Energy price cap - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Energy price cap

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Current view from analysts like goldmans, is 80% rise in October, and then another 80% compounded rise on top of that in January. Inflation will be 22% plus by early new year.

at this rate, energy is almost doubling in proce every three months.

makes a mockery of Ofgem changing the proce cap to three months rather than six so we “benefit when prices start to drop” 😂

The 7.7k average bill is I think based on our average historic usage / central heating bills (however you do it, gas or electric or whatever).

The costs per hour above are not included. They are additional, for anything you plug in on top. 😀

9 minutes ago, thplinth said:

The 7.7k average bill is I think based on our average historic usage / central heating bills (however you do it, gas or electric or whatever).

The costs per hour above are not included. They are additional, for anything you plug in on top. 😀

correct.  If you are a young family having stretched to buy your dream home, you are fucked.  
interest rates up at what, 10-15% to try and curb inflation, coupled with £1k a month for energy. 

on a 300-400k mortgage, you could be looking at 4-5k a month jn bills just out the starting block

In a Scotland that is able to generate more electricity than we can use when there is even a moderate breeze, we should be able to keep energy prices down.  We have oil & gas offshore so we are resource rich whether carbon based or renewable based.  This current crisis should be getting weaponised by the indy movement.  Why do our leaders never take advantage of any situation to promote the benefits of indy?  More often than not, they just meekly follow Westminster's line or maybe make a token effort to mitigate the disastrous hostage situation that they seem very reluctant to get us out of.

The shitshow that is the UK post brexit is an opportunity for the indy movement.  It needs to be seized with both hands.  This is not the time for Sturgeon & Blackford to be going on about feeling British or how much they love being at Westminster. Fucking do something positive or fuck off.  It's an open goal and they're trying to be Chris Iwelum0.

25 minutes ago, Alibi said:

In a Scotland that is able to generate more electricity than we can use when there is even a moderate breeze, we should be able to keep energy prices down.  We have oil & gas offshore so we are resource rich whether carbon based or renewable based.  This current crisis should be getting weaponised by the indy movement.  Why do our leaders never take advantage of any situation to promote the benefits of indy?  More often than not, they just meekly follow Westminster's line or maybe make a token effort to mitigate the disastrous hostage situation that they seem very reluctant to get us out of.

The shitshow that is the UK post brexit is an opportunity for the indy movement.  It needs to be seized with both hands.  This is not the time for Sturgeon & Blackford to be going on about feeling British or how much they love being at Westminster. Fucking do something positive or fuck off.  It's an open goal and they're trying to be Chris Iwelum0.

Totally agree. If we cannot use this current energy disaster to highlight the ludicrous situation that Scotland is in then we will never, ever, convince people of independence . SNP leaders need to get their fingers out their arse and get the message out. 

30 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Totally agree. If we cannot use this current energy disaster to highlight the ludicrous situation that Scotland is in then we will never, ever, convince people of independence . SNP leaders need to get their fingers out their arse and get the message out. 

They really need to be showing folk on the one hand we are generating c.100% renewable in comparison to husehold electricity consumption, exactly why this isn't translating into the shit show unfolding in front of us and how if Scotland was Independent what would be different.  This really should be an open goal if we're serious about going for Ref II  

Gas prices took a tumble yesterday apparently so maybe Christmas is back on and I won't need to barbeque the dog and use the scraps for soup in January.

Wholesale gas prices tumble as Europe prepares to intervene in energy markets | Gas | The Guardian

15 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

They really need to be showing folk on the one hand we are generating c.100% renewable in comparison to husehold electricity consumption, exactly why this isn't translating into the shit show unfolding in front of us and how if Scotland was Independent what would be different.  This really should be an open goal if we're serious about going for Ref II  

Gas prices took a tumble yesterday apparently so maybe Christmas is back on and I won't need to barbeque the dog and use the scraps for soup in January.

Wholesale gas prices tumble as Europe prepares to intervene in energy markets | Gas | The Guardian

This bit is pretty much was i was trying to say yesterday.

"Ofgem is consulting on whether to decouple the wholesale price of electricity from the price of gas.

The RBC Europe analyst John Musk said: “It is clear, in our view, that current electricity prices of €700-800 per megawatt hour are unsustainable and creating windfalls for some generators."

On 8/29/2022 at 1:51 PM, Orraloon said:

The high cost of electricity is a total scam. The only reason it is as high as it is, is because of an outdated accounting link against the cost of gas. 

An independent Scotland should, without doubt in my mind, nationalise the production and distribution of electricity. That would be a fairly straightforward thing to do. There would be no need to do the same with oil and gas. That would be a much more complicated thing to do, and it probably isn't sensible to spend so much money nationalising something which will probably stop being used in 40 to 50 years time. If they want people to stop using oil and gas the answer is simple. Ensure electricity is cheap enough to ensure oil and gas is uncompetitive. That is something any government could do if the political will is there to do it. An independent Scotland would be in a much stronger position to do so because of our access to natural resources. 

The difficult part is how to get that message across to the general public, in an easily understandable manner, before the time comes to make the independence decision?

