September 2022 - Squad discussion thread - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

September 2022 - Squad discussion thread

romanticscot

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I seem to recall David Weir had a falling out and had to be coaxed back into the squad. There was also Duncan Ferguson whose well-known issues with the SFA ran real deep. I'd bet there were a lot more too.

I think Kris Boyd was another, although not well liked in certain corners on here, he knew where the goal was.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’d go with this. Ideally wouldn’t want to play McTom at the back but the system only works if you have good players who can bring the ball out (which is why I think Cooper struggled playing in KT’s place in the playoff).

Taylor has started the season well but I’ve gone for Hickey who’s played that position at a higher level and I think generally a better player.

732DDEB7-332D-4A9D-80C9-44639E937765.jpeg

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Craigie Broon had falling outs with Richard Gough, Jim Leighton, Andy Goram and Jackie McNamara that saw them all bombed out the team.

Leighton and McNamara were able to patch things up with Broon and were back in his squad.

Andy Roxburgh never picked Frank McAvennie again after he refused a call up for a friendly. Correct decision, and McAvennie's career went into sharp decline shortly afterwards.

Steve Nicol and Gary Gillespie were hoofed out by Roxburgh after one call-off too many as well.  Can't remember if they made it back in though.  Don't think so.

8 hours ago, csinclair said:

I’d go with this. Ideally wouldn’t want to play McTom at the back but the system only works if you have good players who can bring the ball out (which is why I think Cooper struggled playing in KT’s place in the playoff).

Taylor has started the season well but I’ve gone for Hickey who’s played that position at a higher level and I think generally a better player.

Thats a decent selection which i think clarke might use.

8 hours ago, csinclair said:

Thats what id go with aswell.

1 hour ago, DAVIDB46 said:

I don’t want to see mctominay in defence as he is pretty shambolic , he will need to be in midfield .

although he is unlikely to be as gilmour will get shoe horned in despite playing 60 seconds all season 

McTominay has been putting in some sensational performance in midfield so lets play him in defence. I don't even think Clarke is that stupid.

Let's stick McKenna in the middle just because he plays in the EPL even though he plays on the left hand side of a three for a club that leaks goals for fun.

Apart from being 3 years younger than Armstrong, Christie is a regular starter for a team that is ahead of Southampton in the league. Armstrong has started one cup game, which in plain English means your not very good but we haven't found. anyone better yet. He's lucky to be in the squad.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

7 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

McTominay has been putting in some sensational performance in midfield so lets play him in defence. I don't even think Clarke is that stupid.

Let's stick McKenna in the middle just because he plays in the EPL even though he plays on the left hand side of a three for a club that leaks goals for fun.

Apart from being 3 years younger than Armstrong, Christie is a regular starter for a team that is ahead of Southampton in the league. Armstrong has started one cup game, which in plain English means your not very good but we haven't found. anyone better yet. He's lucky to be in the squad.

McKenna is an EPL centre back that is having to do a lot of defending against elite forwards. Every game will be making him better. He'll be our first choice CB before long.

Who would you have in the squad before Armstrong? He was arguably our best performer in the last round of games. He's not lucky to be in the squad. He's there on merit.

Clarke is not in the habit of dropping our best players based on dips in form. Nor is he in the habit of picking players based on short purple patches. Hence no McBurnie.

19 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

McKenna is an EPL centre back that is having to do a lot of defending against elite forwards. Every game will be making him better. He'll be our first choice CB before long.

Who would you have in the squad before Armstrong? He was arguably our best performer in the last round of games. He's not lucky to be in the squad. He's there on merit.

Clarke is not in the habit of dropping our best players based on dips in form. Nor is he in the habit of picking players based on short purple patches. Hence no McBurnie.

I fully agree on all of your points.

McKenna is certainly pushing for a starting slot especially with Cooper out injured.

Armstrong was our best midfielder in the last triple header whose goals dug us out of a hole away to Armenia.

McBurnie has had these 'purple patches' before for clubs and what did he do for Scotland? Zilch.

38 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I fully agree on all of your points.

McKenna is certainly pushing for a starting slot especially with Cooper out injured.

Armstrong was our best midfielder in the last triple header whose goals dug us out of a hole away to Armenia.

McBurnie has had these 'purple patches' before for clubs and what did he do for Scotland? Zilch.

McKenna is still only 25. Personally I'd already have him as our starting CB. I'd like to see a bit of a partnership built up between him and Tierney. I like Hanley and Cooper, but McKenna has a lot more years ahead of him, and has the potential to be better than both.

I'd accept arguments of Christie or Fraser starting ahead of Armstrong, but him being dropped from the squad altogether is not going to happen. And probably not for a few years yet.

