Friendly Dates in November - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Friendly Dates in November

N4Footsoldier

Looking at the International fixtures list for 2022, I see from 21 November they have earmarked as the start of the world cup, without any specified dates for friendly games beforehand.

I assume Scotland will take part in 1 or 2 warmup friendlies in November as part of a training camp at a neutral venue, or as one of the qualified team's 'farewell' match. I assume domestic leagues will shut down in the 2 weeks prior to the world cup, so can arrange friendly games on any date in the 1-2eeks prior, but I would have expected some general date range thrown out there for warmup games. Has anyone seen anything about this and when we might expect any annoucnements?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wednesday the 16th seems to be the popular date for games at the moment.

I suspect Scotland will play a game, as we are one game short of our 10 game quota (if we only play 9 games, then we will have to play 11 next year to make it up in order to get the tv money from UEFA)... Just a case of where and who against.

Teams involved in the World Cup are not going to come to Europe in November to acclimatize for a World Cup getting played in scorching heat, and I only see us only going to the Middle East (UAE, Kuwait, Jordan, Egypt etc....) if someone is prepared to fly us over and put us up for 4/5 days.... which I suspect will not happen.

A small amount of games have already been announced... but its things like the Baltic Cup (Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania, with Iceland as a guest) and things like Hungary v Greece and Luxembourg.

I suspect doing well we might get a game v the USA if they decide to stop off here on their way to the World Cup or Wales use us as their send off match.... but I am more geared up for a game v someone like Finland or Bulgaria, simply to just play a game (September to March will be to long to go without a game)

On 9/9/2022 at 8:36 AM, wanderer said:

Wednesday the 16th seems to be the popular date for games at the moment.

I suspect Scotland will play a game, as we are one game short of our 10 game quota (if we only play 9 games, then we will have to play 11 next year to make it up in order to get the tv money from UEFA)... Just a case of where and who against.

Teams involved in the World Cup are not going to come to Europe in November to acclimatize for a World Cup getting played in scorching heat, and I only see us only going to the Middle East (UAE, Kuwait, Jordan, Egypt etc....) if someone is prepared to fly us over and put us up for 4/5 days.... which I suspect will not happen.

A small amount of games have already been announced... but its things like the Baltic Cup (Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania, with Iceland as a guest) and things like Hungary v Greece and Luxembourg.

I suspect doing well we might get a game v the USA if they decide to stop off here on their way to the World Cup or Wales use us as their send off match.... but I am more geared up for a game v someone like Finland or Bulgaria, simply to just play a game (September to March will be to long to go without a game)

All very good points. I imagine re: middle eastern/hot venues the likes of Turkey may also be an option. I've heard of clubs doing training camps in UAE as well, less likely would be the other countries mentioned.

So 3 option would be one of

- send off game for Wales or team from the Americas stopping off somewhere like London on the way

- Training camp somewhere closer to middle east

- Arbitrary game vs another unqualified team to make up TV game quota

Suppose we will just wait and see. These games are generally for us to throw out a 2nd or 3rd string team, get a few boys caps and play at a low intensity. Getting scudded by a team getting themselves ready for a tournament. Just all feels a bit weird that it will be in November this year

2 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

All very good points. I imagine re: middle eastern/hot venues the likes of Turkey may also be an option. I've heard of clubs doing training camps in UAE as well, less likely would be the other countries mentioned.

So 3 option would be one of

- send off game for Wales or team from the Americas stopping off somewhere like London on the way

- Training camp somewhere closer to middle east

- Arbitrary game vs another unqualified team to make up TV game quota

Suppose we will just wait and see. These games are generally for us to throw out a 2nd or 3rd string team, get a few boys caps and play at a low intensity. Getting scudded by a team getting themselves ready for a tournament. Just all feels a bit weird that it will be in November this year

At moment Portugal, Mexico and Poland have said they are playing in Europe (Mexico have said their pre-WC camp is in Spain) while a large number have said they are going to the Middle East to train in Kuwait and UAE.

Euro draw is in a few weeks time, so I would not be shocked if our plans are simply a low key friendly in Europe is our plans, and announced pretty last minute.

5 minutes ago, saintsparky said:

Would doubt they would play in Diyarbakir. It is the capital of the  Kurdish region and currently a lot of political tensions there....

Agree, spent a few moments looking in to it, and you are basically down by the Syrian Border (in a dry state to as well!) with it 10 hours by road from Ankera, and 13 hours from the Medd Resorts in Turkey (having done a holiday in Marmaris, they are not roads I would want to spend that amount of time on to get there and back again!) ... so you will have to get an internal flight once you get to Istanbul or these places.

Edited by wanderer

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

To me this isn't a totally legitimate source. I saw this mentioned in The Sun that it was announced by the mayor/president of the Diyarbakir region, but I imagine that to be more in a Kurdish propaganda context than anything official. It's clearly a Kurdish news channel looking at the logo.

You imagine if it were to be committed to national news then it would be shortly announced by each FA.

Not totally averse to it. Interesting new location, has a regional airport with internal flights with decent availability from Istanbul on a quick search. Not cheap but imagine it would cost a fraction of what some people would have been willing to spend on a WC trip...

Edited by N4Footsoldier

28 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

To me this isn't a totally legitimate source. I saw this mentioned in The Sun that it was announced by the mayor/president of the Diyarbakir region, but I imagine that to be more in a Kurdish propaganda context than anything official. It's clearly a Kurdish news channel looking at the logo.

You imagine if it were to be committed to national news then it would be shortly announced by each FA.

Not totally averse to it. Interesting new location, has a regional airport with internal flights with decent availability from Istanbul on a quick search. Not cheap but imagine it would cost a fraction of what some people would have been willing to spend on a WC trip...

Yes, on the surface, unless Turkey are offering the SFA a massive amount of cash, its a fixture that just takes SFA far to out of their comfort zone.

This would be like us playing Spain in Barcelona or Bilbao, it just does not add up.

To me this is same as Iran away in 2009 and Morocco away 5/6 years ago.... just paper talk.

Edited by wanderer

19 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Yes, on the surface, unless Turkey are offering the SFA a massive amount of cash, its a fixture that just takes SFA far to out of their comfort zone.

This would be like us playing Spain in Barcelona or Bilbao, it just does not add up.

To me this is same as Iran away in 2009 and Morocco away 5/6 years ago.... just paper talk.

Agree - seem to remember Morocco being discussed at great extent back when we ended up playing those 2 games in South America. Ended up being pish in the wind.

9 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Agree - seem to remember Morocco being discussed at great extent back when we ended up playing those 2 games in South America. Ended up being pish in the wind.

Yep, Northern Ireland were recently able to get a game v Greece moved due to how remote the venue was, and while this is a friendly, the lack of a international airport within so-and-so distance should rule it out completely.

36 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Yep, Northern Ireland were recently able to get a game v Greece moved due to how remote the venue was, and while this is a friendly, the lack of a international airport within so-and-so distance should rule it out completely.

Good point - just had a look at flights from the local airport and all internal.

I remember seeing guidelines for venues from UEFA when checking about the Ukraine away game. One of the conditions is within 90mins drive of an international airport that has daily international flights. Unless those conditions are different from a friendly.

The more you add it up it doesn't hold out.

8 hours ago, wanderer said:

Turkish media reporting that Turkey and Scotland are in talks for a game in November.

Talks the game will be in Diyarbakır, which when you look at the map, you start to hope that this is just paper talk.......

Is Turkey the only European team we have never played in modern times