Scotland v Ukraine-here we go again - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Ukraine-here we go again

thesaint

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, bonzo said:

I really didn't expect much tonight but I'm always glad to be proved wrong. 2nd half we pummeled them, more of the same on Saturday, sneak a win next week and Bob's your auntie 😁

Ditto . Will happily eat humble pie for my negativity. Wtf do I know  😁

Best performance I have seen for a long time. Ukraine were a threat down the left in the first half, we seemed to be giving them too much space there.
But we really lifted lifted the energy levels and clicked as the game went on. Cant believe no one is really mentioning McGregor, I thought  he was outstanding. The whole team were great over the 90 minutes right enough so its hard to single out individuals. 
Play like that on Saturday and we have nothing to fear from Ireland. 

Thought it was a definite red for the tackle on Adams. He worked his arse off tonight . 

An excellent result and performance tonight - as good as June's performance was bad. The team selection, tactics and formation were all spot on. The only bad news was the injury to Patterson, which didn't look good at all. 🙁

But well done Steve Clarke and co. That could easily be the best performance of his tenure so far. We've put ourselves in a position where we can win the group, which is massive both in terms of qualification for the Euros but also for the next World Cup.

5 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Best performance I have seen for a long time. Ukraine were a threat down the left in the first half, we seemed to be giving them too much space there.
But we really lifted lifted the energy levels and clicked as the game went on. Cant believe no one is really mentioning McGregor, I thought  he was outstanding. The whole team were great over the 90 minutes right enough so its hard to single out individuals. 

Thought it was a definite red for the tackle on Adams. He worked his arse off tonight . 

Same here, the defender was very lucky to stay on the pitch. Someone could cause a very serious injury making a challenge like that.

If one of our lads had done it I'd be disappointed with him but at the same time I'd feel relieved that we'd got away with one.

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

Adams didn't have missed chances 😂 harsh to say they were misses as such.

We played well but we were very vulnerable on the counter and a good team would make us pay easily. We also had a lot of the ball which we won't get all the time.

Fraser's work rate is usually shite to be fair.

I reckon Hickey is the better player

Ukraine are a good team. Not as good as some were making out beforehand and certainly not a great team but they were good enough to get to the QFs of the Euros and were arguably unlucky not to get the World Cup.

I've seen previous Scotland sides struggle against teams of Ukraine's level before. To beat a team like Ukraine convincingly tells me progress is being made.

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol your use of years is still a bit much. We had also played the last 20 years with mostly a back 4 and had no success so its not like you are suddenly vindicated on the back of tonight. Its not like we are winning 2/3 nil.We are nil nil at home to a team if similar standard. 

I think tonight's success has more to do with the standard of player available than whether we play with a back three, four or five. Ten of tonight's starting eleven either play or have played in a top European league. The only who hasn't, or doesn't, captains a side in the Champions League. Compare that to some of the sides Burley, Levein and even Strachan put out, full of English Championship and Scottish Premiership players, and it's clear why, when we're on our game, we can produce performances like tonight's.

And yes, two of the three goals were scored by an English Championship striker but the deliveries into the box were top class.

Tactics and formations count for little if you don't have the right calibre of player to make the most of them. At the moment, when all or most of our key players are fit and in the right frame of mind, we do. 👍

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Dominated the second half. We need the same against ireland and then try and nick something over in poland.

Is it likely we get a play off spot for comjng second?

We will win the group with 2 draws. Ironically we might not win the group with a win on Saturday unless Ukraine fail to win in Armenia. If we win on Saturday and Ukraine win their game we will need a point in Poland against them.

If we come 2nd in the group there is still every chance that might be enough for a play off should we fail to finish in the top 2 in our Euro 2024 qualifying group as it is highly likely 20 qualifiers (plus Germany) will come from Nations League's A and B. If Ukraine for instance finish ahead of us and qualify automatically for Euro 2024 then a spot would open up. Beating Ireland on Saturday is still huge for our 'ranking' for a play off spot.

After tonight and showing what we can do against this type of opposition we should be targeting automatic qualification anyway of we can avoid a hellish group. The draw for the Euro qualifying is 2 weeks on Sunday. 

First half was quite forgettable. We huffed and puffed without creating anything of note but what a difference in the 2nd half.

A tackle from Hendry seemed to spark the us in the crowd into life and suddenly we were in their faces, winning everything and taking control.  We pressed everything and Ukraine looked less than ordinary due to the shift the boys were putting in. 

