Under 21s - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Under 21s

Tartan blood

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I'm pleasantly surprised to see 16 year olds Ben Doak and Rory Wilson fast-tracked into the U21s. Gemmil maybe realising he'll miss out on them completely if he doesn't get them in asap. 

Screenshot_20220908-095746_Twitter.jpg

Miss out? Meaning what? Straight to first team? Are they eligible for any other countries? Doak certainly looks a great prospect. Watched a bit of Liverpool youth game yesterday and he was MOM by a long way 

GK
Long
Hogarth
Slicker

DF
Devine
Doig
King
McAvoy
Montgomery
Neilson

MF
Anderson
Clarke
Craig
De Bolle
McKinnon
McKinstry
Mochrie
Mulligan
Smith

FW
Bowie
Conway
Doak
Wilson

Nice to see Gemmill actually call up some strikers for once after playing wingers up top the whole of the last campaign

22 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Miss out? Meaning what? Straight to first team? Are they eligible for any other countries? Doak certainly looks a great prospect. Watched a bit of Liverpool youth game yesterday and he was MOM by a long way 

Yeah, I meant they could end up in the first team fairly early. He didn't get any time with Hickey, and only 4 games with Patterson. Both still eligible for the u21s. As is Gilmour.

Doak looked very comfortable playing in Celtic's first team a few months back.

Rory Wilson is the only prolific Scottish goalscorer I've heard about in the past few years. So hopefully he does breakthrough early.

11 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Yeah, I meant they could end up in the first team fairly early. He didn't get any time with Hickey, and only 4 games with Patterson. Both still eligible for the u21s. As is Gilmour.

Doak looked very comfortable playing in Celtic's first team a few months back.

Rory Wilson is the only prolific Scottish goalscorer I've heard about in the past few years. So hopefully he does breakthrough early.

Conway seems to have come from nowhere but has scored I think I read 6/10 in the championship this season, Bowie was consistent in Prem 2. And good start in league 2 with Northampton on loan. 

1 hour ago, syecosse said:

Conway seems to have come from nowhere but has scored I think I read 6/10 in the championship this season, Bowie was consistent in Prem 2. And good start in league 2 with Northampton on loan. 

I'd never heard of Conway before today.

Adam Montgomery seems an odd one. I'd be pretty surprised if he became a full international. I'd rather see the likes of Hepburn, Morrison, Mebude and Kerr Smith than him.

Leon King is now a Champions League player. Doig is a Serie A player. And Elliot Anderson is an EPL player. On the whole, a very good looking squad. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Looks like tommy conway is eligible for us. If he keeps his scoring rate up he will be looking to make the senior squad. Only just turned 20 and has 6 goals in 10 games at english championship level. Just surprised the england u21s havent selected him yet.

Scottish grandad apparently 

6 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Scottish grandad apparently 

Nice one. I am guessing his first choice will be england but he wont have to make that choice for maybe another 6 months or year. If hes only 20 and scoring goals in the championship then he will be called up by clarke pretty soon. Could be a tough decision for the lad as he could still turn out to be good enough for england in a few years time. Just a case of wether he wants to hold out for them or come with us.

Obviously the bravehearts will come wading in with the rhetoric of 'we dont want english rejects' despite us having heaps over the years che adams being a prime example.

What would our best 11 at U21 actually look like? My best guess:

Slicker

Patterson - Neilson - King - Hickey

Fiorini - Anderson - Barron

Doak - Wilson - ?

subs: Ramsay - Doig - Mochrie - ? - ? - ? - Bowie

Of course it’s hard to say if some of the players not promoted early (Mebude has been mentioned, but Morrison and Hepburn at Bayern and others at lower age levels are possibly also better than some of those picked).

1 minute ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

What would our best 11 at U21 actually look like? My best guess:

Slicker

Patterson - Neilson - King - Hickey

Fiorini - Anderson - Barron

Doak - Wilson - ?

subs: Ramsay - Doig - Mochrie - ? - ? - ? - Bowie

Of course it’s hard to say if some of the players not promoted early (Mebude has been mentioned, but Morrison and Hepburn at Bayern and others at lower age levels are possibly also better than some of those picked).

I think conway would have to be picked for the first team. How often do we have a 20 year old scoring goals in the english championship. 

3 hours ago, csinclair said:

I would also like to have seen this given his start to the season with Man City's development squad

He is eligible for England and Nigeria aswell so we need to be careful.  Don't want to lose a very promising youngster.

I seen Dapo Mebude has joined kV Oostende. That's the side Hendry went to from Celtic. Hopefully this move does the same for Dapo. There is a good footballer there, just needs to find the right place and develop. 

56 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think conway would have to be picked for the first team. How often do we have a 20 year old scoring goals in the english championship. 

I live in Guernsey and local side Guernsey FC have a strong tie up with Bristol City with 3 Guernsey youngsters having signed for them in recent years including Alex Scott who is now an England u19 international. The Guernsey FC manager spent some time over there recently and tweeted earlier today that Conway should be in the Scotland full squad. With lack of fit strikers that chance might come soon?

8 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

I live in Guernsey and local side Guernsey FC have a strong tie up with Bristol City with 3 Guernsey youngsters having signed for them in recent years including Alex Scott who is now an England u19 international. The Guernsey FC manager spent some time over there recently and tweeted earlier today that Conway should be in the Scotland full squad. With lack of fit strikers that chance might come soon?

Another 5 or 6 goals in the next couple of months and he will have to be in future squads. Its rare that we get a 20 year old striker scoring goals at that kind of level. Hes only just turned 20 as well. He could very well be the goalscorer we have desperately needed for years. Obviously stewart looks promising as well but hes already 26 so theres potentially a very limited time that we will benefit from him provided he continues his upward trajectory into the epl.

Just noticing that there isn't a single Celtic player in there. Except an on-loan Adam Montgomery, who is extremely unlikely to ever become a full international.

Changed times. I'm sure that is partly because a lot of Celtic's best prospects have been pinched, but there doesn't seem to be any young Scots even being mentioned at Celtic lately. Stephen Welsh is probably the only one, and is now too old.