Series (NOT) worth watching. - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series (NOT) worth watching.

A bit like the series worth watching thread but you get the drill,

I'll start with "Banshee", somebody in the work put me onto this but it really is bad, Dreadful acting , garbage cgi, this one has the lot. I gave up halfway through episode one.

Its a bit more difficult as most shit shows are instantly forgettable, plus I usually give up on them rather than watch them through. The one I can remember being shit was Vikings, the acting was awful , only lasted one episode. 
Designated Survivor was pretty shit too but somehow I saw it through and grew to enjoy it more. 

On 8/7/2022 at 10:05 AM, TDYER63 said:

Its a bit more difficult as most shit shows are instantly forgettable, plus I usually give up on them rather than watch them through. The one I can remember being shit was Vikings, the acting was awful , only lasted one episode. 
Designated Survivor was pretty shit too but somehow I saw it through and grew to enjoy it more. 

I thought Vikings was excellent and really got into it but once they started fannying about with what channels would show it i gave up

Kathryn Winnick was a big draw

Talking of Banshees i saw the trailer recently for The Banshees of Inisherin which teams up Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell again

It looks really good

On 8/7/2022 at 10:05 AM, TDYER63 said:

Designated Survivor had a good premise and started off well however by the end of season 1 if I’d saw Kiefer Sutherland give one more jumper bedecked rousing speech that resulted in some world leader having a moral epiphany I’d have taken a cheese grater to my face to save myself the torment! 

On a similar note Killing Eve started off excellently but disappeared so far up it’s own arse by the end it was practically unwatchable. 

18 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I thought Vikings was excellent and really got into it but once they started fannying about with what channels would show it i gave up

Kathryn Winnick was a big draw

Talking of Banshees i saw the trailer recently for The Banshees of Inisherin which teams up Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell again

It looks really good

I expected to enjoy Vikings as it was really popular but I honestly thought the first episode was rubbish , maybe didnt give it long enough. I watched it immediately after Game of Thrones which I suppose was always going to be tough to follow.

18 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Designated Survivor had a good premise and started off well however by the end of season 1 if I’d saw Kiefer Sutherland give one more jumper bedecked rousing speech that resulted in some world leader having a moral epiphany I’d have taken a cheese grater to my face to save myself the torment! 

On a similar note Killing Eve started off excellently but disappeared so far up it’s own arse by the end it was practically unwatchable. 

My husband and I actually used to laugh at how ridiculous some of the storylines were in Designated Survivor and kept saying ‘ right, this is utter shite  we are not watching anymore’ . Then we would watch another episode at the weekend when we had a drink and before you know it we are sucked in and zombified into enjoying it . 

Watched the first series of Killing Eve but didnt like the two main female characters , the ninja type one i particular, so never bothered watching anymore. That would definitely be in my ‘series not worth watching ‘ list.  However  , like Vikings, it was very popular, so probably more just  a matter of personal taste than being  a shit programme. 

On 8/9/2022 at 2:37 PM, ThistleWhistle said:

Game of Thrones is about a week of my life I won't get back. First half was decent but the baddies always won and second half was just chucked together with the most bland talentless character suddenly just calling the shots.

Noooooooo! 😫 The ending was pretty shite admittedly but I loved the programme in general.
I am in holiday in Croatia at the moment and went on a GOT tour in Dubrovnik. Its a bit more nerdy than I would normally do but was interesting to see where so much of it was shot. 

kind of weird as well how some top rated series actually tank after so many seasons

homeland was great ; not sure when went downhill  - (spoiler alert ) end of Finch maybe ?

house of cards ; final season

& Billions ; which i'd touted in the "good series to watch" thread ; becomes unwatchable - well reported on reviews - season 4 i think

i couldn't handle killing eve at all

5 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

kind of weird as well how some top rated series actually tank after so many seasons

homeland was great ; not sure when went downhill  - (spoiler alert ) end of Finch maybe ?

house of cards ; final season

& Billions ; which i'd touted in the "good series to watch" thread ; becomes unwatchable - well reported on reviews - season 4 i think

i couldn't handle killing eve at all

Homeland started off brilliantly but for became one note “Carrie’s off her meds again” very quickly and Clare Danes over acting was excruciating. Not sure I lasted beyond the first season. And the last season of House of Cards was just boring. Without Frank for Claire to spar against it was just pointless. 