It's a scam which they have managed to hide from public view for months/years. Already wealthy folk have been profiteering on the back of this for ages and they will continue to do it for years to come. The public in this country don't have the enthusiasm or the will to do anything about it, even if it was to become public knowledge. We are a nation of pussies.

2 hours ago, Alibi said:

At least Chris Iwelumo swung his leg back and had a go.  New SNP are too busy apologising cos someone shouted at a Tory and someone else somehow managed to gob 50 yards onto another one, a feat Sid Vicious would've been proud of.

Their metamorphosis into New Labour is now complete.  Sturgeon is just Tony Blair in drag surrounded by sycophants and careerists while sidelining anyone that might outshine her.  And yet some folk still believe she has a secret plan.  She's a fkin phoney.  I don't buy the "agent of the state tinfoil hat" stuff - I just think she's fkin useless.

Interesting how our glorious lords and masters in England are doing absolutely fuck all about this, letting fowk get bent out of shape about it then they'll do a tiny bit of fiddling, alleviate cost by 5% then claim victory. 

We (sadly) need borrowing powers but we're not allowed, we need more money (our own money) but we're not allowed that either and it'll be like getting bloody out of a stone getting the govt in England to help as "Scotland has it's budget". 

How anyone can be happy with this shits how "UK" bollocks given we live in an energy resource rich country is beyond me.

23 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Snp reject Liz truss’s plan to drill for more oil.  wTF?   Do they not know we have an energy crisis.

We need to stop worrying about fuck8ng climate change and worry more about economic collapse.

Stop worrying about climate change? Spoken like a true right winger there. 

The economy will be fucked regardless in years to come if we do that.

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Stop worrying about climate change? Spoken like a true right winger there. 

The economy will be fucked regardless in years to come if we do that.

yes, I am right wing.  We have bigger things to worry about right now like surviving the next few years.  

we should have been building nuclear power stations years ago, and a shitload of them, but people got uptight about nuclear waste.  Cheapest whilst also reliable and consistent.  

we can’t switch from gas until we can bring the cost of electricity down to a quarter of what it was previously.  Electric boilers powered by electricity that has been generated by nuclear power stations is the future.  

As we haven’t built these, we need to be fracking and extracting fossil fuels like there is no tomorrow.

23 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Snp reject Liz truss’s plan to drill for more oil.  wTF?   Do they not know we have an energy crisis.

We need to stop worrying about fuck8ng climate change and worry more about economic collapse.

I reckon this is Sturgeon, having painted herself into a corner, refusing to even consider changing tack.  Stopping exploration and development of our oil resources won't make any difference to climate change as the oil will just be imported from elsewhere.  A pragmatist would say let's produce our own oil and get the benefits of it.  Sturgeon isn't the brightest in my opinion and her grasp of the wider picture is poor.  Her virtue signalling is costing Scotland money.  I want her to succeed, to lead the country to independence, but she's just utterly hopeless, lacks any drive, and she surrounds herself with low grade ministers while some of the best minds in the SNP are sidelined, ignored, or even persecuted.  She really has caused a lot of damage to the SNP with her actions, albeit most of the electorate don't generally look that closely at what's going on.

Edited by Alibi

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

I reckon this is Sturgeon, having painted herself into a corner, refusing to even consider changing tack.  Stopping exploration and development of our oil resources won't make any difference to climate change as the oil will just be imported from elsewhere.  A pragmatist would say let's produce our own oil and get the benefits of it.  Sturgeon isn't the brightest in my opinion and her grasp of the wider picture is poor.  Her virtue signalling is costing Scotland money.  I want her to succeed, to lead the country to independence, but she's just utterly hopeless, lacks any drive, and she surrounds herself with low grade ministers while some of the best minds in the SNP are sidelined, ignored, or even persecuted.  She really has caused a lot of damage to the SNP with her actions, albeit most of the electorate don't generally look that closely at what's going on.

I also think this is what happens when the greens hold the balance of power.

7 hours ago, Malcolm said:

yes, I am right wing.  We have bigger things to worry about right now like surviving the next few years.  

we should have been building nuclear power stations years ago, and a shitload of them, but people got uptight about nuclear waste.  Cheapest whilst also reliable and consistent.  

we can’t switch from gas until we can bring the cost of electricity down to a quarter of what it was previously.  Electric boilers powered by electricity that has been generated by nuclear power stations is the future.  

As we haven’t built these, we need to be fracking and extracting fossil fuels like there is no tomorrow.

Do you realise that nuclear is still the most expensive method of producing electricity? 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Do you realise that nuclear is still the most expensive method of producing electricity? 

I remember donkeys ago we were told that nuclear power would make electric so cheap it wouldn't be worthwhile posting out bills to folk.  Didn't exactly work out that way.

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

no it’s not, it’s comparable with renewables but more importantly it’s consistent unlike wind.

Pish again

https://www.pv-magazine.com/2020/09/24/nuclear-power-is-now-the-most-expensive-form-of-generation-except-for-gas-peaking-plants/