Friendly Dates in November - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Friendly Dates in November

N4Footsoldier

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Keeps the rif raf out, only the wealthy can go to games like this. 

Thank God i aint wealthy then.It just seems such a pointless(literally)game.In  what way is a friendly in November going to relate to our games next March.Be interesting to see how many players pull out of this game.Suppose it might be a good piss up ,but just cant see any reason for it in a football sense.A long long way to go to get pissed all the same.

46 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Thank God i aint wealthy then.It just seems such a pointless(literally)game.In  what way is a friendly in November going to relate to our games next March.Be interesting to see how many players pull out of this game.Suppose it might be a good piss up ,but just cant see any reason for it in a football sense.A long long way to go to get pissed all the same.

Don't see why they should pull out, its not like they aren't getting a pressure free few weeks anyway.

Total waste of time as a football match and a piss up is a piss up no matter were you go.

Kudos to the guys with the time and the money to visit such places when Scotland play, I'm am pretty sure I would do the same if circumstances allowed. Peru and Mexico would have been great.

However I certainly would't desert my workmates on the picket line without a pretty good reason.

On 10/27/2022 at 10:06 AM, N4Footsoldier said:

Saw folk on social media blowing up about the venue. If you weren't braced for the announcement of Diyarbakir, then you've had your head in the sand and/or probably wouldn't have been going to Turkey anyway.

Geographically it's far out but there are literally dozens of internal flights from other very accessible cities in Turkey, even with the option of staying in a more 'touristy' location and just travelling on the day of the game as I've seen a few people do.

For me: such a niche venue which I'll likely never return to, so booking to stay there for 4 nights.

12 Nov: LGW - IST - DIY - arrive early morning of 13 Nov

17 Nov: 10am DIY - IST - LHR - arrive 4.15pm.

£282 all in via BudgetAir - All flights Turkish Airlines

Looking forward to it quite a lot. Seems to be a fair selection of reasonably priced accommodation, a modern 'new' town with a selection of bars and more international shops/restaurants and a very historic old town to have a look around too.

Genuinely disappointed not to be going to this . It is just too late in the year , dont have enough holidays left as I would like to spend a few days there,  not just fly in and out . 

For those lucky enough to be going and looking for some things to do whilst sobering up…

https://happyfrogtravels.com/things-to-do-in-diyarbakir-turkeys-hidden-gem/

So is it just 1 friendly getting played? Surely we could have gotten another lined up so that we could give some more of the fringe players a chance to impress. Theres a feel good factor right now and i reckon most of our best players will turn up for this friendly even if its meaningless game.

12 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

So is it just 1 friendly getting played? Surely we could have gotten another lined up so that we could give some more of the fringe players a chance to impress. Theres a feel good factor right now and i reckon most of our best players will turn up for this friendly even if its meaningless game.

One friendly was the right choice. Never play more than you have to.

It looks like the SFA were also having some difficulty in finding an European (or in this case Eurasian) opponent until they found Turkey.

55 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

It looks like the SFA were also having some difficulty in finding an European (or in this case Eurasian) opponent until they found Turkey.

Why? 2 friendlies would allow some more of the fringe players get gametime and experience. Maybe a chance to try a new keeper. 

By your logic we shouldnt bother playing 1 friendly.

Plenty of countrys outside of europe who might want a game. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Why? 2 friendlies would allow some more of the fringe players get gametime and experience. Maybe a chance to try a new keeper. 

By your logic we shouldnt bother playing 1 friendly.

Plenty of countrys outside of europe who might want a game. 

Can I suggest then that a more constructive activity for you would be to compose a ten thousand word e-mail to the SFA about why you are so shocked and appalled at the lack of an extra poxy friendly.

Personally, I'm happy with just the one friendly.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Can I suggest then that a more constructive activity for you would be to compose a ten thousand word e-mail to the SFA about why you are so shocked and appalled at the lack of an extra poxy friendly.

Personally, I'm happy with just the one friendly.

Lol i have better things to do. Like arguing on the tamb or watching netflix. 

On 10/27/2022 at 7:02 PM, Passportbob said:

It is a huge country, and as I found out from our recent away trip to Armenia, half of Turkey was Armenia, as was Azerbaijan. Armenia is currently a tenth of it's original size.

And yes I'm going to a fascinating part of Turkey. The Tigris goes around Diyarbakir, and I'll also be visiting the Euphrates, further to the west, as well as Gobekli Tepe.

"Göbekli Tepe is a Neolithic archaeological site in the Southeastern Anatolia Region of Turkey. Dated to the Pre-Pottery Neolithic, between c. 9500 and 8000 BCE, the site comprises a number of large circular structures supported by massive stone pillars – the world's oldest known megaliths."

Oh and I've heard the Diyarbakir region has a reputation for the best kebab's in Turkiye. 😆

Aye , but does it have an Irish Bar? :wacko:

On 10/30/2022 at 7:26 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

That's probably a big factor as to why we only have a single friendly.

Also, there seem to be games arranged (between those not at the World Cup) that you're not learning much from: Czech Republic vs Faroe Islands; Andorra vs Austria; Malta vs Greece; Malta vs Ireland. There's little point in us playing a friendly against Luxembourg or Andorra unless we needed a fitness game ahead of a major tournament.

I don't believe Northern Ireland are playing anyone at all, so it doesn't appear we're being forced to play during this international break.

We were  the last team to be knocked out.

Because of the Ukraine situation we didn't get out till June , others were March , and most in November last year 

I presume all the other teams had all the good  friendlies lined up.

Each UEFA nation is expected to play 10 games in a calendar year if they want to get their full share of the tv money pot (or they would be expected to play a extra game next year to make up for it).... Scotland is currently at 9 games, so rather than try squeeze 11 games into next year, looks like they were simply out for one game in November, and if anything else came along, they would take that.