Europe 2022/23 - Page 8 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

37 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

No, because Celtic and rangers are clearly in a league of their own.  They are bottom epl standard.  The rest are league 1/league 2 level.

That's probably a realistic assessment of things.

If Rangers join Celtic in the Champions League I think either of them managing to drop down to the Europa League would be a success. 

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

This is really bad I always feel when the likes of Aberdeen , Hibs , hearts , United okay they have not been in europe for a long time , get a doing in europe shines the spotlight on our game more.

these teams have bigger supports of course and our biggest best of the rest. 

more so than likes of Motherwell and st Johnstone as they have no tradition of europe 

Despite what Sky etc. think the strength of a league isn't 1st & 2nd, it's 4th, 5th, 6th. Other than Hearts, who were fairly decent last season, the rest were dire!

Well the Dutch league has just started whereas Sligo Rovers were quite a way into their season so it's nowt to do with that.  Time to face facts: our league is just sh*te.

Utd were really unfortunate the way the 2nd goal dropped perfectly into the guy's path, but after that their goalie started doing his best Stewart Kennedy at Wembley impersonation.  Disgraceful result and performance.

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Always good to see Jack Ross get an absolute doing. 

An imposter in the Martinez/Pochettino mould. He'll still be getting billed as an "up and coming young manager" by his pals in the media a decade from now!

4 minutes ago, scotlad said:

An imposter in the Martinez/Pochettino mould. He'll still be getting billed as an "up and coming young manager" by his pals in the media a decade from now!

Absolutely agree, the guys a fraud, he has a reputation based on a great season as St Mirren, but that was a long time ago. The media love in for him is nauseating, and he is also a smug arrogant twat.

You might want to be aware of what’s really behind tonight’s result;

Alkmar supposed squad value - 56.77 million

Alkmar expenditure 22/23 - 6.3 million.

Dundee utd supposed squad value - 9.9 million

Dundee utd expenditure 22/23 - 320k

Fking pointless…

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

That's probably a realistic assessment of things.

If Rangers join Celtic in the Champions League I think either of them managing to drop down to the Europa League would be a success. 

I agree.

Using ClubElo to predict who'll reach the group stages and producing example groups (with the pots being determined by UEFA coefficient; didn't bother adjusting for country clashes) shows how stark the difference in quality between the Champions League and Europa League groups is.

Rangers would be in Pot 4 in the Champions League, unless Benfica fail to knockout Dynamo Kyiv, but would be easily Pot 1 in the Europa League. Celtic will be Pot 4 in the Champions League.

In the Champions League, Rangers end up with Porto, Chelsea and Salzburg, while in the Europa League it's Rennes, Midtjylland and Fenerbahçe (with much easier groups available); Celtic had Ajax, Tottenham and Leverkusen. With a good run, perhaps Rangers could finish third in that group, but I couldn't see Celtic finish third in their example group. Even the weakest group according to the ClubElo ratings would be Frankfurt, Juventus and Shakhtar.

While there are major financial benefits being in the Champions League, progression is best achieved by being in the Europa League.

The problem is the financial distribution between clubs - the rich keep getting richer, inflating transfer fees and wages for everyone else and reducing the competitiveness of all but the biggest clubs. I think the book Soccernomics suggests wage expenditure is the biggest single (measurable) factor determining club success. The wages of the Old Firm will be comparable to that of top English Championship clubs, while the rest of our league is comparable to English League One at best.

The Europa League, and now Conference League, will have much more even wages between clubs than the Champions League - especially once discounting the outliers.

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Absolutely agree, the guys a fraud, he has a reputation based on a great season as St Mirren, but that was a long time ago. The media love in for him is nauseating, and he is also a smug arrogant twat.

His only actual achievement to date is winning the Scottish second tier, a feat even Alan Archibald - a coach with the tactical nous of a potato and who's currently playing second fiddle to someone who used to shite in people's shoes for laugh - managed to achieve (sort of).

2 hours ago, JECK said:

You might want to be aware of what’s really behind tonight’s result;

Alkmar supposed squad value - 56.77 million

Alkmar expenditure 22/23 - 6.3 million.

Dundee utd supposed squad value - 9.9 million

Dundee utd expenditure 22/23 - 320k

Fking pointless…

You have to ask where Dutch clubs are getting so much extra cash from? it's not that much bigger a country. 

Edited by Toepoke

8 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Sarcasm? or a really desperate attempt to cover things up.

The desperate attempt to cover things up was Steven Fletcher instantly checking his thatched man bun after falling over.

