EURO 2024 - Discussion Thread - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

EURO 2024 - Discussion Thread

romanticscot

21 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Let me just throw this out there - next Nations league we could be in League A with England, Wales and Rep of Ireland all in B and Northern Ireland in League C.

I was just saying this to my boy, we could, this time next week, as far as the nations league is concerned, be the highest ranked team in the British Isles 😁

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight was a decent night for Scotland. The results in the B group mean that it’s looking more likely we would be best 2nd place team if we weren’t to beat Ukraine next week, but would most likely need to beat Ireland tomorrow night for this to be the case. 

need to keep an eye out for Serbia’s result tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

Tell you what, people might think Hungary are a weak pot 1 team. Humping England at Wembley and following it up in Germany says otherwise

It was actually at Molineux but no less impressive. They have a far better team than their racist fans deserve.

4 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

It was actually at Molineux but no less impressive. They have a far better team than their racist fans deserve.

Stand corrected. Forgot it was full of weans at that West Midlands binfire. But still mullered them

The boos aimed at Southgate is telling. Sticking with an utter clown like Maguire who Ten Hag has seen sense in binning will be the death of him. Maguire makes Ryan Porteous look like Baresi

15 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

Maguire makes Ryan Porteous look like Baresi

Probably best to actually watch Porteous play rather than just base your opinion on Sportscene Gerrard and Goodwin. Luckily Stevie Clarke knows what he’s doing, 22 caps at under 19,20 and 21 level suggests he can play

On 9/22/2022 at 5:24 PM, Texas Pete said:

They’ll still likely get a playoff even if they are relegated. 

Really? I thought it was just if teams in their nations group don't finish top 2 in the actual qualifiers. No certainty Hungary would finish top 2, they were 3rd in last euros group with Wales pipping them on final day.

Real farce if you get relegated from nations league group and still can get in through play offs.

Bizarrely I think Sweden v Slovenia might be an important game for us. 

if we lose to Ukraine (which I don’t think we will) this game becomes big because if Sweden lose it, 6 points get taken away from Serbia or Norway for best 2nd place spot. If Sweden win it, only 4 points would be taken off Serbia or Norway’s tally meaning we’d most likely lose that best 2nd place spot. Happy to be corrected if I’ve missed a result somewhere. 

2 hours ago, Ak91 said:

Bizarrely I think Sweden v Slovenia might be an important game for us. 

if we lose to Ukraine (which I don’t think we will) this game becomes big because if Sweden lose it, 6 points get taken away from Serbia or Norway for best 2nd place spot. If Sweden win it, only 4 points would be taken off Serbia or Norway’s tally meaning we’d most likely lose that best 2nd place spot. Happy to be corrected if I’ve missed a result somewhere. 

Yeh, you're right. Though there are other important matches for us.

Best case for us if we lose is Ireland also lose. If we both lose we're virtually guaranteed to get Pot 2 unless we lose by at least 6 to Ukraine.

If Ireland win/draw then we need 4 other sets of results to all go our way to still make Pot 2:

B2 - Iceland not to win

Iceland are away to Albania. 

B3 - Montenegro to finish second and Romania to finish bottom.

Montenegro are at home to Finland, Romania are at home to Bosnia. Romania must lose and Finland cannot win.

B4 - Sweden to finish bottom/not win.

Sweden are away to Slovenia. Sweden cannot win

TL;DR - Iceland, Sweden and Finland all must not win, and Romania must lose. If those all happen we can get leathered by a cricket score from Ukraine and still get Pot 2.

If we win our group does that mean we are drawn against all the other group B winners for the play off if needed?
looks like Israel and Bosnia-Herzegovina have already won their groups with the other group to be either Norway or Serbia. 

It’s all very complicated to work out. 
Or is that worse case scenario only if all those teams fail to qualify automatically? 

1 hour ago, glesgadan said:

If we win our group does that mean we are drawn against all the other group B winners for the play off if needed?
looks like Israel and Bosnia-Herzegovina have already won their groups with the other group to be either Norway or Serbia. 

It’s all very complicated to work out. 
Or is that worse case scenario only if all those teams fail to qualify automatically? 

If we win our group, our play off route would be against other League B teams or lower. Who the play offs are against will depend on who qualifies directly through the EURO qualifiers. If none of Israel, BH and the winners of Norway/Serbia group qualify directly, then those three teams would be our play off opponents. All four League B group winners will be in pot 2 for the EURO draw so you would think there is a decent chance that one or more of them will qualify directly. Maybe even us? 😄

19 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Really? I thought it was just if teams in their nations group don't finish top 2 in the actual qualifiers. No certainty Hungary would finish top 2, they were 3rd in last euros group with Wales pipping them on final day.

Real farce if you get relegated from nations league group and still can get in through play offs.

I don’t really understand your first point but in terms of relegated teams reaching the playoffs It happened in the last euros. 

