year, so that could be a good opportunity to play at one of those grounds - probably Pittodrie.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Have we not just won something like 6 competitive games in a row at Hampden, why would we want to make a change on a run like this? 

edit: Ukraine in June sandwiched in between 3 wins in wc qualifiers and 3 wins in the nations league.

Edited by Ak91

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

With the change in getting a loyalty point for home games and the current supporters membership approx. 32k it would mean some of the lower points members being unable to purchase a home ticket and thus with one of the current member benefits being a guaranteed home game, I think this will mean a move to another stadium ruled out.  If anything i think there is the potential to move one of the women's games as they got 10K fans there last week and would provide the opportunity to grow that game round the country and give a potential better atmosphere.

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Last time there was a game at Pittodrie Ryan Jack got booed by our own fans so wouldn’t be in a hurry to play a game there again anytime soon

3 hours ago, ghorne67 said:

The Cyprus game is the only Saturday home fixture so there's no way that will or should be getting moved away from Hampden.

Is the corrected fixture list released now?

Edited by romanticscot

8 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

As the SFA now owns Hampden I doubt we will play a qualifier or Nations League game anywhere else ever again unless Hampden is being renovated or a Robbie Williams type fuck up happens again. 

There is absolutely no need to move the Cyprus game anyway as we’ll get at least 40,000 for it I would think. Why would the SFA want to throw away at least £300,000 in ticket sales?