Friendly Dates in November - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Friendly Dates in November

N4Footsoldier

1 hour ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Is Turkey the only European team we have never played in modern times 

Must be 2-3 former USSR states we haven't played yet and/or I've probably forgotten about e.g. Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan ?

13 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Is Turkey the only European team we have never played in modern times 

We played them in a friendly in the 1960's, so we have played them.

Off top of my head, Azerbaijan, Andorra, Kosovo and Montenegro are the only UEFA teams we have never played at A-level

Oher teams I can't remember having played in my lifetime: Bosnia & Herzegovina, Finland, Bulgaria. I'd be very surprised if we hadn't played those last two at some point though.

Correction: Played Finland in the Euro 96 Qualifiers. Somehow managed to forget Bulgaria 5-1 in the Kirin Cup.

Edited by N4Footsoldier

2 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Oher teams I can't remember having played in my lifetime: Bosnia & Herzegovina, Finland, Bulgaria. I'd be very surprised if we hadn't played those last two at some point though.

Correction: Played Finland in the Euro 96 Qualifiers. Somehow managed to forget Bulgaria 5-1 in the Kirin Cup.

We have played all 3 in the last 30 or so years.... Bosnia we played in Euro 2000 qualifiers (game that was cancelled at Ibrox due to NATO bombing in Serbia at the time)

17 minutes ago, wanderer said:

We have played all 3 in the last 30 or so years.... Bosnia we played in Euro 2000 qualifiers (game that was cancelled at Ibrox due to NATO bombing in Serbia at the time)

I did say in my lifetime ;) - Scotland supporting lifetime anyway, my first games being 2002/3

Not sure Turkey would play a game in Kurdistan. Just seems nothing like they would do. 

Considering they wouldn’t join the Kurdish forces in Syria in destroying Daesh and actively bombed Turkish Kurds during the 90s and 00s while our own aircraft were protecting Iraqi Kurds from the same airbases. 

J

On 9/15/2022 at 7:58 AM, wanderer said:

We played them in a friendly in the 1960's, so we have played them.

Off top of my head, Azerbaijan, Andorra, Kosovo and Montenegro are the only UEFA teams we have never played at A-level

It's only these four we've not played before, whilst we've not played a competitive game against Turkey or Hungary.

Armenia were on the list of teams we've not played prior to this Nations League campaign and we hadn't played Albania or Kazakhstan before 2018.