Energy price cap - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Energy price cap

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Latest prediction is that it will top £6K a year for an average house by early next year.  So if you were paying £1k a year in 2019, you will be looking at £6k, if you were paying £2k you are looking at £12k.

You were one of the few people who asked for this.

There is a real risk that Russia will close the pipe altogether.  That will be catastrophic, as Norway and France will then hold on to the gas and electricity they have and will not export to us.  At that point the price will absolutely rocket and we will have to look at blackouts.  

The reason other countries are in a better place is they have storage and have already provisioned.  We don’t.  We are fvcked.

6 hours ago, Malcolm said:

There is a real risk that Russia will close the pipe altogether.  That will be catastrophic, as Norway and France will then hold on to the gas and electricity they have and will not export to us.  At that point the price will absolutely rocket and we will have to look at blackouts.  

The reason other countries are in a better place is they have storage and have already provisioned.  We don’t.  We are fvcked.

Do we Then we need to switch off the power we export.( Probably not ally)

Scotland is a net exporter of energy.

We need to say this more often

8 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Has anyone told Sid yet?

only oldies like me will get that joke.  Everyone was happy when they got their cheap shares.

3 hours ago, stocky said:

Do we Then we need to switch off the power we export.( Probably not ally)

Scotland is a net exporter of energy.

We need to say this more often

I would think that only applies to electricity and not gas?

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

only oldies like me will get that joke.  Everyone was happy when they got their cheap shares.

I would think that only applies to electricity and not gas?

But everyone else (the majority of the country) was not.

Money makes more money and sod everyone else 'cos I'm alright Jack (or Union Jack ?).

16 minutes ago, fringo said:

But everyone else (the majority of the country) was not.

Money makes more money and sod everyone else 'cos I'm alright Jack (or Union Jack ?).

Union Jack hasn’t anything to do with it.  My grandparents who were working class got in on it.  They also did right to buy.  One voted Tory, the other labour, but they embraced share ownership and owning their own home, having come from very little.

Long term the only answer is to drive down the cost of electricity, to move away from gas. This means a fuck load of nuclear power. As a country we have been negligent in not investing in this technology as it’s by far the cheapest and most stable power source.  Gas boilers will need to be replaced by electric boilers… the cost of running a 40kwh electric boiler at the moment would be horrific.

On 8/21/2022 at 9:32 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

The Tories strike again.

Meanwhile, in France, their energy bills rises are capped at 4% due to the fact their major energy supplier is state-owned.

This is an astonishing contrast (with the >200% in the UK).    4% !!!

(Sorry, I duplicated this info on the IndyRef thread, not realising you'd already mentioned it).

6 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

This is an astonishing contrast (with the >200% in the UK).    4% !!!

(Sorry, I duplicated this info on the IndyRef thread, not realising you'd already mentioned it).

The French government control their own energy supplies though (and a load of the UK's too. Thanks Maggie).

Have the riots started yet?   I will give it until it gets cold in November.

this is a political disaster for the tories.  Ofgem laying it at the door of the government.  Labour playing a blinder by saying they would freeze it now.

boris is an utter cock and totally hopeless.  I suspect Truss will have to do some kind of freeze or be destroyed at the next election.

Any views on the electricity transmission / grid charges issue, whereby Scottish generators pay much more to supply to the UK grid while some places in the south are actually paid or subsidised to do so?

Scotland faces energy transmission charges of £7.36 per mega watt hour- 16 times the European average, according to analysis from the Renewable Infrastructure Development Group (Photo: RIDG).

Some say it's a fair way to reflect distributional costs, others say it's a swindle, exploiting Scotland unfairly. 

A related issue is household savings. For too many families there's absolutely nothing to fall back on, nothing 'saved for a rainy day'. Combination of low interest rates, little incentive to save, changed societal attitudes, normalisation of living in credit and depressed wages due to austerity.

5 hours ago, Malcolm said:

latest prediction for April cap is £6823.  For an average household.

@TDYER63, still feeling confident in your bold prediction that we will not hit the £10k mark?

I am on a paddle board in Loch Lomond and its 20 degrees. I am no panicking just yet ! 

23 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

A related issue is household savings. For too many families there's absolutely nothing to fall back on, nothing 'saved for a rainy day'. Combination of low interest rates, little incentive to save, changed societal attitudes, normalisation of living in credit and depressed wages due to austerity.

i think a lot of people saved during the pandemic.  There was a whole load of pent up demand.

i think Liz’s idea to reduce vat to 15% is a good one as it will encourage spending and keep thr economy moving