Old Scottish pics..... - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Old Scottish pics.....

Aberdeen, top of the League and defending champions, averaging 14.5k.

I was a student in Aberdeen at that time and went to Pittodrie a fair bit.  Capacity at that point was 22-23K from what I can remember, I also remember that you could turn up and pay at the gate for virtually every game, the exceptions being Rangers and certain European ties.

That’s not really a dig at Aberdeen, rather that football, in general, was very unpopular amongst the general public at that time, facilities were Victorian and there was a lot of trouble at games - height of the Soccer Casual era.

Interestingly, this was the season that Hearts blew the double, at this point in the league, about a third of the way through, they were back in 6th place.   They must’ve gone on a long unbeaten run from then as they only lost 6 games all season and one of those was obviously at Dens Park on the last day.

45 minutes ago, aaid said:

Aberdeen, top of the League and defending champions, averaging 14.5k.

I was a student in Aberdeen at that time and went to Pittodrie a fair bit.  Capacity at that point was 22-23K from what I can remember, I also remember that you could turn up and pay at the gate for virtually every game, the exceptions being Rangers and certain European ties.

That’s not really a dig at Aberdeen, rather that football, in general, was very unpopular amongst the general public at that time, facilities were Victorian and there was a lot of trouble at games - height of the Soccer Casual era.

Interestingly, this was the season that Hearts blew the double, at this point in the league, about a third of the way through, they were back in 6th place.   They must’ve gone on a long unbeaten run from then as they only lost 6 games all season and one of those was obviously at Dens Park on the last day.

closer to 24k ; but am trying to recall if this is the season that paddock/king street end was closed for new roof ?

there was a "voucher" system in place at this time (i understand after debacle of liverpool game ticketing few years earlier) essentially back of ticket/stub was classed as 1 voucher - pretty sure you got one of these for pay at the gate games

certain big games were ticket only / advertised in the press -  old firm and some euro games (i recall dinamo berlin was pay at gate and was 19k ish ...)

they would advertise a game starting at say 3 vouchers , then 2 etc ......

= a chant directed at early leavers at games ( not as common back then ? traffic....) "here for the vouchers / you're only here for the vouchers " to the tune of 'sing when your winning'

entry for adults was 2.50/3.00 quid back then - i remember being shocked at 5 pound for Porto ECWC semi final

i saw zero trouble with casuals at home during this era - away of course a different matter

it was typically a blokes pastime though - as a teenager i can vouch for the low numbers of similar aged females at the games back then ..... of course you got the die hard couples in the main stand (tartan rug & pandrops etc) loads of men with their kids - but demographic has changed totally 

- i suspect the last minute pay at the gate ; sit where you want format attracted a lot of 'latent' support who otherwise would not be bothered/organized to pre book tickets

back then you could be in a pub pre game ; and see interested parties tag along or  conversely attract others to sink a few more and avoid the lashing rain for a dull midweek game

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

One of my favorite Scotland players. Great player in his day....

FB_IMG_1662040984847.jpg

Outstanding ; when he could be arsed

we had a few in the Dons side around that time who likely light years ahead of their time and were not fully appreciated by the blood & thunder punters ; myself included - Bobby Connor & Billy Stark spring to mind

6 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

CLYDE !! doing well in the old 1st division and still at that time playing at Shawfield. 👍

Sad to see some of the old clubs either no longer with us, or dropped out the pyramid system

Dunfermline & QoS were getting some 5000 gates at top of Div 2 back then - more than Dumbarton in Premier league - think was only 2000 when Dons played them at Boghead

Clydebank was bit better ; but away supports to pittodrie for some teams back then was counted by the taxi load

16 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

closer to 24k ; but am trying to recall if this is the season that paddock/king street end was closed for new roof ?

there was a "voucher" system in place at this time (i understand after debacle of liverpool game ticketing few years earlier) essentially back of ticket/stub was classed as 1 voucher - pretty sure you got one of these for pay at the gate games

certain big games were ticket only / advertised in the press -  old firm and some euro games (i recall dinamo berlin was pay at gate and was 19k ish ...)

they would advertise a game starting at say 3 vouchers , then 2 etc ......

= a chant directed at early leavers at games ( not as common back then ? traffic....) "here for the vouchers / you're only here for the vouchers " to the tune of 'sing when your winning'

entry for adults was 2.50/3.00 quid back then - i remember being shocked at 5 pound for Porto ECWC semi final

i saw zero trouble with casuals at home during this era - away of course a different matter

it was typically a blokes pastime though - as a teenager i can vouch for the low numbers of similar aged females at the games back then ..... of course you got the die hard couples in the main stand (tartan rug & pandrops etc) loads of men with their kids - but demographic has changed totally 

- i suspect the last minute pay at the gate ; sit where you want format attracted a lot of 'latent' support who otherwise would not be bothered/organized to pre book tickets

back then you could be in a pub pre game ; and see interested parties tag along or  conversely attract others to sink a few more and avoid the lashing rain for a dull midweek game

I can remember the voucher system and passing them on to mates who supported Aberdeen for big games.