My point is the SPFL players have no idea how to handle opponents they haven’t played before. Not an excuse for that thrashing. You’ll see I predicted as much in numerous previous posts. The non-Old Firm results in Europe are a disgrace every season. 

11 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

The desperate attempt to cover things up was Steven Fletcher instantly checking his thatched man bun after falling over.

My point is the SPFL players have no idea how to handle opponents they haven’t played before. Not an excuse for that thrashing. You’ll see I predicted as much in numerous previous posts. The non-Old Firm results in Europe are a disgrace every season. 

Utter pish 

That was a freak spell from 21 minutes where Utd conceded 5. They were actually I'm the game till 21 minutes

AZ were fully expected to brush utd aside. They're a good Dutch side, they maybe weren't expected to win 7 nil but they were expected to win. The gulf in finances is vast between the two teams.

I won't jump on the bandwagon slated all Scottish non OF club results, there will always be the odd shocker like Motherwell this season but for a non OF club to get to the groups is an extremely difficult task.

Scottish football overall is run terribly. With Doncaster at the helm, the plan seems to be copy what England do in terms of league names and make sure the old firm are on TV every week. That will never end well. Scottish football also sells its rights to sky who give better coverage to the WSL

I feel a bit sorry for the United fans. Imagine excitedly getting ready for your first European trip in years, getting pished in the Dam blasting out the songs, making up new ones, getting your club kit on, heading to Alkmaar, marching to the stadium giving it yee-ha full of bravado, having great banter with your mates and the locals………only to be confronted with that utter shit show.

Gut wrenching! It’s the hope that kills you in the end 🙈

11 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

They seem to hold United solely responsible for kicking them out the SPL in 2012.

Anyone who knows anything about Scottish football know that Rangers have a bigger than average share of numpties in their support. No doubt some of them will be so sad they add a sectarian twist by referring to Dundee Hibernian as well. Not all of us feel the same. The success of any Scottish team in Europe reflects well on the league as a whole and we desperately need to have a more competitive league.

34 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

They seem to hold United solely responsible for kicking them out the SPL in 2012.

I thought that was the dons? I thought we were the last to vote and the last nail in the coffin. I am disappointed if its United they hate most

7 hours ago, Toepoke said:

You have to ask where Dutch clubs are getting so much extra cash from? it's not that much bigger a country. 

Had a look on their big 3's transfer record over the last 3 years and they've spent over £30m on players from their respecive diddy clubs.  AZ got £10m for a left back and then spent £3m of it off of another dutch club.  De Jong went from William II for £1m plus 10% sell-on so got £7.5m when he went to Barca.  

Rangers and Celtic colectively have spent £3m and got Turnbull, Siegrest Soutar and Wright and haven't brought through a decent scottish talent in yonks although hopefully Rangers look like they might have a few.  

53 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

It won't happen. The amount of people knocking about Motherwell wearing Old Firm tops is ridiculous (for Motherwell read most towns in Scotland).

Yeah Dundee is just about big enough to support two clubs but nowhere near big enough to carry four.  

29 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Had a look on their big 3's transfer record over the last 3 years and they've spent over £30m on players from their respecive diddy clubs.  AZ got £10m for a left back and then spent £3m of it off of another dutch club.  De Jong went from William II for £1m plus 10% sell-on so got £7.5m when he went to Barca.  

Rangers and Celtic colectively have spent £3m and got Turnbull, Siegrest Soutar and Wright and haven't brought through a decent scottish talent in yonks although hopefully Rangers look like they might have a few.  

The OF probably don’t use the Scottish market enough but then again they tend to have to pay a bit more than the true value. 
Why Dundee Utd bought that keeper is a bit of a mystery. I’d have thought someone like Robbie McCrorie would have done a better job (even if a loan). 

Right across the board, including the OF, there is not enough faith in Scottish players, which means the clubs aren’t functioning properly.

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Celtic have been mince, too, to be fair. 

There’s been some fantastic results, but you just don’t want to see them. 

Liverpool 1-1 Hearts

Rijeka 0-3 Aberdeen 

Groningen 0-2 Aberdeen

Didn't St J give Galatarasay a game last season?

Just because you’re ignorant to them, doesn’t mean they didn’t happen. 

8 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

There’s been some fantastic results, but you just don’t want to see them. 

Liverpool 1-1 Hearts

Rijeka 0-3 Aberdeen 

Groningen 0-2 Aberdeen

Didn't St J give Galatarasay a game last season?

Just because you’re ignorant to them, doesn’t mean they didn’t happen. 

This season there will be three scottish teams in Group stage European football too.