Wordle - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Does anyone do this ? Any boffins out there that can improve on an average of 4 tries and 94% win ratio ? Nothing says ‘average dude’ like 4 tries does. I try to remember every day but dont always have time. 

30215138-27E9-4CDD-90E1-F22D07D3BBD8.thumb.jpeg.42775e284f0e38d582e7b752abbd761b.jpeg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I’ve got a morning routine where I’ll do Worlde, Framed & Heardle - helps kick start my brain! I lost all my Wordle stats a while back and had to start from scratch but currently at 91% and average 5. 

Do you have a system? I use the same starting word every day and take time to try and only enter words from letters  that haven’t been eliminated. It takes me time to do it but it seems to take me fewer goes than my husband who is impatient and sticks in words even using letters that have been eliminated, just to try and find other letters in the correct place. He is quicker than me but takes more tries. 

6 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Kinda got fed up with it, last time I got beat I gave up...

Screenshot_20220724-173034_Chrome.jpg

😂 I only ever do the NY times one as its only once a day, else I would get fed up too.
I also get mad when I cant get it. Most of the time i dont get the word its because its a word I dont even know , that is particularly infuriating. My husband has a much better vocabulary than me and if he has got and I still havent after  4 goes  I say to him ‘ is it a word I wont know?. He says ‘ how the hell do I know if its a word you dont know?’ I say ‘ well, you know the kind of words I use , have i ever used it ‘ ? 😁 

I do hate to give up. 

2 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

I was doing it from about the 200's. Still do it now and then. 

The best tip I have is to start with a 3 vowel word like unite.

Yeah, my word is ‘arise’ . I get particularly flummoxed when i have used all the vowels and still cant get it. 

2 minutes ago, phart said:

I was using audio as a starter

I use adieu for similar reasons. If that throws up nothing then story gets all the vowels out and also gives you r, s & t.

I tend to generally think that getting it in three moves or fewer is just down to good guessing. 

25 minutes ago, aaid said:

I use adieu for similar reasons. If that throws up nothing then story gets all the vowels out and also gives you r, s & t.

I tend to generally think that getting it in three moves or fewer is just down to good guessing. 

I tend to think 2 or less is good guessing, after that I think more skill is required. 
At the other end, by the time I get to the 6th try and I maybe have 3 letters in the correct place yet still cannot get it, i just stick in any old letters in case its a word i don’t know. It has worked on a couple of occasions but there is no skill required at all. 

Infact I  am just so happy at getting it I dont even check to see what the word means so it's hardly educating me 🙄 It’s usually words related to science I have never heard of. 

I got it in 2 today..

I played poker last night for the first time ( I know, sheltered life) so I used that word this morning.

I use a  different first word every time.

Highest run 38, current run 26.

91% ATM.

As long as my 3+4 is higher than my 5+6 I'm happy.

I've had 5 2's

I'm like your husband, I even put the same ( wrong) word in twice...

Got as 6 that day.

I have recently started globle and me and my ten year old have a daily competition. 

He beats me most days. Which makes me happy 😁

Been playing it every day since Xmas, usually when I go to bed, like right now.

I'm currently on 97, my previous streak ended on 95. A tad nervous about breaking 100 😬

Pie & Bovril were doing a league but that stopped a few months back, I think the guy couldn't be bothered constantly updating his spreadsheet. 

Edited by Toepoke

11 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

I think there was a no vowel word recently, nymph nearly got me a while back.

I remember that one. I think I got to the 6th chance and had ‘ ymph’  so tried lymph 😫

The really annoying ones are when you get 4 letters in the correct place really early but still dont get it as there are so many choices. For example , getting ‘ound’ as the last 4 letters after your second go. But you could have round, pound, wound, found, mound,bound , sound. I am sure that particular scenario happened to me and I got it on the last go. 

10 hours ago, stocky said:

I got it in 2 today..

I played poker last night for the first time ( I know, sheltered life) so I used that word this morning.

I use a  different first word every time.

Highest run 38, current run 26.

91% ATM.

