September 2022 - Squad discussion thread - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

September 2022 - Squad discussion thread

romanticscot

8 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Imagine capping him at 16/17. His career has been shockingly bad considering his potential. Obviously just a lazy brute.

Pretty sure he is still absolutely loaded, what a waste though.

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I really wish Ralston and Welsh would leave Celtic so we can find out what there ceiling is. Both are still young enough to fully develop as players but it won't happen on the Parkhead bench.

I'm a big fan of teenage players joining the highest level clubs that are interested, but if they can't break through after two or three years  they really need to move on.

Yep the two of them should be playing first team football every week somewhere. I feel Ralston could be a really good player if he was getting games all the time.

1 hour ago, ICT fan Shaun said:

I'm not going to moan about who's in the squad bar Jon McLaughlin, the lad has conceded EIGHT GOALS in TWO MATCHES ffs but he was never getting on the match field anyway as both Gordon and Kelly are way ahead of him I'm the pecking order.

Regarding defence, I think Steve us waiting for friendlies or next Nations League (where he gradually picks new caps in one or 2 squads like he did with Ross Stewart and Jake Brown) so I hope that players like Dominic Hyam are still in his thoughts.

And Regarding the Strikers, I have one question, what has happened regarding Sam Gallagher and Karlan Grant, have they been asked about their feelings on pledging allegiance to us because I recall an article earlier this year which basically stated that Sam was committed and on the verge of a call up yet nothing has happened since?

Two smelly English guys that aren't any better than what we have, no thanks

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Thats madness. Even wales wouldnt do that. Nearly all of those guys you listed earlier were either on the fringes of epl first teams or had played championship or league1 football by the time they got called up to welsh squads.

Also you could argue that mclean and jack have starred for us. Ryan jack was excellent in the serbia game. 

I can see the point in maybe getting rid of mclean and jack but not for some epl youth players who have never played any proper football. I could understand if you suggested fiorini and i can maybe undetstand lowry although i think hes injured right now anyways but suggesting guys like doak and craig is just daft.

I see Wales have just picked a 17 year old Luke Harris from Fulham with no league appearances but 1 league cup game in their squad. He is meant to be decent but I guess time will tell. He was born in Jersey but qualifies through parents. Talking about Fulham I see Cairney is getting games in the premier league this season.

23 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

I see Wales have just picked a 17 year old Luke Harris from Fulham with no league appearances but 1 league cup game in their squad. He is meant to be decent but I guess time will tell. He was born in Jersey but qualifies through parents. Talking about Fulham I see Cairney is getting games in the premier league this seaso

Always liked Cairney, but he has only played 90 minutes total in the EPL this season. 

There has always been something that has never sat right with Cairney... he has been called up, rarely used, then a manager just discards him completely... then a new manager comes in and name drops him as one of the players he is shocked that is not a main stay in the team, and we go through the same cycle again.....

Strachan, Eck and Clarke have all called him up, and then not followed up upon that initial approach.

2 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

I see Wales have just picked a 17 year old Luke Harris from Fulham with no league appearances but 1 league cup game in their squad. He is meant to be decent but I guess time will tell. He was born in Jersey but qualifies through parents. Talking about Fulham I see Cairney is getting games in the premier league this season.

Wales cap anyone dual qualified in their senior team at 16-18

19 hours ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Really think we could struggle badly in these games. I dont see where our attacking threat will come from and the lad Mudryk is going to be a superstar and i cant see us stopping him. Reckon Celtic will learn all about him tomorrow. 

I see where you're coming from but really, if we're struggling badly against Ukraine serious questions need to be answered. They're a good team but they're not a great one. They toiled against Wales in Cardiff and they barely laid a glove on England during the Euros, who beat them convincingly at a canter. There's a reason they're in the same Nations League group as us.

They have some very good players who can hurt us, undoubtedly, but they're not a Spain or a France or a Belgium, we should at the very least be able to hold our own against them, especially at home.

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

I see where you're coming from but really, if we're struggling badly against Ukraine serious questions need to be answered. They're a good team but they're not a great one. They toiled against Wales in Cardiff and they barely laid a glove on England during the Euros, who beat them convincingly at a canter. There's a reason they're in the same Nations League group as us.

They have some very good players who can hurt us, undoubtedly, but they're not a Spain or a France or a Belgium, we should at the very least be able to hold our own against them, especially at home.

We struggled very badly at home against them just a few months ago.

25 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

Will Ryan Fraser turn up this time?

You'd think if he doesn't then he may as well retire now, since Clarke would never pick him again anyway.

I think Fraser is a first 11 player at his best. But we understandably can't shape the team around him if he isn't going to be there. 

I've got a feeling Fraser is going to do something memorable in these games.

From Norwich's website:

Team news: Uncertainty over Hanley for West Brom

Dean Smith confirmed that Grant Hanley will be reviewed in training following his shoulder injury on Wednesday night.

He said: "Hanley is a little bit of a concern. He said he doesn't feel that bad and he's an experienced player so he knows what is best for him.

"He has a call up for Scotland to think about as well."

Edited by csinclair

22 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

You'd think if he doesn't then he may as well retire now, since Clarke would never pick him again anyway.

I think Fraser is a first 11 player at his best. But we understandably can't shape the team around him if he isn't going to be there. 

I've got a feeling Fraser is going to do something memorable in these games.

I would assume Clarke has spoke to Fraser with regards to past withdrawals. IMO Fraser is a lucky boy to be in the squad though I agree on his game he is one of our better players

1 hour ago, robbo cop said:

I would assume Clarke has spoke to Fraser with regards to past withdrawals. IMO Fraser is a lucky boy to be in the squad though I agree on his game he is one of our better players

Clarke did say he chooses squads based 95% on ability, and only 5% on character. So, I think Clarke is more forgiving and less stubborn than his predecessors. 

We lost years of the likes of Steven Fletcher, Allan McGregor, Barry Ferguson over fallouts. I'm sure there are plenty of others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

17 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

We lost years of the likes of Steven Fletcher, Allan McGregor, Barry Ferguson over fallouts. I'm sure there are plenty of others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

I seem to recall David Weir had a falling out and had to be coaxed back into the squad. There was also Duncan Ferguson whose well-known issues with the SFA ran real deep. I'd bet there were a lot more too.

34 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I seem to recall David Weir had a falling out and had to be coaxed back into the squad. There was also Duncan Ferguson whose well-known issues with the SFA ran real deep. I'd bet there were a lot more too.

Craigie Broon had falling outs with Richard Gough, Jim Leighton, Andy Goram and Jackie McNamara that saw them all bombed out the team.

Leighton and McNamara were able to patch things up with Broon and were back in his squad.

Andy Roxburgh never picked Frank McAvennie again after he refused a call up for a friendly. Correct decision, and McAvennie's career went into sharp decline shortly afterwards.

Edited by ErsatzThistle