Europe 2022/23 - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

ach well, maybe everyone could have their ‘non league’ team and then get behind either rangers or Celtic in the big league!

Sounds like the perfect solution for you

Edited by vanderark14

SIigo more comfortable on the ball. Its embarrassing. Motherwell players taking 2 or 3 touches to do the most basic things.

No invention or anything, can see their next pass coming miles ahead of time.

Need a set piece goal or a mistake to get back into this as things stand.

Motherwell were shocking but so have many of our sides been in Europe over the years. Not good enough to say that its too early in the season.

Its concerning how technically inferior our sides continually appear to be even against teams from really small / inferior countries.

Standard of pitches contributing to longer ball football a factor?

Playing through the winter when build up play isnt rewarded?

On 7/21/2022 at 10:57 PM, aaid said:

The League of Ireland runs from February to October, so their teams are about 2/3rds of the way through their season and are motoring along.  Scottish clubs on the other hand are generally at the end of their pre-season right now.   I’d say that that’s the main reason for why these results tend to happen.  I don’t think it’s much to do with mentality or professionalism.  

I’d fully expect Motherwell to be a lot better in the return leg. 

So did I.

That expectation went well.....................

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Motherwell being embarrassed by an Irish league team.  No wonder the English laugh at us.  Tinpot.

Why is what they think so important?  Scottish football should be judged by its own standards, or lack of them, not what 'the English' think of it.

53 minutes ago, sjd1972 said:

Why is what they think so important?  Scottish football should be judged by its own standards, or lack of them, not what 'the English' think of it.

Absolutely agree. Couldn’t really care less however the brutal reality is the vast majority of the league would probably be forever dotting about English leagues 1&2, that’s their standard. That’s the standard rangers and Celtic are up against every week, its completely pointless. 

8 hours ago, sjd1972 said:

when I was young we considered England as our rivals, where we could go toe to toe with them both internationally and domestically with our top club sides. The Texaco,cup for example.  

what this demonstrates in stark reality is how far we have fallen against this standard.  Outside rangers and Celtic our teams are Irish and Welsh league level.  

it’s very sad to see our once great game decline to such a poor level.  Thirty odd years ago, I got in to a disagreement with frank Worthington about the standard of our game, but he was right.

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

when I was young we considered England as our rivals, where we could go toe to toe with them both internationally and domestically with our top club sides. The Texaco,cup for example.  

what this demonstrates in stark reality is how far we have fallen against this standard.  Outside rangers and Celtic our teams are Irish and Welsh league level.  

it’s very sad to see our once great game decline to such a poor level.  Thirty odd years ago, I got in to a disagreement with frank Worthington about the standard of our game, but he was right.

We have gone toe to toe with them internationally, we've drawn with them in our last two meetings.

Domestically, what do you expect? The EPL has been flooded with money. Comparing our leagues is totally pointless. Scottish clubs flirted with European success but it was nothing compared to how English clubs have had periods of domination. We were hardly ever at their level 

This fascination with what they think of us is weird. I couldn't give a flying fuck what any of them think and I live with them. When it comes to football I largely ignore what they say because what they say comes from a position of extreme ignorance