Friendly Dates in November - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Friendly Dates in November

N4Footsoldier

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Is Turkey the only European team we have never played in modern timesĀ 

We played them in a friendly in the 1960's, so we have played them.

Off top of my head, Azerbaijan, Andorra, Kosovo and Montenegro are the only UEFA teams we have never played at A-level

Oher teams I can't remember having played in my lifetime: Bosnia & Herzegovina, Finland, Bulgaria. I'd be very surprised if we hadn't played those last two at some point though.

Correction: Played Finland in the Euro 96 Qualifiers. Somehow managed to forget Bulgaria 5-1 in the Kirin Cup.

Edited by N4Footsoldier

2 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Oher teams I can't remember having played in my lifetime: Bosnia & Herzegovina, Finland, Bulgaria. I'd be very surprised if we hadn't played those last two at some point though.

Correction: Played Finland in the Euro 96 Qualifiers. Somehow managed to forget Bulgaria 5-1 in the Kirin Cup.

We have played all 3 in the last 30 or so years.... Bosnia we played in Euro 2000 qualifiers (game that was cancelled at Ibrox due to NATO bombing in Serbia at the time)

Not sure Turkey would play a game in Kurdistan. Just seems nothing like they would do.Ā 
Ā 

Considering they wouldnā€™t join the Kurdish forces in Syria in destroying Daesh and actively bombed Turkish Kurds during the 90s and 00s while our own aircraft were protecting Iraqi Kurds from the same airbases.Ā 
Ā 

J

On 9/15/2022 at 7:58 AM, wanderer said:

We played them in a friendly in the 1960's, so we have played them.

Off top of my head, Azerbaijan, Andorra, Kosovo and Montenegro are the only UEFA teams we have never played at A-level

It's only these four we've not played before, whilst we've not played a competitive game against Turkey or Hungary.

Armenia were on the list of teams we've not played prior to this Nations League campaign and we hadn't played Albania or Kazakhstan before 2018.

On 9/9/2022 at 8:36 AM, wanderer said:

Wednesday the 16th seems to be the popular date for games at the moment.

I suspect Scotland will play a game, as we are one game short of our 10 game quota (if we only play 9 games, then we will have to play 11 next year to make it up in order to get the tv money from UEFA)... Just a case of where and who against.

Teams involved in the World Cup are not going to come to Europe in November to acclimatize for a World Cup getting played in scorching heat, and I only see us only going to the Middle East (UAE, Kuwait, Jordan, Egypt etc....) if someone is prepared to fly us over and put us up for 4/5 days.... which I suspect will not happen.

A small amount of games have already been announced... but its things like the Baltic Cup (Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania, with Iceland as a guest) and things like Hungary v Greece and Luxembourg.

I suspect doing well we might get a game v the USA if they decide to stop off here on their way to the World Cup or Wales use us as their send off match.... but I am more geared up for a game v someone like Finland or Bulgaria, simply to just play a game (September to March will be to long to go without a game)

Iā€™m not sure if UEFA are really in a position to enforce that this year but even if they do I can see Clarke picking a squad full of fringe players. Could be the most meaningless friendly sinceā€¦.. well,Ā the last one.Ā 

Would be great to play two games in November against opposition slightly poorer than ourselves so we can play some fringe players, blood a goalie for Gordonā€™s eventual replacement & maybe take some of the promising under 21s into the international fold.

Got a feeling there may be some English eligibles becoming more Scottish as the year goes on tooā€¦Ā 

Even more outlandish than the current rumour, there is a Somali Journalist on Twitter (Mohammed Salad) suggesting that the Scottish FA are in talks to play Somalia in either Turkey or Qatar.

As mental as it sounds, unsurprisingly it might be starting to unravel already, with the Somali FA unlikely to accept as they have their elections that month.

Somalia are currently 204th in the FIFA world rankings. Hard to see what the point in this would be unless we were desperate to fulfill our TV game quota. Surely we don't need to resort to a game like that.

In other news: feel free to add Somalia to the list of countries we are yet to play.

Edited by N4Footsoldier

On 9/28/2022 at 3:44 PM, Texas Pete said:

Iā€™m not sure if UEFA are really in a position to enforce that this year but even if they do I can see Clarke picking a squad full of fringe players. Could be the most meaningless friendly sinceā€¦.. well,Ā the last one.Ā 

These would be what I would consider positives in a friendly - We can cap another goalkeeper, another look at Porteous, bring back in McBurnie and Burke, give Shankland some more minutes in the jersey, chance to look at Gauld and Morgan.Ā 

Your right though, it would be fringe players but time spent with the coaching staff would be worth it.Ā 

30 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

These would be what I would consider positives in a friendly - We can cap another goalkeeper, another look at Porteous, bring back in McBurnie and Burke, give Shankland some more minutes in the jersey, chance to look at Gauld and Morgan.Ā 

Your right though, it would be fringe players but time spent with the coaching staff would be worth it.Ā 

McBurnie can get fucked

Turkey away confirmed. Venue tbd.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63176919

Scotland will travel to face Turkey in a November friendly in preparation for next year's Euro 2024 qualifying campaign.

The venue for the game on Wednesday, 16 November has yet to be announced.

It will be the first meeting of the sides since 1960.

"It is important that we have a match against a strong opponent before we begin our Euro 2024 qualification campaign," Scotland head coach Steve Clarke said.

"Turkey will provide a stern test for us."

Ā 

Edited by Johnnyshaker