What would be considered acceptable from these games , I think the problem is that if Ukraine beat us it may kill off the other two games .

after this it’s a long time till the qualifiers next March unless a November friendly.

if we do fail badly i would be all for calling time on Clarke as he is still far too inflexible for me and he is usually found wanting in the biggest games .

Gordon

Patt Hanley*. McKenna Tierney

Maclean/Jack

McTominay Gilmour MacGregor

Mcginn

Adams

* Hendry if Hanley isn’t fit

Maclean/Jack depending on who looks best in training for the role. I’d probably start with Maclean and bring on Jack when/If he tires

Gilmour may also only last 60 mins then I’d move MacGregor into Gilmour’s position then bring on Turnbull or Armstrong 

I think 4 points is the minimum we should be looking for, if we get less than that, the pressure will be building on Clarke. 

4 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Saying Armstong is lucky to be in the squad is to contradict the fact people think he should be starting. That's not to say I wouldn't prefer Ryan Gauld or Elliot Anderson.

But in the team every one seems to be suggesting and not including the fact he right footed we have better options.

Christie is a far better player and Turnbull may be too eventually, a couple of good performances against  Armenia shouldn't make Armstrong a first team pick.

I love the way McBurnie is back in form, means everyone can bring him into the conversation knowing it will add credence to their opinion in the eyes of many. I would love to see him do a Kenny "sitter" Miller and make everyone eat their words.

Funny fact about me not wanting to play McKenna, I had him in the middle of my preferred back 3 two pages back. But with the suggested team still having McTominay in defence, I honestly think Hanley is a better option for the center role in the three. But it's all about opinions and many on here don't rate him.

Just to validate my points McBurnie should never be picked again, hasn't scored in 16 caps and is a waste of a shirt.

5 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

What would be considered acceptable from these games , I think the problem is that if Ukraine beat us it may kill off the other two games .

after this it’s a long time till the qualifiers next March unless a November friendly.

if we do fail badly i would be all for calling time on Clarke as he is still far too inflexible for me and he is usually found wanting in the biggest games .

Yep. For me no less than two wins and a draw acceptable. Ukraine are a fair side and Republic of Ireland pretty poor. Anybody who would expect any less should take a long hatd look at themselves. Got to have some sort of expectations or what is the f.. king point. 

2 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Yep. For me no less than two wins and a draw acceptable. Ukraine are a fair side and Republic of Ireland pretty poor. Anybody who would expect any less should take a long hatd look at themselves. Got to have some sort of expectations or what is the f.. king point. 

Lol you do realise we lost 3 nil to ireland(shouldve been 4) last time. 

I would bite the hand off a win and draw from these games. It would be progress in the right direction after those last run of games. On paper we really should be beating ireland and i think pressure will be huge on clarke if we lose another game to them.

As for ukraine they are a decent side with players that play mostly in top leagues. Its a massive boost that zinchenko wont be playing but its still a massive ask to expect to beat them in both games. Especially after our last run of games. A win against them at home should be achievable under good management and a good performance away from home is what i hope for.

Either way we need improved performances from these games especially against ireland.

2 hours ago, Michael said:

A win v Ukraine at home and two draws more than acceptable for me. It would mean we top group and are second seeds for euro 2024 qualifying. 

A draw at home to this Ireland side should never be acceptable. NEVER. Talk about setting the bar low. 

5 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol you do realise we lost 3 nil to ireland(shouldve been 4) last time. 

I would bite the hand off a win and draw from these games. It would be progress in the right direction after those last run of games. On paper we really should be beating ireland and i think pressure will be huge on clarke if we lose another game to them.

As for ukraine they are a decent side with players that play mostly in top leagues. Its a massive boost that zinchenko wont be playing but its still a massive ask to expect to beat them in both games. Especially after our last run of games. A win against them at home should be achievable under good management and a good performance away from home is what i hope for.

Either way we need improved performances from these games especially against ireland.

He's right though. There's no way we should have been played off the park by Ireland. Losing to them is no disgrace in itself but the manner of the defeat was totally unacceptable.

Ukraine are a good team but we showed them far too much respect in June. When we had a go at them in the second half we asked serious questions of them and with better finishing we might even have forced extra time (albeit it would have been slightly undeserved).

1 hour ago, DAVIDB46 said:

But Ireland probably feel the same way about us to be honest in that we are pretty poor.

That wasn't the impression I got before the game. I sensed a degree of respect and quiet envy at the EPL players we could call upon.

A welcome change from recent years, where it's usually us who are envious, but unfortunately our EPL players didn't bloody turn up and Ireland thoroughly deserved their win.

On 9/17/2022 at 12:07 PM, csinclair said:

I like this too. Gets Hickey, Tierney and Patterson on the park at the same time. And covers the missing Robbo without too much disruption to our system.