EURO 2024 - Discussion Thread - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

EURO 2024 - Discussion Thread

romanticscot

A total of 54 UEFA member associations will enter the qualifying process. The draw for the qualifying group stage will take place at the Festhalle in Frankfurt on 9 October 2022.

24 Team Tournament

Top two from 10 qualification groups will qualify for the EURO's.  

A further 4 teams shall qualify through the play off route (semi-Final then Final) .  Teams eligible for the Plays offs are determined from the 2022-23 UEFA Nations League. 

Two things on the horizon  - Nations League games to determine are we eligible for the Play Off and the draw in less than a month. 

Nations League placement will determine qualifying pots.  If I am not mistaken, We need to top our Nations league group to be in the 2nd pot.  

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this moment the seedings would be as follows:-

POT 1                      

Netherlands

Denmark

Spain

Hungary

Portugal

Belgium

Croatia

Italy

Austria

Czech Republic

POT 2

Poland

Switzerland

France

England

Wales

Norway

Bosnia and Herzegovenia

Ukraine

Israel

Serbia

POT 3

Montenegro

SCOTLAND

Iceland

Republic of Ireland

Finland

Sweden

Albania

Romania

Armenia

Slovenia

POT 4

Russia (if not excluded)

Turkey

Greece

Georgia

Kazakhstan

North Macedonia

Luxembourg

Kosovo

Slovakia

Azerbaijan

POT 5

Faroe Islands

Northern Ireland

Bulgaria

Belarus

Cyprus

Gibraltar

Lithuania

Latvia

Estonia

Malta

POT 6

Moldova

Andorra

San Marino

Liechtenstein

9 hours ago, romanticscot said:

There are some real good teams in pot 2, we need to do our very best to win our nations league group.

I put that down to because they are going purely on the Nations League standings. Sure there are strong teams in Pot 2 but there are clearly teams (currently in Pot 1) who are weaker than you'd expect to see amongst the top seeds such as Austria and Hungary.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

19 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If the pots were to be as they are just now then a dream draw for us would be:-

Austria

Israel

SCOTLAND

Luxembourg

Gibraltar

Andorra

The nightmare draw would be:-

Belgium

England

SCOTLAND

Turkey

Bulgaria

I like that first group but the thought of more israel games makes me sick. I dont want to play them again for at least another 5 or 6 years. 

On 9/14/2022 at 10:03 PM, romanticscot said:

There are some real good teams in pot 2, we need to do our very best to win our nations league group.

Agreed but can't shake the feeling that there's an air of apathy with regards to the Nations league.  Short memories given the fact that this was our route to our first tournament in 23 years!  Hopefully I'm just misreading the situation and come the games we'll be right up for it 🤔

On 9/16/2022 at 10:58 PM, todd said:

Agreed but can't shake the feeling that there's an air of apathy with regards to the Nations league.  Short memories given the fact that this was our route to our first tournament in 23 years!  Hopefully I'm just misreading the situation and come the games we'll be right up for it 🤔

100% not friendlys, we should be taking every competitive game seriously. 

On 9/16/2022 at 10:58 PM, todd said:

Doesn't seem to be any apathy from the fans though.Ukraine game looks like a 40000 plus judging by the ticket sales map and the Ireland game is a sell out.So there better no be any apathy on the part of the players.If they don't want to make up for the abomination of the previous Ukraine and Ireland games then they shouldn't be playing professional sport at any F..ing level.

On 9/14/2022 at 4:23 PM, romanticscot said:

Top two from 10 qualification groups will qualify for the EURO's.  

A further 4 teams shall qualify through the play off route (semi-Final then Final) .  Teams eligible for the Plays offs are determined from the 2022-23 UEFA Nations League. 

Surely it's only 3 from the play-offs with Germany qualifying automatically?

3 hours ago, Hendricks said:

That was the same for Euro 2020 (Euro 2021). There were 12 teams in the play offs, 4 in each of 3 'paths' with one legged semi finals and then a final to qualify 3 teams. 

Actually no sorry, there were 4 paths of 4 teams in the Euro 2020 playoffs, because there was no automatic host qualification. 

3 hours ago, romanticscot said:

You are absolutely correct, so who misses out on a play of?  

There's no dedicated play-off path for Nations League D this time (there's only 7 teams in that section after the reformatting), but the way it pans out there will almost certainly be at least one League D team in the play-offs. 

Edited by Toepoke

England being in pot 2 for once is a sight (of course they'll draw Hungary).

I read just now Russia unsurprisingly been banned again so was hoping that might be enough to get in pot 2 but appears not.

From above I'd be more than o.k getting either Czechs or Austria as number one seed (Hungary are actually a tough team to break down so they wouldn't be as easy as everyone would assume). Croatia may be the weakest of heavyweights as surely Modric can't go on forever....

Pot 2 is actually arguably as strong with England and France potentially in there, very tough to make it automatically if either are in the group. Norway aswell is one to avoid with Odegaard and Haaland, they surely have to qualify eventually.

Actually would be fine with Wales. Who knows if Bale will carry on and tbh the squad they named for this round of nations league games dosen't look that great, plenty of championship/league 1 players in it. Bosnia aswell, Dzeko and Pjanic well into their 30s now.

Amazed Sweden are in pot 3 now, good they'll be avoided.

Lots of banana skins in pot 4.

Would prefer to be in 6 team group just to get some more points on the board early if the fixtures work out o.k.

Will be interesting draw. Top 2 must be the target this time. Achieved that for world cup group even if it didn't work out in the end.

I just had a sneaky look at league B seeing who else would likely win. Norway, Israel and Bosnia and Herzegovina. Norway with Harland I would not want to face. The second tier of League B teams in 2nd place is Serbia, Montenegro and Iceland currently. I know, getting ahead of myself we have to take care of ourselves.

On 9/20/2022 at 10:07 PM, Tartan Chris said:

Just for fun a nightmare group for England:

Spain

England

Sweden

Turkey

Northern Ireland

Given they're pretty likely to be relegated from nations league over next week they'll be no pathway for backdoor route into play offs so they'd have to finish top 2 to qualify.

They’ll still likely get a playoff even if they are relegated. 

2 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Let me just throw this out there - next Nations league we could be in League A with England, Wales and Rep of Ireland all in B and Northern Ireland in League C.

OK playing along... Does that mean almost certain seeding in NL playoffs for the next world cup? 😄

43 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

OK playing along... Does that mean almost certain seeding in NL playoffs for the next world cup? 😄

It totally puts us in a great spot for it to get the play off spot in the bank in the World Cup.  Assuming we make it into League A then you are hoping that all the other League A teams auto qualify and we take the scraps which is a play off.  If my memory is correct UEFA also get 3 extra spots ( I just confirmed) which is 16 instead of 13 for Qatar.