Scotland v Ukraine-here we go again - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Ukraine-here we go again

thesaint

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, scotlad said:

Same here, the defender was very lucky to stay on the pitch. Someone could cause a very serious injury making a challenge like that.

If one of our lads had done it I'd be disappointed with him but at the same time I'd feel relieved that we'd got away with one.

I think if one of our players had tackled like that last night the card would have been a different colour. The ref did hand out a reasonable amount of yellow cards to Ukraine but I think he would have shat it knowing there are plenty who would have agreed with a red on that tackle. 

4 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

We weren't even remotely defensive under Clarke. 

Greg Stewart, Jordan Jones, Liam Miller, Mulumbu, Chris Burke etc all were mainstays and weren't the kind of players you park the bus with! 

I was doing a wee spot of fishing 🎣 couldn't resist.😇

McTomminay was a clear motm for me but McGreggor was also a top performer.

What I would take from being there last night and then watching the highlights was that McGinn is still miles off. There were several times during the game, especially 1st half where the ball either just bounced off him or his passing was really poor. That being said he has the habit of popping up with important goals.

Adams is a clear 1st choice starter. He didnt score but offers us so much in terms of being a danger in behind, stretching them and is good at holding the ball up etc. Dykes imo is very limited but thats not neccesarily a huge criticism. He is perfect as an impact sub when the defenders and tired and the shape of the game has been established. Imo if Dkyes starts last night then Ukraine can play much further up the pitch and all of a sudden we are penned in.

Hickey was exceptional. Really solid defensively but also came into things going forward as the game went on.

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I don't think there will be many out there who gave us a chance before the game. Some of our players were out of form at club level and we shat it against Ukraine in our last two meetings at home.

The crowd eas quiet and I didn't know anyone who wS really up for this match before it started.

Clarke was the one who surprised, many said he wouldn't change his ways but he did and some how got the players to play out his best performance as manager 

I think you are on to something here. Tierney for  me is such and in important part of this team, without him I think we struggle.

The crowd was quiet for a fair part of the game. The small group of Ukraine supporters were far more vocal, its fairly common these days. However when we got to grips with things the players were really feeding off the crowd, I dont think I have seen a more obvious example for a long time.
I would like to see Hampden have something like St Mirren has , a group of supporters that keep an almost constant noise throughout the match. It still allows the crowd to rise above the noise when there is some action but removes dead atmosphere at other times.
I know its been discussed to death on here though and not really for this thread.  

34 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Blows the overly defensive tag that folk like to pigeon hole Clarke with, out the water. 

I don’t think he’s defensive, but I do think he’d have gone with a back three had Robertson been fit, and we’d probably have lost. He’s seen what his players are capable of now and I hope he sticks with it. 

8 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He's literally chose to play for England over Scotland in the last year.

On the other hand he has been picked for our u21s and it could be argued that  getting him involved in the senior squad will secure his future with us. Let McTominay and Adams persuade him that a blue jersey with a lion rampant is far better than a white one with three leopards on it.

1 minute ago, Hertsscot said:

On the other hand he has been picked for our u21s and it could be argued that  getting him involved in the senior squad will secure his future with us. Let McTominay and Adams persuade him that a blue jersey with a lion rampant is far better than a white one with three leopards on it.

He's turned U21 call ups down to play in League 2.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Listening to the sportsound debate on whether Tierney or Robertson should play. Leanne Crichton got it spot on, they could play a game each or just move Tierney to left mid..

We also have another full back debate now.....hickey or Patterson. 

It's absolutely mental to think we have 8 EPL, 1 Serie A, 1 celtic player player playing in the CL.......OK we have one jambo but its a massive upgrade on where we were 2 or 3 years ago.

We also have 5 subs now as well, which should make it easier for mangers to manage the squads. There is no reason why Robbo and Tierney can't play in every game, if fit, but they don't always have to be on the pitch at the same time, especially if we are to continue to have triple headers. Same with the right backs. The main problem with that is that Clarke has been reluctant to use his subs, but hopefully that might change after last night's super decision?

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Great performance last night. I was a bit anxious first 10 minutes when they were getting a lot of joy down our right hand side. Also anxious before we scored, as we'd had several chances and nothing had gone in, thought it was going to be one of those nights.

Clarke got the subs right. If I was a tiring centre half I wouldn't want to face a fresh Lyndon Dykes for 15 minutes, and if I were a tiring full back, I wouldn't really want to face Ryan Fraser. Ollie Burke could have a similar effect as an 'impact sub'.