I don’t really recall much trouble at games either - and it certainly didn’t stop me going to games - although Union St could be a bit dicey on a Saturday night trying to avoid Val Doonican clones, it was more the way things were reported and a general hysteria in the press.   In those days, if you went to football, “ordinary decent people” would think you were a hooligan.  

I don’t really recall many women going in those days either. 

One major difference from those days today is that season tickets were a lot less popular then.

33 minutes ago, aaid said:

I can remember the voucher system and passing them on to mates who supported Aberdeen for big games.

I don’t really recall much trouble at games either - and it certainly didn’t stop me going to games - although Union St could be a bit dicey on a Saturday night trying to avoid Val Doonican clones, it was more the way things were reported and a general hysteria in the press.   In those days, if you went to football, “ordinary decent people” would think you were a hooligan.  

I don’t really recall many women going in those days either. 

One major difference from those days today is that season tickets were a lot less popular then.

ah the Saturday night in town ; likely before Belmont St was even a thing - Windmill brae maybe ? - you rarely saw girls/woman out in large groups you see these days - typically a timid pair fairly conservatively dressed .... we wore suits and ties back then - doh - was mainly folk who lived in city / stonehaven at a push

clubs (discos) back then a bit different too ; Cousins was our old haunt - Willie M would sometimes be there at night - saw some other players out sometimes - but think they frequented Champers in Maryculter

back to the fitba - yeah agree re season tix - i only bought a book once - early 90s was in new year when you got half a book/season of tickets - were just giant raffle tickets - where you had to match your number to corresponding number of the day above the turnstiles

another modernism is the complaint about "family day out" pricing ....... "after the cost of the tickets , and hamburgers and cokes etc , am stony broke " this is common to football , but hear the same thing in cinemas , theatre too - dont want to get all Dickensian here , but as kids when we went to pittodrie i'd never had a pie - we'd been given 5p to go down the front for crisps off the boy in the track , & typically hang out behind the goal with other kids for a while - never felt like was going to starve ; suppose didnt see all the other kids running about with pies either.....

25 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

ah the Saturday night in town ; likely before Belmont St was even a thing - Windmill brae maybe ? - you rarely saw girls/woman out in large groups you see these days - typically a timid pair fairly conservatively dressed .... we wore suits and ties back then - doh - was mainly folk who lived in city / stonehaven at a push

clubs (discos) back then a bit different too ; Cousins was our old haunt - Willie M would sometimes be there at night - saw some other players out sometimes - but think they frequented Champers in Maryculter

back to the fitba - yeah agree re season tix - i only bought a book once - early 90s was in new year when you got half a book/season of tickets - were just giant raffle tickets - where you had to match your number to corresponding number of the day above the turnstiles

another modernism is the complaint about "family day out" pricing ....... "after the cost of the tickets , and hamburgers and cokes etc , am stony broke " this is common to football , but hear the same thing in cinemas , theatre too - dont want to get all Dickensian here , but as kids when we went to pittodrie i'd never had a pie - we'd been given 5p to go down the front for crisps off the boy in the track , & typically hang out behind the goal with other kids for a while - never felt like was going to starve ; suppose didnt see all the other kids running about with pies either.....

Screenshot_20220901-102219_Facebook.jpg

Classic Hibernians shirt on Jukebox, think we started the season without a sponsor and Insave was added a couple of months in. You could buy the shirt with or without the sponsor if memory serves me. Stevie Cowan banged in 28 goals that year, no a bad return for a fat lazy bass

1 hour ago, dan cake said:

Classic Hibernians shirt on Jukebox, think we started the season without a sponsor and Insave was added a couple of months in. You could buy the shirt with or without the sponsor if memory serves me. Stevie Cowan banged in 28 goals that year, no a bad return for a fat lazy bass

Kind of ironic having no sponsor , after the groundbreaking “Bukta” deal….

1 hour ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Kind of ironic having no sponsor , after the groundbreaking “Bukta” deal….

Yup, Floodlights and electronic scoreboards also first seen in Scotland at Easter Road. Unfortunately a missed Pearce O’Leary penalty broke the scoreboard 

56 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Surprised to hear you speaking so fondly of an ex Rangers player!! 

When it comes to Scotland, there is only one color I see. The famous dark blue. I don't care who Bett played for, incidentally he also played for Aberdeen I believe. I also liked McCoist and Souness when they played for Scotland. They are still hun bastards outside of Hampden though.. 🤣🤣