Broadband providers - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Broadband providers

I'm currently with virgin media paying £40 a month for broadband only, don't have a landline and don't have a TV licence so no TV package.

Virgin want to start charging me from August £50 a month.

Personally I think this is extortionate.

I know if I phone them up and threaten to leave they'll say okay £45 but for broadband only I still think this is expensive.

Who are you with, what are you paying and are they good?

I'm not techy minded at all so please don't quote upload and download speeds because quite frankly I don't know what that means 

I'm with Plusnet Chaff.   £19/month for broadband (excluding my phone part).   That's for an 18mo contract; 12mo is a few £ more.   https://www.plus.net/broadband/   (With no contract it's substantially more.)

As with other providers you may be able to test on their website if they can connect to you and what speeds are available to you.

Without going into the speeds, "Unlimited Broadband" is their slowest package, and that's all that's available to me as I only have a landline*.   They do have faster Fibre packages, and cheaper than you've been quoted (up to £28/mo after a one-off £10 activation fee).

*[Some day I hope someone will run fibre to the green box at the end of the road which should double speeds to me.   HD TV through my broadband is marginal for now.]

i'm paying about £25 a month for BT broadband.  When my 2 year contract ran out they wanted to remove the discount and charge £58 but i pointed out to them that Vodafone were offering the same service for £22 a month and they relented.

It's getting quite complicated now because I work from home and have a voip phone set up with BT and they were trying to get me to take a business contract with full fibre to the house and speeds of 100MB+ allegedly.  However they wanted extra to keep my home landline (only ever used for incoming calls) and they also slipped into the small print that it was a 5 year contract which I wouldn't consider.

Always negotiate and have some figures ready to quote at them.  Vodafone maybe a decent starting benchmark.

In my experience, where I am, virgin is easily the best ….. fast proper fibre, very rarely down.

knocks spots of the others I’ve tried, talk talk, sky, Vodafone.

I do pay more for it…… £48 for bband phone line and basic tv….. but like you say chaff, if it get much more expensive will sack it off and accept less speed and reliability.

I was sky for years but was pissed off paying for a landline I didn’t use although it was required for broadband, so switched to bt (no landline) £31 a month. Don’t download anything but firestick hasn’t buffered once in 6 months, piss easy to set up as well 

Edited by dan cake

15 hours ago, ger intae them said:

In my experience, where I am, virgin is easily the best ….. fast proper fibre, very rarely down.

knocks spots of the others I’ve tried, talk talk, sky, Vodafone.

I do pay more for it…… £48 for bband phone line and basic tv….. but like you say chaff, if it get much more expensive will sack it off and accept less speed and reliability.

I'm going to be £50 just for broadband.

I've got until the end of August, need to get comparing 

On 7/27/2022 at 8:47 PM, chaff said:

I'm currently with virgin media paying £40 a month for broadband only, don't have a landline and don't have a TV licence so no TV package.

Virgin want to start charging me from August £50 a month.

Personally I think this is extortionate.

I know if I phone them up and threaten to leave they'll say okay £45 but for broadband only I still think this is expensive.

Who are you with, what are you paying and are they good?

I'm not techy minded at all so please don't quote upload and download speeds because quite frankly I don't know what that means 

Have you tried a comparison website like Compare the Market ? That might take some of the work out of it for you. 

22 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Have you tried a comparison website like Compare the Market ? That might take some of the work out of it for you. 

It'll be my first port of call 

• 2 weeks later...