As long as my 3+4 is higher than my 5+6 I'm happy.

I've had 5 2's

I'm like your husband, I even put the same ( wrong) word in twice...

Got as 6 that day.

I have recently started globle and me and my ten year old have a daily competition. 

He beats me most days. Which makes me happy 😁

The 3+4 and 5+6 is a good way to look at it.

I sometimes think walking away for a couple of minutes helps when you are struggling . Its amazing how a break can make your mind clearer.

I tend to do it on the train on the way home from work and sometimes I forget until I am 5-10 mins to the journey then I am under pressure to finish it !

8 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Been playing it every day since Xmas, usually when I go to bed, like right now.

I'm currently on 97, my previous streak ended on 95. A tad nervous about breaking 100 😬

Pie & Bovril were doing a league but that stopped a few months back, I think the guy couldn't be bothered constantly updating his spreadsheet. 

That is a great run 😁 You are brave doing it before bed, my head would be bursting if I couldnt get it . 

16 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Do you have a system? I use the same starting word every day and take time to try and only enter words from letters  that haven’t been eliminated. It takes me time to do it but it seems to take me fewer goes than my husband who is impatient and sticks in words even using letters that have been eliminated, just to try and find other letters in the correct place. He is quicker than me but takes more tries. 

My first try usually relates to something I'm doing at the time, for example when I was on holiday I was using BEACH etc.  A few weeks ago I was on a train down south for work and the first word was TRAIN so that worked well!

I tried to try to find 4 words that used 20 different letters to start with but you can also eliminate some letters without using them - for example if there's no U, there is unlikely to be a Q.

I used to start with "Atone" to get 3 vowels in but a few weeks ago that was the actual word they wanted so got it in one.  Now changed to "Stone".

Usually get it in 4 but often 5 or 6.  Only failed a couple of times.  The worst ones are where you need the final letter and there are three possibilities but you only have 2 lines left - it's just luck by that point.

The other tricky bit is when a letter appears twice in a word. Or they use an American word that isn't in common use here.

3 hours ago, Alibi said:

The worst ones are where you need the final letter and there are three possibilities but you only have 2 lines left - it's just luck by that point.

I play it on easy mode so you can play a "safety" on turn 5 to eliminate letters. Had to do that today actually. Anything to keep the streak going 😁

The couple of times X has appeared have caused mayhem. Also there's been hardly any plurals so don't waste a shot with an S at the end. Loads of solutions ending in E though.

6 hours ago, Alibi said:

I tried to try to find 4 words that used 20 different letters to start with but you can also eliminate some letters without using them - for example if there's no U, there is unlikely to be a Q.

I used to start with "Atone" to get 3 vowels in but a few weeks ago that was the actual word they wanted so got it in one.  Now changed to "Stone".

Usually get it in 4 but often 5 or 6.  Only failed a couple of times.  The worst ones are where you need the final letter and there are three possibilities but you only have 2 lines left - it's just luck by that point.

The other tricky bit is when a letter appears twice in a word. Or they use an American word that isn't in common use here.

I was almost caught out today by one of those issues .  
Wee hint for anyone who hasn’t done it yet…

33 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

I've started on Nerdle & Heardle now. 

I’m all shit all or sugar with Heardle. I either get it in 1 or 2 seconds or not at all. Currently sitting at 61/95 with 45 of them in 1 second!! 

43 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I’m all shit all or sugar with Heardle. I either get it in 1 or 2 seconds or not at all. Currently sitting at 61/95 with 45 of them in 1 second!! 

I got the scissor sisters one in 1 second the other day, that was my first go but the one today I'd never heard of it.

It took nearly half an hour for my first go at Nerdle today.

3 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

I've started on Nerdle & Heardle now. 

Can't play Heardle at the mo as I'm in Turkey and Spotify have restricted it. 

I have a bit of a routine of doing Wordle at bedtime, then Worldle and Yeardle at morning tea break for a bit of a geography and history challenge. 

I've tried a few of the other similar puzzles but there's not enough time to do them all every day.