EURO 2024 - Discussion Thread - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

EURO 2024 - Discussion Thread

romanticscot

21 minutes ago, Ak91 said:

It is quite confusing because the Euro qualifying is still to take place and until it does, we don't know who is going to need a play off. 

For ease of thinking lets assume the following qualify through the actual qualification groups: 

Germany (Host Nation)

Other 15 A Group Participants (In pot 1 and 2)

5 Group B Participants (Group Winners and Best Runner Up (all in pot 2). 

This means the 12 play off positions would be taken by the following: 

3 No 2nd placed finishers from Nations League B Groups

4 No 3rd placed finishers from Nations League B Groups

1 No Best 4th Placed finisher

4 No Winners of Nations League C Groups. 

This is my understanding of how it would work. Obviously not everyone in pot 1 and 2 will qualify through the qualification groups but who ever doesn't would take a play off spot (there wont be many who don't qualify through the groups). 

I don't understand what you mean by that bit I have put in bold? What does "3 No 2nd" mean?

If the direct EURO qualifiers are as you suggest (i.e. all the pot 1 and pot 2 teams plus Germany) then I think it goes like this.

The first play off route is allocated to League C.

That would be all four League C group winners.

The League B play off route would be contested by the 4 highest ranked League B teams who have not already qualified. In your scenario that would be the teams ranked 6 to 9 in League B.

If there are no League A teams to contest the League A play off, then the first spot in that play off route goes to the highest ranked League D team (I think Estonia have already got that sewn up). The other 3 places would go to the teams ranked 10 to 12 in League B.

That is my understanding of it anyway. Could be wrong though?

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I don't understand what you mean by that bit I have put in bold? What does "3 No 2nd" mean?

If the direct EURO qualifiers are as you suggest (i.e. all the pot 1 and pot 2 teams plus Germany) then I think it goes like this.

The first play off route is allocated to League C.

That would be all four League C group winners.

The League B play off route would be contested by the 4 highest ranked League B teams who have not already qualified. In your scenario that would be the teams ranked 6 to 9 in League B.

If there are no League A teams to contest the League A play off, then the first spot in that play off route goes to the highest ranked League D team (I think Estonia have already got that sewn up). The other 3 places would go to the teams ranked 10 to 12 in League B.

That is my understanding of it anyway. Could be wrong though?

I just meant the remaining 3 runners up in the B groups (there is 4 but in my example I have assumed the best runner up has qualified through the groups as they are a pot 2 team). 

You could be right on group D winners, I think we are saying the same thing apart from this. 

1 hour ago, Ak91 said:

I just meant the remaining 3 runners up in the B groups (there is 4 but in my example I have assumed the best runner up has qualified through the groups as they are a pot 2 team). 

You could be right on group D winners, I think we are saying the same thing apart from this. 

Aye, I think we on the same lines. here. 

I'm pretty sure the League D bit is correct. I got that from here

https://documents.uefa.com/r/Regulations-of-the-UEFA-European-Football-Championship-2022-24/Article-15-Equality-of-points-qualifying-group-stage-Online

I think Estonia have already got a play off spot by beating Malta twice (both games 2-1) and San Marino 2-0. They still have to play San Marino again but they already have top place in League D in the bag. Unless four League A teams need their own play off places that is. 

On 9/25/2022 at 1:36 AM, TartanSpice said:

Yeh, you're right. Though there are other important matches for us.

Best case for us if we lose is Ireland also lose. If we both lose we're virtually guaranteed to get Pot 2 unless we lose by at least 6 to Ukraine.

If Ireland win/draw then we need 4 other sets of results to all go our way to still make Pot 2:

B2 - Iceland not to win

Iceland are away to Albania. 

B3 - Montenegro to finish second and Romania to finish bottom.

Montenegro are at home to Finland, Romania are at home to Bosnia. Romania must lose and Finland cannot win.

B4 - Sweden to finish bottom/not win.

Sweden are away to Slovenia. Sweden cannot win

TL;DR - Iceland, Sweden and Finland all must not win, and Romania must lose. If those all happen we can get leathered by a cricket score from Ukraine and still get Pot 2.

Oh well that is that option of best runners-up gone. Finland 2-0 and Romania winning against Bosnia.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Oh well that is that option of best runners-up gone. Finland 2-0 and Romania winning against Bosnia.

Utter bullshit rule, this discounting results against the bottom team.  Fair enough in a normal qualification process with differing numbers of teams in groups.  In that situation there is always going to be one poorly ranked team in each group.

That is not the case with the Nations League as each league generally consists of teams of a similar standard.  Finland have effectively been rewarded for failure to secure a decent tally of points from the team that were the worst in their group! 

In this case I think the fairer way would be to just give the points to all the teams in the group where one team 'never turned up'.  Pretty sure that's supposed to be the rule anyway.  Otherwise how have Poland ended up at the World Cup?  They were awarded the game as the opposition couldn't fulfill the fixture 🤔

2 minutes ago, todd said:

Utter bullshit rule, this discounting results against the bottom team.  Fair enough in a normal qualification process with differing numbers of teams in groups.  In that situation there is always going to be one poorly ranked team in each group.

That is not the case with the Nations League as each league generally consists of teams of a similar standard.  Finland have effectively been rewarded for failure to secure a decent tally of points from the team that were the worst in their group! 

In this case I think the fairer way would be to just give the points to all the teams in the group where one team 'never turned up'.  Pretty sure that's supposed to be the rule anyway.  Otherwise how have Poland ended up at the World Cup?  They were awarded the game as the opposition couldn't fulfill the fixture 🤔

It’s the only fair way to do it when more than one group is affected. Everyone else in League B would need to beat the bottom placed team in their group at least 3-0 just to get on an even keel with Iceland, Israel and Albania.

