Scotland v Ukraine-here we go again - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Ukraine-here we go again

thesaint

2 minutes ago, kumnio said:

First half was average. Second half until we scored, we were excellent, just couldn't get the crucial goal, and you kinda feared the worst. Finally scored, and we absolutely deserved to get another couple, that second half performance could have been 5, 6, 7.

Don't think anyone had a bad game, pity we couldn't score earlier, or take more of our chances, but overall, that was excellent.

I thought we were quite good first half. Problem is we are very poor at holding onto the ball too long when we should be unleashing a shot or a pass.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I thought we were quite good first half. Problem is we are very poor at holding onto the ball too long when we should be unleashing a shot or a pass.

I thought the main problem 1st half was the lack of height in their box. We got into good positions, put some nice crosses in but they’ve got to be pinpoint to find Adams or any of the attacking midfielders making runs into the box.

But tonight we actually looked like a team full of EPL players.

Edited by Scot1

10 minutes ago, kumnio said:

First half was average. Second half until we scored, we were excellent, just couldn't get the crucial goal, and you kinda feared the worst. Finally scored, and we absolutely deserved to get another couple, that second half performance could have been 5, 6, 7.

Don't think anyone had a bad game, pity we couldn't score earlier, or take more of our chances, but overall, that was excellent.

That's why seeing "Finally" was nothing but welcome!

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Wee bit of trivia: Aaron Hickey became the first Brentford player to play for Scotland since Archie Macauley in April 1947.

Think that’s the first time we’ve defeated Ukraine. Don’t think we’ve played them many times before but it’s always nice to chalk up the 1st win. 

2 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Pretty sure i saw us beat them 3-1 for euro 2008 qualifying.

Aye you’re  right, must have misheard it on the tv

Edited by Scot1

48 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Apart from workrate hes been one of the poorer players tonight. His touch at times is awful and he holds onto the ball too long and makes the wrong decisions half the time. I would much rather fraser in his place. 

Christie was good. No idea what match you were at.

Just now, duncan II said:

Christie was good. No idea what match you were at.

You think? Thought he was ok, his touch at times is brutal. He didnt play badly but hes definitely not a first team pick for me. Saying that he works hard and closes down players which is important. I would have fraser starting over him.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

You think? Thought he was ok, his touch at times is brutal. He didnt play badly but hes definitely not a first team pick for me. Saying that he works hard and closes down players which is important. I would have fraser starting over him.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't have started him tonight. But thought he was very lively, busy. Great touch. Always tires late on. But yeah, thought he was very good.

14 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Clarke just said someone getting called up to replace turnbull. 

Elliott Anderson surely.. 

what kind of midfielder is Anderson, I’ve not seen him play before. 

7 minutes ago, duncan II said:

For what it's worth, I wouldn't have started him tonight. But thought he was very lively, busy. Great touch. Always tires late on. But yeah, thought he was very good.

His workrate is great and he battles away. Thought he played ok. Dont want to be negative about him tbh as every player played their part in what was a excellent victory. Lets hope the players pull out a similar performance against ireland.

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

It's a tough one as I thought Adams aside from those missed chances was really good at hold up play and creating space. Also should've had an assist from that botched Armstrong header.

Away from home you need to get moments on counter attack so it's more of a struggle with Dykes if he isn't holding it up too well.

Of course could start both but that would mean going to 5atb. Not sure that's needed given how well defence has done tonight.

Just win the ROI game and see what situation is, you never know Armenia could get something off Ukraine who are a much poorer team without Zinchenko.

Adams didn't have missed chances 😂 harsh to say they were misses as such.

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

That was a fantastic performance; I can't remember that last time we were that convincing against a side of that level of ability.

We played well but we were very vulnerable on the counter and a good team would make us pay easily. We also had a lot of the ball which we won't get all the time.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Apart from workrate hes been one of the poorer players tonight. His touch at times is awful and he holds onto the ball too long and makes the wrong decisions half the time. I would much rather fraser in his place. 

Fraser's work rate is usually shite to be fair.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Its great that we have someone like hickey who can come on for patterson. Hickey being able to play right back will really enhance his gametime chances and is a great assset for clarke.

I reckon Hickey is the better player

Just now, Kirk said:

We played well but we were very vulnerable on the counter and a good team would make us pay easily. We also had a lot of the ball which we won't get all the time.

Adams was unlucky, especially the one that hit the bar. 

I think its unfair to say hickeys the better player than patterson. Patterson has been excellent in a scotland shirt so far and its great that both are available at right back.

Don't like saying it but Hickey coming on for Patterson made a big difference. First 20 minutes their number 10 was getting away from Patterson. Hickey is a better defender and stopped that happening. A place for either of them depending on the opposition though. Tierney for Scotland is better than Robertson for Scotland. 

Massive choices to be made in the full back position going forward. 

Wouldn't change the starting 11 for the next game, probably toss a coin for right back. Easy to say the subs played well but it's a different game if you're 1-0 up after tearing them apart for 30 minutes with 15 to go. 

21 minutes ago, Kirk said:

🥱

I thought, all-round a great performance. We kept it tight at the back and denied them any chances and we gradually pressed them back deeper and deeper. At times they were in disarray and they are a decent side.

Every one of our players put in a good shift and we got what we thoroughly deserved in the end. We used Lyndon Dykes to great effect late on and John.McGinn just keeps banging them in. That is 14 goals now for us - only a handful of Scots have scored more for us and they were all strikers. Hope Patterson's injury is not as bad as it looked.

More of the same on Saturday lads.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

4 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Don't like saying it but Hickey coming on for Patterson made a big difference. First 20 minutes their number 10 was getting away from Patterson. Hickey is a better defender and stopped that happening. A place for either of them depending on the opposition though. Tierney for Scotland is better than Robertson for Scotland. 

Massive choices to be made in the full back position going forward. 

Wouldn't change the starting 11 for the next game, probably toss a coin for right back. Easy to say the subs played well but it's a different game if you're 1-0 up after tearing them apart for 30 minutes with 15 to go. 

Maybe theres some truth in that but we really dominated as a team in the second half and i reckon patterson would have played well in the second half. I thought he played well before he was taken off.

Question is what happens when robertson comes back. Personally i think tierney could easily play as a left winger/midfielder and we should maybe try that. Its either that or we drop robertson. I am probably one of the few who like him and i think hes done well under clarke but tierney gives us another dimension when he plays.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I thought, all-round a great performance. We kept it tight at the back and denied them any chances and we gradually pressed them back deeper and deeper. At times they were in disarray and they are a decent side.

Every one of our players put in a good shift and we got what we thoroughly deserved in the end. We used Lyndon Dykes to great effect late on and John.McGinn just keeps banging them in. That is 14 goals now for us - only a handful of Scots have scored more for us and they were all strikers. Hope Patterson's injury is not as bad as it looked.

More of the same on Saturday lads.

Mcginn is brilliant, i was actually cursing him a couple of times tonight before his goal but i should of known better. Guy knows where the net is which is something we rely on greatly.

Really need more goalscorers in the team.