Iceland, Slovakia and the 2 Irelands reached the playoffs via the Nations League and I’m pretty sure they were all relegated.

21 hours ago, TartanSpice said:

Yeh, you're right. Though there are other important matches for us.

Best case for us if we lose is Ireland also lose. If we both lose we're virtually guaranteed to get Pot 2 unless we lose by at least 6 to Ukraine.

If Ireland win/draw then we need 4 other sets of results to all go our way to still make Pot 2:

B2 - Iceland not to win

Iceland are away to Albania. 

B3 - Montenegro to finish second and Romania to finish bottom.

Montenegro are at home to Finland, Romania are at home to Bosnia. Romania must lose and Finland cannot win.

B4 - Sweden to finish bottom/not win.

Sweden are away to Slovenia. Sweden cannot win

TL;DR - Iceland, Sweden and Finland all must not win, and Romania must lose. If those all happen we can get leathered by a cricket score from Ukraine and still get Pot 2.

In B3 if both games are draws then that will also do us. Still relying on Bosnia going away to Romania and not losing who have nothing to play for as they guaranteed to win group. 

In B4 Sweden are at home to Slovenia with both teams trying to not get relegated. We need Slovenia to take at least a point. 

Think the best chance we have is Armenia winning in Ireland. Although that is a long shot.

I reckon its a point on tuesday or bust. 

Although still reckon we would get at least a playoff place as I would back Ukraine to qualify automatically if they were seeded 2nd. That would probably be against Bosnia, Israel and 1 other team from group B4. 

Edited by Templeton_Peck

3 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

In B3 if both games are draws then that will also do us. Still relying on Bosnia going away to Romania and not losing who have nothing to play for as they guaranteed to win group. 

In B4 Sweden are at home to Slovenia with both teams trying to not get relegated. We need Slovenia to take at least a point. 

Think the best chance we have is Armenia winning in Ireland. Although that is a long shot.

I reckon its a point on tuesday or bust. 

Although still reckon we would get at least a playoff place as I would back Ukraine to qualify automatically if they were seeded 2nd. That would probably be against Bosnia, Israel and 1 other team from group B4. 

I agree, think we must do it ourselves as can’t see Armenia winning or Sweden not winning. 

if we end up in pot 2 we could get a group of…

poland

scotland

armenia

faroes

gibraltar

Sam marino 

32 minutes ago, Ak91 said:

I agree, think we must do it ourselves as can’t see Armenia winning or Sweden not winning. 

if we end up in pot 2 we could get a group of…

poland

scotland

armenia

faroes

gibraltar

Sam marino 

I would sleep like a Lambie doped up on CBD if that was our group. 

9 hours ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Is that bit correct? I've got myself confused with all the possible permutations. If we lose on Tuesday and one of TartanSpices games goes against us then I think we would, at best, be the 6th ranked team in League B. So If Ukraine were to qualify directly the 5th ranked team would take their place in the play offs. I think we would need at least two of the League B group winner sto qualify directly. Which is quite possible, I suppose, considering they will all start from a pot two position.

It's all getting very complicated. I am thinking that we must get that point on Tuesday, otherwise our only route to EURO 24 will be by coming 2nd in our group from a pot 3 starting position. I might have got this all wrong though?

29 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Is that bit correct? I've got myself confused with all the possible permutations. If we lose on Tuesday and one of TartanSpices games goes against us then I think we would, at best, be the 6th ranked team in League B. So If Ukraine were to qualify directly the 5th ranked team would take their place in the play offs. I think we would need at least two of the League B group winner sto qualify directly. Which is quite possible, I suppose, considering they will all start from a pot two position.

It's all getting very complicated. I am thinking that we must get that point on Tuesday, otherwise our only route to EURO 24 will be by coming 2nd in our group from a pot 3 starting position. I might have got this all wrong though?

Mind you, I've just remembered that we still have the League A playoff route, assuming most (maybe all) the League A teams qualify directly. That could be against Estonia and two League B teams. Hard to believe that Estonia could be in the play offs having only played Malta and San Marino. 😂

It is quite confusing because the Euro qualifying is still to take place and until it does, we don't know who is going to need a play off. 

For ease of thinking lets assume the following qualify through the actual qualification groups: 

Germany (Host Nation)

Other 15 A Group Participants (In pot 1 and 2)

5 Group B Participants (Group Winners and Best Runner Up (all in pot 2). 

This means the 12 play off positions would be taken by the following: 

3 No 2nd placed finishers from Nations League B Groups

4 No 3rd placed finishers from Nations League B Groups

1 No Best 4th Placed finisher

4 No Winners of Nations League C Groups. 

This is my understanding of how it would work. Obviously not everyone in pot 1 and 2 will qualify through the qualification groups but who ever doesn't would take a play off spot (there wont be many who don't qualify through the groups).