2022/23 breakout star - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2022/23 breakout star

Diamond Scot

Whilst watching the Motherwell game last night I was thinking that they could really do with a McFadden type player to come on and change things up. Somebody to play with no fear.

Are there any players of that ilk that people think might break through this season. Im not just talking about good young players who might get the odd game. Looking for somebody to burst onto the scene who will most likely become a major Scotland player in next 2 to 3 years.

The one that sprung to mind was Lowry at Rangers as I believe he has the talent but I dont think he will get the game time at Ibrox to become a regular starter as there are around 5 players ahead of him for the attacking mid role.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

Whilst watching the Motherwell game last night I was thinking that they could really do with a McFadden type player to come on and change things up. Somebody to play with no fear.

Are there any players of that ilk that people think might break through this season. Im not just talking about good young players who might get the odd game. Looking for somebody to burst onto the scene who will most likely become a major Scotland player in next 2 to 3 years.

The one that sprung to mind was Lowry at Rangers as I believe he has the talent but I dont think he will get the game time at Ibrox to become a regular starter as there are around 5 players ahead of him for the attacking mid role.

Good question, and it's always exciting to see what some unknown (and known) prospects will flourish. 

Last year we had Calvin Ramsay and Tony Ralston appear. Lowry to a lesser extent. The year before it was Patterson, Turnbull and Hickey. Among others.

There is always at least 1 or 2 new Scots appearing per year, though the volume does seem to be increasing lately.

If Mikey Johnstone finally goes out on loan (and stays fit), I think he could end up being the next Ryan Christie, in terms of his career trajectory.

Edited by Tartan blood

37 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Good question, and it's always exciting to see what some unknown (and known) prospects will flourish. 

Last year we had Calvin Ramsay and Tony Ralston appear. Lowry to a lesser extent. The year before it was Patterson, Turnbull and Hickey. Among others.

There is always at least 1 or 2 new Scots appearing per year, though the volume does seem to be increasing lately.

If Mikey Johnstone finally goes out on loan (and stays fit), I think he could end up being the next Ryan Christie, in terms of his career trajectory.

Cant see Ralston getting a regular game for either Celtic or Scotland. Think he came as a surprise for most Celtic fans but as the season went on became a welcome backup at right back.

Turnbulls a funny one as alot of people have alot of good things to say about him but ive probably watched him about 20 times in full matches, not highlights and he has only ever been average. Especially his set pieces which are one of the things ppl rave about.

Id be astonished if Johnstone got anywhere near the level of a Scotland starter.

42 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Cant see Ralston getting a regular game for either Celtic or Scotland. Think he came as a surprise for most Celtic fans but as the season went on became a welcome backup at right back.

Turnbulls a funny one as alot of people have alot of good things to say about him but ive probably watched him about 20 times in full matches, not highlights and he has only ever been average. Especially his set pieces which are one of the things ppl rave about.

Id be astonished if Johnstone got anywhere near the level of a Scotland starter.

"A welcome backup" is probably the best way to describe Ralston. For both Celtic and Scotland. I'd love it if he took it to the next level. But, as it stands, I'm happy with his backup status.

I think there is a helluva lot more to come from Turnbull. I wouldn't be writing him off just yet. I'd imagine his bar for Scotland will be supersub for Scotland for the next couple of years. After that, who knows. 

Johnstone is like GMS. Undoubted talent but other factors may determine his fate. Aside from unlucky injuries, he badly needs game time to sort out his decision making. He could be the next GMS (unfulfilled potential) or the next Maloney (fan favourite).

Closest to next breakthroughs I would imagine would be Elliot Anderson if he still commits to us, Lowry at Rangers will hopefully further progress, Fiorini has been the most consistent U21s performer and the step up to the English Champ. Will be interesting step up for him, Harrison Ashby has had an impressive pre season( be interesting at RB over who does what Ramsey, Patterson and Ralston), and as an outsider Jordan Holsgrove playing in the Portuguese top flight might be interesting to see how he gets on. 

On 7/29/2022 at 8:38 PM, syecosse said:

Closest to next breakthroughs I would imagine would be Elliot Anderson if he still commits to us, Lowry at Rangers will hopefully further progress, Fiorini has been the most consistent U21s performer and the step up to the English Champ. Will be interesting step up for him, Harrison Ashby has had an impressive pre season( be interesting at RB over who does what Ramsey, Patterson and Ralston), and as an outsider Jordan Holsgrove playing in the Portuguese top flight might be interesting to see how he gets on.

Your saving me posting here, spot on hopes i reckon though i really hope a centre back will come to the fore, Leon King the most likely i guess👌😊

Edited by theabsentee