On 8/8/2022 at 5:18 PM, Fairbairn said:

With you 100% there. The first series was brilliant, the second okay but the third and fourth as dull as fuck. It was a relief when it ended.

On 8/9/2022 at 8:57 PM, Toepoke said:

Keeping up the Banshee theme I wouldn't recommend sitting through all of Pistol. Having done just that I think John Lydon had a point.

That's a pity, I've read Steve Jones's autobiography (on which it's based) and was quite keen to see the TV series. 

Having read the book I can understand why Lydon was throwing his toys oot the pram; this "they never consulted me" thing has to be a smokescreen! 😂

On 8/28/2022 at 4:19 PM, scotlad said:

With you 100% there. The first series was brilliant, the second okay but the third and fourth as dull as fuck. It was a relief when it ended.

That's a pity, I've read Steve Jones's autobiography (on which it's based) and was quite keen to see the TV series. 

Having read the book I can understand why Lydon was throwing his toys oot the pram; this "they never consulted me" thing has to be a smokescreen! 😂

It's a great piece of tv entertainment, it's not a documentary, get it watched

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me or should House of Dragons be in this thread? 
I feel it is pretty shit. Boring characters, CGI is too obvious, poor storyline. I am sticking with it hoping something happens but so far it like watching a run of the mill medieval Robin Hood type show. 

3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Is it just me or should House of Dragons be in this thread? 
I feel it is pretty shit. Boring characters, CGI is too obvious, poor storyline. I am sticking with it hoping something happens but so far it like watching a run of the mill medieval Robin Hood type show. 

Matt Smith is good in it, the rest of it is a bit meh.

The Undeclared War that was on C4 is an exercise in tedium.  A really good premise (cyber war between Russia and GB) and a cracking cast (Mark Rylance, Simon Pegg, Adrian Lester) but it's so unrelentingly dull!  It had snippets of interesting plot points it would then just ignore or pay lip service to later on and had an annoyingly weird narrative technique of trying to show you the main character problems solving as if she was in an AI game.  Not to mention the lead character was one of the most dreary, unlikeable, po faced characters I've seen in anything for a long time.

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

Matt Smith is good in it, the rest of it is a bit meh.

The Undeclared War that was on C4 is an exercise in tedium.  A really good premise (cyber war between Russia and GB) and a cracking cast (Mark Rylance, Simon Pegg, Adrian Lester) but it's so unrelentingly dull!  It had snippets of interesting plot points it would then just ignore or pay lip service to later on and had an annoyingly weird narrative technique of trying to show you the main character problems solving as if she was in an AI game.  Not to mention the lead character was one of the most dreary, unlikeable, po faced characters I've seen in anything for a long time.

‘Meh’ is a good description. I am not even that keen on Matt Smith. He is not bad enough to be a baddie, like Joffrey or Cersie, but not particularly pleasant either. A bit ‘meh’ . They are all like that. Descriptionless ( is that a word ?🤔) It needs a believable baddie or a Tyrion. Dragons can only take it so far. 

Infact one of the highlights for me was the ‘sombrero  music playing’  subtitles, which at least gave me a laugh. 

I was wondering if my TV is making it worse. I quite enjoyed the first episode, then I lost Now Tv and had to reset my TV back to factory settings and its back to that bloody soap opera type picture again, everything seems a bit perfect and fake. 

Thanks for the heads up on The Undeclared War. Going to try Snowfall when finished Breaking Bad for the second time. Enjoying as much as the first time as I have forgotten so much of it.