Hearts fc and minutes silences - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hearts fc and minutes silences

Looks like the hearts republicans have made their voices heard lol. Finally a hearts i can get on board with. 

In all seriousness hearts seem to struggle with minutes silences. They couldnt stay quiet for the pope and now the queen and last night showed they seem to have a very mixed support in terms of politics and ideology. Always thought they were very much majority unionists and maybe they are but it certainly seems like theres a few republicans in there support as well.

Lets see how celtic get on with a minutes silence provided they brave enough to have one lol.

10 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Looks like the hearts republicans have made their voices heard lol. Finally a hearts i can get on board with. 

In all seriousness hearts seem to struggle with minutes silences. They couldnt stay quiet for the pope and now the queen and last night showed they seem to have a very mixed support in terms of politics and ideology. Always thought they were very much majority unionists and maybe they are but it certainly seems like theres a few republicans in there support as well.

Lets see how celtic get on with a minutes silence provided they brave enough to have one lol.

What’s the point of doing that ? Probably a job losing action if caught and outed. Drink can be bad. 

5 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

What’s the point of doing that ? Probably a job losing action if caught and outed. Drink can be bad. 

It sounds like only 1 or 2 guys shouting ftq and thats kicked off the mess that followed. 

I am anti monarchy and pro republican but i dont see much gain in shouting your mouth off at a minutes silence. Not really worth the hassle just to make a big scene at a football match. 

Saying that i really hope theres no minutes silence at the scotland games coming up. Probably best that they avoid that whole minefield as some of the tartan army might disrespect it or boo it. Rather just keep politics out of football tbh.

Had mates that were in various stands at tynecastle last night, the singing of gstq obviously a reaction to the shouts of ftq. Most folk kept their mouths shut because it was the right thing to do not because of some rampant loyalist sympathies. One of the boys shouting ftq was apparently told to fuck off to easter road 🤔

18 minutes ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Notwithstanding the behaviour of the odd drunk idiot, that's not exactly a bad thing, is it?

Nah not bad thing. Just surprising thats all. Thought hearts fans were mostly unionist and didnt think this kind of thing would ever happen there at a minutes silence for the queen.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Nah not bad thing. Just surprising thats all. Thought hearts fans were mostly unionist and didnt think this kind of thing would ever happen there at a minutes silence for the queen.

Hearts have a small vocal minority of bigots.

The majority of their fans are just like any other cross section of society that support a football team in Scotland (outside  the OF)

That said, being a Unionist and being a monarchist are two totally different things. Alex Salmond is a monarchist but he's defo not a Unionist. 

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Hearts have a small vocal minority of bigots.

The majority of their fans are just like any other cross section of society that support a football team in Scotland (outside  the OF)

That said, being a Unionist and being a monarchist are two totally different things. Alex Salmond is a monarchist but he's defo not a Unionist. 

Is he monarchist? I always felt that most of the snp leadership have been smart enough to know that trying to get scotland to go straight to a republic is too big a jump and have been more pragmatic regarding the monarchy. I reckon he would back a republic but knows the indy movement cant afford the split between the monarchists and republicans.

On 9/9/2022 at 3:40 PM, dan cake said:

Had mates that were in various stands at tynecastle last night, the singing of gstq obviously a reaction to the shouts of ftq. Most folk kept their mouths shut because it was the right thing to do not because of some rampant loyalist sympathies. One of the boys shouting ftq was apparently told to fuck off to easter road 🤔

Was it? or was it just Section N being their usual arsehole selves? I didn't hear any ftq pish, all I heard was morons singing gstq over the minute's silence. As usual it's that "certain section" that embarrasses, this time they disgraced not only themselves but the club too. 

I can remember instances of both Embra clubs bursting silences. Celtic played Hibs shortly after Johnny Doyle died tragically, a few seconds into the silence there were cries of ‘Hibees, Hibees’ from most of them.

I was also at a game at Hampden I’m sure vs Hearts after the death of Pope John Paul  2nd. Of course the jambos disrupted that, it was to be expected. I don’t think I’ve ever really forgiven the Hibby cunts for the first one though as (a) I couldn’t understand it and (b) it happened in my formative years. 
Anyway I’m rambling, my point is, it’s time to stop all of it, applause, silences, retiring shirt numbers etc. If fans want to pay tribute to a religious/ political figure or player let them do their own thing, leave everyone else in fuckin peace!

Edited by slasher

6 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Just out of interest were there minutes silences when Bobby McKean, Jock Stein, Davie Cooper and Norrie McCathie died ?

There was a Scotland wide silence for Jock Stein some time after his passing and I’m pretty sure there were for Davie Cooper and Norrie McCathie, I can’t speak to on Bobby McKean?

10 hours ago, slasher said:

Anyway I’m rambling, my point is, it’s time to stop all of it, applause, silences, retiring shirt numbers etc. If fans want to pay tribute to a religious/ political figure or player let them do their own thing, leave everyone else in fuckin peace!

I agree 100% we as a nation should know better given the sectarianism pish we've had to endure thanks to certain sections that insist on infesting our game in Scotland. T

here's a much longer conversation required on this obviously but basically, keep politics and religion OUT of fitba. Sick to death of the game being disgraced by morons. 

15 hours ago, slasher said:

There was a Scotland wide silence for Jock Stein some time after his passing and I’m pretty sure there were for Davie Cooper and Norrie McCathie, I can’t speak to on Bobby McKean?

Interesting.

My Dad vividly remembers Bobby McKean's accidental death. He lived only a short walk away, this was when most footballers still lived modestly. Remembers seeing the polis and the ambulance outside the house that morning but of course by then there was nothing anyone could do.

20 hours ago, slasher said:

I can remember instances of both Embra clubs bursting silences. Celtic played Hibs shortly after Johnny Doyle died tragically, a few seconds into the silence there were cries of ‘Hibees, Hibees’ from most of them.

I was also at a game at Hampden I’m sure vs Hearts after the death of Pope John Paul  2nd. Of course the jambos disrupted that, it was to be expected. I don’t think I’ve ever really forgiven the Hibby cunts for the first one though as (a) I couldn’t understand it and (b) it happened in my formative years. 

This.

On 9/20/2022 at 2:18 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

Interesting.

My Dad vividly remembers Bobby McKean's accidental death. He lived only a short walk away, this was when most footballers still lived modestly. Remembers seeing the polis and the ambulance outside the house that morning but of course by then there was nothing anyone could do.

I have never heard of him, just googled it and saw he died in Barrhead. 

Will ask my maw tomorrow 

On 9/20/2022 at 2:18 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

Interesting.

First game I can remember seeing players wearing black armbands was the Celtic v Rangers League Cup final after McKean died.