Europe 2022/23 - Page 24 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 minute ago, slasher said:

Craig Gordon is a great keeper but he’s shite with the ball at his feet. He went through a phase of losing bad goals at his near post in big games. I’ve no regrets over letting him go his new lease of life notwithstanding.

Hart has been very good for us despite your critique but he’s not having a good season and needs to sort it out pronto!

Fair enough but it was a mad decision without a solid signing.

There's a reason Pep got rid of Hart and a reason nobody else has really taken him on too. He's just not as good as the English hype machine made him out to be. 

Tonight was inexcusable, absolute shocker from him.

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Kirk said:

Fair enough but it was a mad decision without a solid signing.

There's a reason Pep got rid of Hart and a reason nobody else has really taken him on too. He's just not as good as the English hype machine made him out to be. 

Tonight was inexcusable, absolute shocker from him.

To be fair he was offered a contract but he didn’t think it was enough and probably got the vibe he wouldn’t be guaranteed no1.

Regards Hart, there have been a few on here who have been desperate for him to have a massive fuck up as they said he’d be a disaster from day one. 15 months in he’s given them their opportunity 👍

9 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Joe Hart 😂😂😂😂

He still got concussion from Saturday 😂😂😂😂

It looked like it last night the way he gave the ball straight out to the leipzig player for the 2nd goal 😂

57 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Some of them are only 15 I think, anyhoo they beat Molde on pens on front of over 3000 at the leith San Siro. Next up Nantes

15D7600C-B649-47EF-96DF-C4A870CA3163.jpeg

I seen that when I was looking at results, lots of games were the u-19’s of CL teams, so Hibs being in surprised me. 

Edited by dandydunn

Hearts were really poor last night. Neilson got tactics all wrong. Played 541 but with 2 out and out wide men so basically only had 2 guys in middle of the pitch with a striker who cant hold up the ball.

There entire midfield was basically able to play up front. Hearts would have been better playing 451 or even 532 with McKay or the other wide player playing off Shankland.

Have watched alot of Hearts this season. Shankland for me isnt that good. He will score goals when playing in a team that creates chances but Simms was a much better player for them last year. McKay is a standout most games and could be played in the 2 behind the striker for Scotland. My only concern would be his workrate seems to be much lower than the likes of McGinn, Christie and Armstrong

Re: Shankland, Rooney was the same for us. Not sure teams at our level can afford anymore than a 'striker who only scores' (think Mivoski, Ramirez are also similar). I'd take that over a striker with other qualities but who rarely ever scores, especially when there are plenty creative players supporting. 

24 minutes ago, mr mojo risin said:

Re: Shankland, Rooney was the same for us. Not sure teams at our level can afford anymore than a 'striker who only scores' (think Mivoski, Ramirez are also similar). I'd take that over a striker with other qualities but who rarely ever scores, especially when there are plenty creative players supporting. 

I think Shankland is a good signing for Hearts. There aim should be to finish 3rd each year and get into group stages of Europe. Do that a good few years in a row with some good recruitment and they can push on.

They are better buying players like Shankland and Forrest than having slightly better players on loan imo as it means each year having to start again. Should be looking to give guys from England who havent made the break through at EPL / championship a platform to get regular games and then sell on for a profit. Like Dortmund on a much smaller scale.

Combine that with snapping up the best consistent performers from other Scots prem sides like Shankland and Forrest and they can become a more stable club / force.

What a great game to watch, I was really enjoying it till they scored, everything after that was inevitable. A good number of our players look comfortable at this level and we’ve created a shed load of chances over the four games and that is encouraging. We can’t afford to lose players like McGregor and Jota for a game like this though and that is the challenge for the manager to improve the quality of depth.

One thing I will say though is he has to realise that for all Maeda’s qualities in pressing/defending he is technically hopeless at this level. I hope we continue to have a go in the last couple of matches but if we don’t take our chances nothing will change result wise. 

On 10/6/2022 at 6:47 AM, dandydunn said:

Any Hibees able to confirm why the u-19’s are playing in the UEFA youth league?

To answer this, it's because they won the Scottish U18 league. Rangers and Celtic are in it because their first teams are in the Champions League group stage.

There's two sections to the Youth League: a 'Champions League' path, which mirrors the group stage of the Champions League, and a 'domestic champions' path (DC path forthwith), which is for the domestic youth champions from the top thirty-two leagues based on the UEFA coefficients (if the youth champions are in the CL path, that country doesn't have a representative in that path and their spot gets passed to the youth champions from the next highest ranked country).

Being in the CL path is better for youth development, as you play a guaranteed six matches compared to two, and its relatively easier to progress in. In the CL path, the group winners go into the last sixteen, the second placed side plays the winners of the DC path second round in a play-off for a place in the last sixteen.

So the format is (number of matches in brackets):

• CL path 1st (6) -> Last 16 (2) -> QF (2) -> SF (2) -> Final (1)
  • CL path 2nd (6) -> Play-off (1) -> Last 16 (2) -> QF (2) -> SF (2) -> Final (1)
  • DC path R1 (2) -> DC path R2 (2) -> Play-off (1) -> Last 16 (2) -> QF (2) -> SF (2) -> Final (1)

31 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

To answer this, it's because they won the Scottish U18 league. Rangers and Celtic are in it because their first teams are in the Champions League group stage.

