Movies 2022 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent - Nicolas Cage plays Nic Cage. Unable to get acting work he accepts a personal appearance gig for a fan who turns out to be the biggest Nic Cage fan in the world (and who is also a bit of a wrong ‘un) and various hijinks ensue. Cage also has an alter ego/imaginary friend who takes the form of Nic Cage from his Wild at Heart years.  It sounds, and is, utterly bonkers, is totally meta and could only be a Nic Cage film. One of the best films I’ve seen in years! 

The Black Phone - set in 70s Detroit (I think) in a town gripped by fear of a notorious child kidnapper, played by Ethan Hawke. Really well done thriller/horror with great performance by Hawke and the young boy in the lead role. 

Elvis - first 40 minutes bombard you with so much it’s hard to keep up. The remaining 2 hours are an absolute triumph and in particular the 68 Comeback Special and Vegas scenes are fantastic. Austin Butler, despite looking nothing like him, absolutely embodies Elvis and must be a shoe in for the Oscar. 

On 8/19/2022 at 8:20 AM, Fairbairn said:

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent - Nicolas Cage plays Nic Cage. Unable to get acting work he accepts a personal appearance gig for a fan who turns out to be the biggest Nic Cage fan in the world (and who is also a bit of a wrong ‘un) and various hijinks ensue. Cage also has an alter ego/imaginary friend who takes the form of Nic Cage from his Wild at Heart years.  It sounds, and is, utterly bonkers, is totally meta and could only be a Nic Cage film. One of the best films I’ve seen in years! 

The Black Phone - set in 70s Detroit (I think) in a town gripped by fear of a notorious child kidnapper, played by Ethan Hawke. Really well done thriller/horror with great performance by Hawke and the young boy in the lead role. 

Elvis - first 40 minutes bombard you with so much it’s hard to keep up. The remaining 2 hours are an absolute triumph and in particular the 68 Comeback Special and Vegas scenes are fantastic. Austin Butler, despite looking nothing like him, absolutely embodies Elvis and must be a shoe in for the Oscar. 

Glad for the recommendation about Elvis, not seen it yet but my wife is suggesting we go and see it.  Must be better than her previous recommendation of the Crawdads!

2 hours ago, McDange said:

Prey. New Predator film set in 1719. Easily the best since the original. 

Not watched yet but I guy I work with is doubting an Indigenous person could take down a predator. Same guy that always questions how Zombies react when watching the walking dead, he obviously thinks they’re documentaries 

Edited by dan cake

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed the comeback special is hairs on the neck stuff

Nope - loads of hype but a big meh from Dan

I wish i had been the guy in the restaurant that Ethan Hawke cracked up at for looking at Uma Thurman's tits when she got them out to breastfeed her wean

It was still the time of ashtrays in restaurants and he would have got one right on his neb

I quite like the look of See How They Run but i mostly like anything Saoirse Ronan is in and the best bits are probably in the trailer

I thought Elvis was superb.  Has a real Baz Luhrmann Moulin Rouge feel to it.  I wasn't aware what a nasty piece of work Parker was - maybe not surprising he ended up chauffeuring Lady Penelope around in that big pink car :)

The actor who played Elvis deserves a trophy for that performance. 160 minutes long but engrossing.

Edited by Alibi

• 1 month later...

just saw "all quiet on the western front" remake ; normally i dont get the point of remaking classic films , but in this instance went to see it as a full colour remake in german subtitles ; with "modern"(saving private ryan like) gore and realism = a few scenes had predictable outcomes - ie saw them coming - but overall very much enjoyed it - it made 1917 look like a disney film in comparison

would def rate in my top 3 of ww1/western front films - beneath hill 60 & birdsong (bbc mini series) being other 2

8 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

just saw "all quiet on the western front" remake ; normally i dont get the point of remaking classic films , but in this instance went to see it as a full colour remake in german subtitles ; with "modern"(saving private ryan like) gore and realism = a few scenes had predictable outcomes - ie saw them coming - but overall very much enjoyed it - it made 1917 look like a disney film in comparison

would def rate in my top 3 of ww1/western front films - beneath hill 60 & birdsong (bbc mini series) being other 2

Strictly speaking, it's not remaking the '31 film, it's the third adaption of Remarque's original novel.

The Big Parade, Westfront 1918, Le Grande Illusion, Le Croix des Bois are all magnificent and harrowing films about WWI made during the inter war years by people who had actually seen it in person.

45 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Strictly speaking, it's not remaking the '31 film, it's the third adaption of Remarque's original novel.

The Big Parade, Westfront 1918, Le Grande Illusion, Le Croix des Bois are all magnificent and harrowing films about WWI made during the inter war years by people who had actually seen it in person.

thanks for that - i had to google that to find out there was 1979 tv movie - i had no idea

i saw the 1930 version / vague memories in early 70s watching with my dad - the bit that stuck out was the pointed helmets - years later when i saw it as an adult the memory clicked ...... on a studio tour to Universal in 90s am pretty sure they said some of it was filmed there on lot ; near the cowboy towns

ive also just looked at those other titles you mentioned ; its a favourite subject of mine , but honestly i had no idea of these films existing ; imagine as foreign language films classed as bit more 'niche'

obviously the kirk douglas / paths of glory is very well known ; but more of a court room drama ?

ive always been hugely let down by the films made on WW! trench life as a lot of them (english speaking ones) seem very poor ; the trench , passchendaele to name just two