Commonwealth Games - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Commonwealth Games

Hertsscot

Tried but just cant

I realise it's in England but it is just overload

Final straw was Jill Douglas at the cycling with her 30 pieces of silver jangling in her pockets

6 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Appreciate that there's not a lot of interest looking at the number of replies. But Eilidh McColgan tonight. Absolutely brilliant, so chuffed for her!

What a gutsy run. Tremendous. 

40 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

What a gutsy run. Tremendous. 

Really was. It can't be easy growing up in the shadow of a legend. She's had so many disappointments and struggles with illness and injury. Tonight was rich reward for a lot of work and determination over many years. Really liked it that BBC managed to interview both Eilish and Liz. 

I can remember nipping out from work to The Tower Bar in 1991 to watch Liz win the World Championships in Tokyo ! 

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Appreciate that there's not a lot of interest looking at the number of replies. But Eilidh McColgan tonight. Absolutely brilliant, so chuffed for her!

I watched it, it was absolutely amazing. Its the only part I've watched of the whole games tho

8 hours ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Greetin' at McColgan's win and also when the BBC so far forgot themselves as to show her medal ceremony and anthem.

Those of you not watching are missing some horrendous BBC bias in the coverage.

And that's exactly why I haven't watched. The BBC don't even hide it anymore because they see it as normal

46 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

To be fair they did show her medal ceremony with the anthem later.

They also cut the live feed of her race to go back and show highlights of the 100m from earlier.  I'm pretty certain if there was an English athlete with as strong a chance of winning that wouldn't have happened.  I actually can't fathom why they would show the start of the race and then cut away after a couple of laps to show something that had already happened that they could literally show at any time.

1 minute ago, Fairbairn said:

They also cut the live feed of her race to go back and show highlights of the 100m from earlier.  I'm pretty certain if there was an English athlete with as strong a chance of winning that wouldn't have happened.  I actually can't fathom why they would show the start of the race and then cut away after a couple of laps to show something that had already happened that they could literally show at any time.

They were the semis and the final was to be run shortly after the end of 10K and 800m Heptathlon races so they had to slot them in somewhere as they were screening Duncan Scott winning gold whilst those 100m semis were on.

I am certainly not happy with aspects of the coverage but in this instance I can see why they did what they did. In any case the 10K race you were never going to see a breakaway or major happening in the first few laps. 

29 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

They were the semis and the final was to be run shortly after the end of 10K and 800m Heptathlon races so they had to slot them in somewhere as they were screening Duncan Scott winning gold whilst those 100m semis were on.

I am certainly not happy with aspects of the coverage but in this instance I can see why they did what they did. In any case the 10K race you were never going to see a breakaway or major happening in the first few laps. 

McColgan's race finished at 2030.  The Heptathlon finale went off at 2105 with the sprint finals at 2130 and 2145.  There were plenty of more appropriate times to fit in the 100m highlights, especially given the combined races are about 30 seconds combined.

34 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

McColgan's race finished at 2030.  The Heptathlon finale went off at 2105 with the sprint finals at 2130 and 2145.  There were plenty of more appropriate times to fit in the 100m highlights, especially given the combined races are about 30 seconds combined.

The race finish yes but many minutes post-race was spent on lap of honour, interviews and post-race analysis and then build up to Heptathlon 800m race. If they had cut out all of that they would have been criticised too. The part of the race they dived out of was similar to the marathon where they dipped out of many times. What must be remembered is this was at a busy time with lots going on live at the same time so think of the poor sods who wanted to watch 100m semis live but couldn't due to swimming coverage.

22 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I've watched quite a bit in the evenings including last night's brilliant Eilish and others.

All in all I think those who represented Scotland did us proud, particularly on the track. Delighted for McColgan and Muir who got deserved golds for their perseverance and hardwork. If they'd included curling we might have picked up a few more!

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

All in all I think those who represented Scotland did us proud, particularly on the track. Delighted for McColgan and Muir who got deserved golds for their perseverance and hardwork. If they'd included curling we might have picked up a few more!

4x400m women just added to the total as England disqualifed for lane infringement. Always feel sorry for athletes when that happens as sometimes it's marginal but delighted that they took bronze. Couldn't have been too far away from national record.

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

4x400m women just added to the total as England disqualifed for lane infringement. Always feel sorry for athletes when that happens as sometimes it's marginal but delighted that they took bronze. Couldn't have been too far away from national record.

I watched that.. great race, thought Canada were gonna get gold.but the English lassie held on 

Shame it had to go to disqualification

Had no idea Scotland had finished forth . It was the BBC ,only interested in England winning.

No mention on Scotland at all in the commentary..

So well done the Scottish lassies 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👍