Yip, they were a real threat at the start, Mudryk was getting away all the time. Reminded me a bit of playing Israel, we got caught out from the wings regularly. 

Steve Clarke mentioned in his post match interview about Dykes and Fraser coming on late. He said Adams and Armstrong had done a lot of hard work tiring the Ukraine defenders which allowed Dykes and Fraser to take advantage. Thought it was nice that he was giving recognition to Adams and Armstrong as the glory tends to go the goal scorers /makers.

Ireland will be aware of this for Saturday’s game and may consider their own subs accordingly so we will need to be one step ahead. I cant decide whether Dykes should start or not. His timing and placing   for the headers last night was outstanding, but he wont always get that space. I think Ireland will have him well marked if he starts and he may get frustrated if he isnt scoring. It will be a hard decision for Clarke IMO. 

15 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

McTomminay was a clear motm for me but McGreggor was also a top performer.

It's just great that we have got things like this to argue about. 😂 Last time we played Ukraine I think most folk would have agreed that every single Ukraine player was ahead of every single Scotland player in the MOM stakes. 😂

McTominay had a great game last night but he still isn't playing quite at McGregor's level yet. I hope he will eventually though. 

10 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

We also have 5 subs now as well, which should make it easier for mangers to manage the squads. There is no reason why Robbo and Tierney can't play in every game, if fit, but they don't always have to be on the pitch at the same time, especially if we are to continue to have triple headers. Same with the right backs. The main problem with that is that Clarke has been reluctant to use his subs, but hopefully that might change after last night's super decision?

Indeed.

Last night, even after injuries, the starting eleven were all playing for top flight clubs and only two of the subs played outside the top flight (for Championship clubs). And all of the outfield ten had scored at least once for Scotland in their careers.

2 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Hopefully Armstrong isn't too deflated, think he felt he was going to cost us the game with those misses. Other than possession these are impressive stats 

Screenshot_20220922-093339.png

Armstrong had a good gane imo. Just needs to be more composed in front of goal. Those possesion stats are strange. Thought we would have been higher than that especially considering the second half.

Seems like possesion means very little in football these days if you dont use it to create decent chances like we did last night.

Best I’ve seen from us in quite a while. As others have said McTominay & McGregor gave us excellent control in possession and worked hard out of it, i thought Hendry was very good bringing the ball out from the back as well. I missed any Queen drama arriving a little late as usual and you couldn’t hear anything outside, boos, clapping or otherwise.

Anyway hopefully we take this form into Saturday, just need to find a decent boozer in Madrid to watch it 😎

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

I don’t think he’s defensive, but I do think he’d have gone with a back three had Robertson been fit, and we’d probably have lost. He’s seen what his players are capable of now and I hope he sticks with it. 

Not sure we would have necessarily  lost with a back 5 and robbo playing.  The back 5 has worked in the past because tierney plays and is comfortable carrying the ball out of defense and into midfield freeing up space for the midfielders and helping to pull opposition players out of position.

Personally i think the players actually turned up last night and we really need them to do that more often. The back 4 was good but a back 5 that has tierney in it has yielded decent results as well.

Ppl are too quick to blame the formation as the main reason when we win or lose.  Last night mctominay also played his best match in a scotland shirt and we need him to do that more often if we want to get results. Tierney is also key to our success and we look a much better team with him in it. Problem is hes injured half the time.

Going forward i would like to see a back 4 but whats important is we get good performances from our best players and last night that happened regardless of formation.

3 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Hopefully Armstrong isn't too deflated, think he felt he was going to cost us the game with those misses. Other than possession these are impressive stats 

Screenshot_20220922-093339.png

When's the last time we had 24 attempts at goal?  Against anyone, never mind a team ranked higher than us! 

15 minutes ago, slasher said:

Best I’ve seen from us in quite a while. As others have said McTominay & McGregor gave us excellent control in possession and worked hard out of it, i thought Hendry was very good bringing the ball out from the back as well. I missed any Queen drama arriving a little late as usual and you couldn’t hear anything outside, boos, clapping or otherwise.

Anyway hopefully we take this form into Saturday, just need to find a decent boozer in Madrid to watch it 😎

Jack hendry was excellent last night. Just hope he gets gametime this season as he was building good momentum in his career in belgium. Hes 27 and needs to be playing every week as hes had very little first team football for a guy his age.