There's two sections to the Youth League: a 'Champions League' path, which mirrors the group stage of the Champions League, and a 'domestic champions' path (DC path forthwith), which is for the domestic youth champions from the top thirty-two leagues based on the UEFA coefficients (if the youth champions are in the CL path, that country doesn't have a representative in that path and their spot gets passed to the youth champions from the next highest ranked country).

Being in the CL path is better for youth development, as you play a guaranteed six matches compared to two, and its relatively easier to progress in. In the CL path, the group winners go into the last sixteen, the second placed side plays the winners of the DC path second round in a play-off for a place in the last sixteen.

So the format is (number of matches in brackets):

• CL path 1st (6) -> Last 16 (2) -> QF (2) -> SF (2) -> Final (1)
  • CL path 2nd (6) -> Play-off (1) -> Last 16 (2) -> QF (2) -> SF (2) -> Final (1)
  • DC path R1 (2) -> DC path R2 (2) -> Play-off (1) -> Last 16 (2) -> QF (2) -> SF (2) -> Final (1)

Thanks for that 👍🏽

Should be a good game at Ibrox tonight.  We've surely got to be better than we were at Anfield (and Amsterdam) and if we can play like we did in the first half against Napoli we can maybe cause them some problems.  Liverpool are obviously a good team but they're not in form and have a few key players missing tonight so can definitely be got at.  I've a feeling it'll end in a Desmond but at this stage I'd just be happy with a goal!!

53 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Should be a good game at Ibrox tonight.  We've surely got to be better than we were at Anfield (and Amsterdam) and if we can play like we did in the first half against Napoli we can maybe cause them some problems.  Liverpool are obviously a good team but they're not in form and have a few key players missing tonight so can definitely be got at.  I've a feeling it'll end in a Desmond but at this stage I'd just be happy with a goal!!

From what I've seen of Rangers in the Champions League this season (I've missed a few of the games due to club matches clashing), I feel they've lacked a level of intensity they had in the Europa League last season. This has made if far to easy for their opponents to keep the ball and limits Rangers' attacking threat due to the slower build up play.

I know there's been a fair number of injuries, especially defensively, and a few transfers both ways in the summer, but the intensity from last season shouldn't be affected too much by that. I feel it's the performances which have been the biggest disappointment in this campaign; in the away matches especially, Rangers have been so far off the pace. Obviously, expecting good results from this group was too much of an ask, even more so after losing Bassey and Aribo from last season's Europa run. 

With Liverpool's injuries and poor form, there's an opportunity for Rangers tonight (as well as against Ajax in the final group game); they've also got Man City at the weekend so won't want to risk anyone whose got a knock. Apparently they've got about seven definitely out for tonight's match.

I feel there's no chance of getting into the Europa League now especially as the head-to-head rule realistically means finishing with a point more than Ajax to achieve this; on the plus side that means there should be no pressure on Rangers now.

28 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

From what I've seen of Rangers in the Champions League this season (I've missed a few of the games due to club matches clashing), I feel they've lacked a level of intensity they had in the Europa League last season. This has made if far to easy for their opponents to keep the ball and limits Rangers' attacking threat due to the slower build up play.

I know there's been a fair number of injuries, especially defensively, and a few transfers both ways in the summer, but the intensity from last season shouldn't be affected too much by that. I feel it's the performances which have been the biggest disappointment in this campaign; in the away matches especially, Rangers have been so far off the pace. Obviously, expecting good results from this group was too much of an ask, even more so after losing Bassey and Aribo from last season's Europa run. 

With Liverpool's injuries and poor form, there's an opportunity for Rangers tonight (as well as against Ajax in the final group game); they've also got Man City at the weekend so won't want to risk anyone whose got a knock. Apparently they've got about seven definitely out for tonight's match.

I feel there's no chance of getting into the Europa League now especially as the head-to-head rule realistically means finishing with a point more than Ajax to achieve this; on the plus side that means there should be no pressure on Rangers now.

If we get a point tonight and beat Ajax at home (not beyond the realms of possibility) then we'll finish on 4 points (we'll get cuffed in Naples).  It's also not the wildest suggestion to think that if we do manage to beat Ajax they may not pick up any more points meaning they'd finish on 3 and we'd be 3rd.  However given we've not scored a goal in 3 games I'm probably getting ahead of myself and at will just be happy for us to get some points on the board (has any team ever finished with no points and no goals?!). 

As great as last years run was I don't think it would be the worst thing for us to have no European football after Christmas especially if Celtic can somehow squeak their way in to the Europa as it would be interesting to see the impact on their fitness continuing to play 2 games a week as it already looks like it's starting to take its toll.

I'm putting a couple of snarlers on Rangers tonight

I think this is their best chance of a victory in the group

The mix has to be more of a Scottish football style than the European possession tippy tappy though

11 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Hope you put a couple of snarlers on him for first scorer 😉

I like a reverse jinx

Rangers to win and both teams to score 9/1

Not confident but has a chance