It only seems unfair because we would have 6 points deducted. If Armenia win tomorrow (unlikely to be fair) it could work out very nicely for us if we lose.  

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It’s the only fair way to do it when more than one group is affected. Everyone else in League B would need to beat the bottom placed team in their group at least 3-0 just to get on an even keel with Iceland, Israel and Albania.

It only seems unfair because we would have 6 points deducted. If Armenia win tomorrow (unlikely to be fair) it could work out very nicely for us if we lose.  

The annoying thing is, if they’d started those three teams on 6 points instead of deducting points from the bottom placed team, we’d have a much better chance of getting that best placed 2nd team than we do now. 🙈

2 minutes ago, TartanSpice said:

The annoying thing is, if they’d started those three teams on 6 points instead of deducting points from the bottom placed team, we’d have a much better chance of getting that best placed 2nd team than we do now. 🙈

We only have ourselves to blame for getting pumped in Dublin (and losing tomorrow night if we do end up in second place) I’m afraid. 

We can forget all about it with a good performance and at least a point tomorrow though. 

EURO 2024 Play Off in the bag.  That is now three major tournaments with plays off's secured, that is progress. Now we wait to check out our group on October 9th sitting in pot 2.  Top 2 gets us automatic qualification. I cant wait to see who we get in the draw.  

18 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

EURO 2024 Play Off in the bag.  That is now three major tournaments with plays off's secured, that is progress. Now we wait to check out our group on October 9th sitting in pot 2.  Top 2 gets us automatic qualification. I cant wait to see who we get in the draw.  

Sorry, could you expand.

What do you mean 3 major tournaments,,🤔

Right I think this is how the seeding pots will look now that the Nations League fixtures are complete:-

POT 1

Croatia

Denmark

Spain

Portugal

Italy

Hungary

Netherlands

Belgium

Switzerland

Poland

POT 2

England

Wales 

France

SCOTLAND

Bosnia H.

Israel

Serbia

Austria

Czech Republic

Finland

POT 3

Iceland

Sweden

Romania

Republic of Ireland

Slovenia

Albania

Montenegro

Armenia

Ukraine

Norway

POT 4

Georgia

Greece

Turkey

Kazhakstan

Luxembourg

Azerbaijan

Kosovo

Bulgaria

Faroe Islands

North Macedonia

POT 5

Slovakia

Northern Ireland

Cyprus

Belarus

Lithuania

Gibraltar

Estonia

Latvia

Moldova

Malta

POT 6

Andorra

San Marino

Liechtenstein

20 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Hopefully we won’t need the playoff (but understand your point 🙂)

I completely agree.  I think being 2nd seed is more valuable than having a play off but at a minimum we have it.  Ive seen a few points about what this could mean for World Cup 2026 play off, I am less optimistic of that.  Over the weekend I was looking at 2022 and how that played out.  I concluded League B would be better for us for World Cup but what just happened today was better for us for EURO 2024.   Off topic but the North America World Cup has 3 extra spots for UEFA.  I am also pretty sure seeding for World Cup 2026 is based off of FIFA rankings which in my minds means breaking into the top 20 in Europe is something we aim for.  Right now I think we are 23rd with Russia above us so we are getting closer.  Lots of football to play between now and the next World Cup qualifying draw. 

Edited by romanticscot

9 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Right I think this is how the seeding pots will look now that the Nations League fixtures are complete:-

POT 1

Croatia

Denmark

Spain

Portugal

Italy

Hungary

Netherlands

Belgium

Switzerland

Poland

POT 2

England

Wales 

France

SCOTLAND

Bosnia H.

Israel

Serbia

Austria

Czech Republic

Finland

POT 3

Iceland

Sweden

Romania

Republic of Ireland

Slovenia

Albania

Montenegro

Armenia

Ukraine

Norway

POT 4

Georgia

Greece

Turkey

Kazhakstan

Luxembourg

Azerbaijan

Kosovo

Bulgaria

Faroe Islands

North Macedonia

POT 5

Slovakia

Northern Ireland

Cyprus

Belarus

Lithuania

Gibraltar

Estonia

Latvia

Moldova

Malta

POT 6

Andorra

San Marino

Liechtenstein

Avoid Norway in pot 3 and Turkey in pot 4 and I would be delighted. 

39 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

We qualified for a play off for EURO 2020 by beating Serbia on pen's.

World Cup 2022 - Lost to Ukraine

Just qualified for EURO 2024 play offs today by winning our nations league group. 

Yep say what you like about Clarke but in qualifiers situation he's basically the new Craig Brown (excluding 2002) in consistently getting team into contention for tournaments now and getting on similar run Wales are and in past ROI.

I'm very confident play off insurance won't be needed and can qualify automatically this time as getting into pot 2 and avoiding likes of France and England is huge for balance of group.

Aside from the Ukraine defeat in June it's been a really good year since the flat euros performances. Likes of Patterson, Hendry, Hickey and Adams have all broken into the team and freshened things up and now squad has serious competition for places beyond central midfield.

Hopefully this De Zebri guy can get Gilmour going again and then it's not just a case of qualifying for euro 2024 but actually having a serious go at getting into last 16....

17 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Avoid Norway in pot 3 and Turkey in pot 4 and I would be delighted. 

Turkey are pretty poor on the road, lost to Faroes at the weekend so they'd be very beattable at Hampden.

Norway are odd. Can never seen to kick on with actual results but ultimately Odegaard and Haaland in final third must be respected.