McGinn, once again taking the game by the scruff of the neck with his never give in foraging, typified by his goal. Adams put in a great performance and worthy of a goal. Armstrong could've had a hat trick.

Fraser brought a different energy to the game and replaced Christie who was up and down the pitch trying to spark us into life. Dykes doing what he does best. 

Overall a great team performance and gives Clarke a few decisions to make for Saturday. Perfect confidence builder against a decent side.

Bring on the Irish!

Tonights result is an example of what we should be aiming for consistently. Until the last round of games we were very much on a upward trajectory and hopefully this result is puts things back on track. This group of players is potentially a golden generation for us and under good management we should be getting to the next 2 or 3 euros and maybe even a world cup. Thats my hope for this group especially if some of the younger players turn into real stars. 

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I don't think there will be many out there who gave us a chance before the game. Some of our players were out of form at club level and we shat it against Ukraine in our last two meetings at home.

The crowd eas quiet and I didn't know anyone who wS really up for this match before it started.

Clarke was the one who surprised, many said he wouldn't change his ways but he did and some how got the players to play out his best performance as manager 

4 hours ago, scotlad said:

I think tonight's success has more to do with the standard of player available than whether we play with a back three, four or five. Ten of tonight's starting eleven either play or have played in a top European league. The only who hasn't, or doesn't, captains a side in the Champions League. Compare that to some of the sides Burley, Levein and even Strachan put out, full of English Championship and Scottish Premiership players, and it's clear why, when we're on our game, we can produce performances like tonight's.

And yes, two of the three goals were scored by an English Championship striker but the deliveries into the box were top class.

Tactics and formations count for little if you don't have the right calibre of player to make the most of them. At the moment, when all or most of our key players are fit and in the right frame of mind, we do. 👍

I think you are on to something here. Tierney for  me is such and in important part of this team, without him I think we struggle.

10 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Been very good. 

Need to win though. Ukraine look better on the ball than us though

Imagine we had a world class striker though. Like Adams, a decent player but doesn't score or take chances enough. 

What game were you watching? Ukraine were terrible. 

7 hours ago, bonzo said:

I really didn't expect much tonight but I'm always glad to be proved wrong. 2nd half we pummeled them, more of the same on Saturday, sneak a win next week and Bob's your auntie 😁

If we beat Ireland on Saturday a draw next Wednesday will do. We might not even need a point in Poland if Ukraine fail to beat Armenia. 

Not taking anything for granted against Ireland but if we play like we did last night we really should beat them. 

What a performance and perfect response on the back of one of our worst performances in a long time vs Ireland.

Time to right that wrong on Saturday.

A few excellent performances (Tierney, McTominay, Adams, Hickey - the list goes on)

Also a fair number of players having their best game for Scotland at the same time.

Our defence was excellent. Could see a partnership forming at centre back now between those two.

Thought Hickey was outstanding when he came on & The combo of Adams then Dykes just worked to a tee, love them pair. 

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

You think? Thought he was ok, his touch at times is brutal. He didnt play badly but hes definitely not a first team pick for me. Saying that he works hard and closes down players which is important. I would have fraser starting over him.

Agree. I think Fraser will be starting on Saturday for one of Christie or Armstrong. 

That was the kind of performance we are well capable of. It’s been frustrating to see them set out in such awkward fashion up until now. If Robertson is back, Tierney could play in midfield without a problem. The pace of Hendry and McKenna is terrific for us and allows us to squeeze the opposition and dominate midfield. More of the same please.

Listening to the sportsound debate on whether Tierney or Robertson should play. Leanne Crichton got it spot on, they could play a game each or just move Tierney to left mid..

We also have another full back debate now.....hickey or Patterson. 

It's absolutely mental to think we have 8 EPL, 1 Serie A, 1 celtic player player playing in the CL.......OK we have one jambo but its a massive upgrade on where we were 2 or 3 years ago.

Great performance last night. I was a bit anxious first 10 minutes when they were getting a lot of joy down our right hand side. Also anxious before we scored, as we'd had several chances and nothing had gone in, thought it was going to be one of those nights.

Clarke got the subs right. If I was a tiring centre half I wouldn't want to face a fresh Lyndon Dykes for 15 minutes, and if I were a tiring full back, I wouldn't really want to face Ryan Fraser. Ollie Burke could have a similar effect as an 'impact sub'.