Scotland v Ukraine-here we go again - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Ukraine-here we go again

thesaint

On 9/20/2022 at 8:21 AM, DAVIDB46 said:

Still think this will be tricky and we don’t get many results against teams around our level or just above .

If we had a predatory striker I think we would. There is talent all over the team. Even right back is looking incredibly strong. 

Over the 3 games I think it'll be a case of us creating lots of chances and only scoring a few. Which will hopefully be enough to win the games. John McGinn is going to have to be at his best, because I'm not overly optimistic our strikers will do the business.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

If we had a predatory striker I think we would. There is talent all over the team. Even right back is looking incredibly strong. 

Over the 3 games I think it'll be a case of us creating lots of chances and only scoring a few. Which will hopefully be enough to win the games. John McGinn is going to have to be at his best, because I'm not overly optimistic our strikers will do the business.

Shankland?

For me the most important part of the side to get right is the defence especially against Ukraine. We must be set up to be secure at the back. If we go a goal down (for me) its curtains as we will need to take chances and they are masters at hitting on the counter-attack and they are likely to score again. Keep it tight and the longer the game goes without them getting a sniff of a goal the more they will sit back and we can build pressure. Another obvious reason we cannot concede is that we are not a free-scoring side so to expect us to score twice against Ukraine would be stretching it.

I am not confident at all of us getting much from either of these two games unfortunately .
However there should definitely not be anything like the pressure tonight that there was in June, Ukraine should be treated like any other team by fans and players alike. Absolutely no special treatment. 
If if we can  win by even a single goal it should help with confidence massively for Saturday. Ireland could be over confident.

I fear the worst but I will still be getting my arse of the couch and making an effort to get there,  in the hope I am completely wrong. 

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Not sure he's anywhere near good enough unfortunately. 

Not even proven in the top flight up here.

Can't think of any others similar... as usual we have a painful lack of front men and in particular goalscorers! 

Edited by Bzzzz

Hopes for tonight;

Patterson & Hickey wide either as full backs in a 4 at the back (please) or as wing backs. 

McTominay in midfield.

An attacking formation with an organised press.

Changes early if/when it isn’t working.

Fears for tonight;

Greg Taylor at full back 

McTominay in defence.

No subs till 75 mins even though we’re behind and have been for the duration.

Clarke post match telling us how well we played despite losing & we “are only 4 points behind” etc 

11 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Hopes for tonight;

Patterson & Hickey wide either as full backs in a 4 at the back (please) or as wing backs. 

McTominay in midfield.

An attacking formation with an organised press.

Changes early if/when it isn’t working.

Fears for tonight;

Greg Taylor at full back 

McTominay in defence.

No subs till 75 mins even though we’re behind and have been for the duration.

Clarke post match telling us how well we played despite losing & we “are only 4 points behind” etc 

Why does Greg Taylor always get pelters. The boy has been great for Celtic this season so far..

I can't see Steve Clarke wanting to change the system for this one, however he may be forced to due to the lack of natural centre-backs we have available. Assuming everyone in the squad is fit, I'd think we're going to see something like:

Gordon

Hickey - Hendry - McKenna - Tierney

McTominay - Gilmour - McGregor

McGinn

Dykes - Adams

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Not sure why ppl still have hopes for shankland. Hes 27 (i think)and hasnt had a decent season in the top flight. If he scores 25 or more goals this season for hearts then fair enough call him up but i dont see the point unless we are desperate with injuries etc. 

John McGinley was thirty years old when he made his Scotland debut and scored a couple of big goals.

Shankland shouldn't be written off. A couple of injuries to other strikers and he's back in.

16 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

John McGinley was thirty years old when he made his Scotland debut and scored a couple of big goals.

Shankland shouldn't be written off. A couple of injuries to other strikers and he's back in.

John mcginley had at that point a great record in the second tier of english football. If he was around today he would be bought by an epl club for 20m. Shankland has never scored consistently at a decent level of football and is probably worth 3m at most in todays market.

I am not writing him off completely but he needs to be scoring at least 25 goals this season to really warrant a run in the team again. Theres conway and stewart to compete with and dykes and adams will probably be in the squads for a long time, especially adams. 

I hope he makes it back in the squad but he needs to really crack on this season to have a chance.

19 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

John mcginley had at that point a great record in the second tier of english football. If he was around today he would be bought by an epl club for 20m. Shankland has never scored consistently at a decent level of football and is probably worth 3m at most in todays market.

I am not writing him off completely but he needs to be scoring at least 25 goals this season to really warrant a run in the team again. Theres conway and stewart to compete with and dykes and adams will probably be in the squads for a long time, especially adams. 

I hope he makes it back in the squad but he needs to really crack on this season to have a chance.

I think striker is the one position we really can't afford to write anyone off. Most other positions, the odd purple patch will generally not be enough to get a call up. Striker is different because we are so threadbare. 

It was not long ago that not a single one of us would have even contemplated Ross Stewart being involved. The likes of Burke, Nisbet and Shankland will always have a pathway back into the squad. 

4 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Mctominay is in central defence to no great surprise . It’s Clarke’s inflexibility that will ultimately see him out the door

I don't think he is. Tierney, Hendry and McKenna are all starting. 

Edit: Tierney might be LWB. My mistake.

Edited by Tartan blood

4 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I think striker is the one position we really can't afford to write anyone off. Most other positions, the odd purple patch will generally not be enough to get a call up. Striker is different because we are so threadbare. 

It was not long ago that not a single one of us would have even contemplated Ross Stewart being involved. The likes of Burke, Nisbet and Shankland will always have a pathway back into the squad. 

Yeh i havent written him off completely but its not exactly promising. If he has an excellent season then i think he should get back in the squad because as you say we are pretty low on strikers and goalscorers in general. Saying that with guys like stewart, brown and conway around its going to be tough for him to get first team opportunities.

I reckon it’s a 4-5-1 or more precisely a 4-2-3-1

we couldn’t attack up the flanks with 3 at the back without Tierney interlinking on the left with Robertson.

Think the idea is a back 4 with full backs doubling up on the sides with Fraser and Armstrong. 2 sitting midfielders to fill in for the full backs when they’re bombing forward.

well I think that’s the plan, probably totally wrong 😂