Europe 2022/23 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it happens every season, why was anyone surprised. The standard Celtic and rangers are up against domestically is quite frankly appalling every season. How can you have domestic leagues in Europe operating like this, there has to be change.

24 minutes ago, Redz said:

As long as Celtic and Rangers are okay, fuck the rest. 

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

It's that simple

As much as I agree with elements of your post, results like this have little to do with the Old Firm and more to do with the mentality / professionalism of the so called bigger Scottish clubs.

Motherwell have zero excuse for getting beaten tonight. Non old firm clubs need to learn to have abit about them. Its like they just accept poor standards.

Any professional football club should have players that are stupidly fit and well prepared. These are 2 things that dont require anything other than standards being set. 

Id love to see a non Old Firm club in Scotland have their players in full days, working on fitness, tactics, movement etc. Being slightly better than the next club in the system appears to be the accepted Scottish way.

33 minutes ago, Redz said:

As long as Celtic and Rangers are okay, fuck the rest. 

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

It's that simple

What round do Aberdeen come in at?

1 minute ago, Diamond Scot said:

As much as I agree with elements of your post, results like this have little to do with the Old Firm and more to do with the mentality / professionalism of the so called bigger Scottish clubs.

Motherwell have zero excuse for getting beaten tonight. Non old firm clubs need to learn to have abit about them. Its like they just accept poor standards.

Any professional football club should have players that are stupidly fit and well prepared. These are 2 things that dont require anything other than standards being set. 

Id love to see a non Old Firm club in Scotland have their players in full days, working on fitness, tactics, movement etc. Being slightly better than the next club in the system appears to be the accepted Scottish way.

Spot on 👍

Every year we get the same shite. It’s all the fault of Celtic/Rangers, distribution of wealth bla bla bla. None of it ever explains the constant failures against clubs with lower budgets playing in poorer leagues. There is now an acceptance of a complete lack of professional standards at these clubs at this time of year. It’s just easier just to blame the Glasgow clubs for it all. You only need to look at the state they Hibby cunts are in already.

Diddy club mentalities on display 👍

4 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

The League of Ireland runs from February to October, so their teams are about 2/3rds of the way through their season and are motoring along.  Scottish clubs on the other hand are generally at the end of their pre-season right now.   I’d say that that’s the main reason for why these results tend to happen.  I don’t think it’s much to do with mentality or professionalism.  

I’d fully expect Motherwell to be a lot better in the return leg. 

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

The League of Ireland runs from February to October, so their teams are about 2/3rds of the way through their season and are motoring along.  Scottish clubs on the other hand are generally at the end of their pre-season right now.   I’d say that that’s the main reason for why these results tend to happen.  I don’t think it’s much to do with mentality or professionalism.  

I knew someone would make that excuse for them, problem is it doesn’t wash when it’s the big two (rightly so) and it doesn’t excuse Motherwell tonight.

7 minutes ago, slasher said:

Spot on 👍

Every year we get the same shite. It’s all the fault of Celtic/Rangers, distribution of wealth bla bla bla. None of it ever explains the constant failures against clubs with lower budgets playing in poorer leagues. There is now an acceptance of a complete lack of professional standards at these clubs at this time of year. It’s just easier just to blame the Glasgow clubs for it all. You only need to look at the state they Hibby cunts are in already.

Rangers and Celtic have had their fair share of embarrassing results at this time as well over recent years. 

8 minutes ago, aaid said:

From what I can see Motherwell have played 2 pre season friendlys. The 1st against a 2nd division Austrian side and the 2nd against Partick Thistle. In what way is that proper preperation for a European tie.

1 minute ago, Diamond Scot said:

From what I can see Motherwell have played 2 pre season friendlys. The 1st against a 2nd division Austrian side and the 2nd against Partick Thistle. In what way is that proper preperation for a European tie.

It probably isn’t good enough but there is a balance to be struck that you don’t want to start preseason so early that it costs you later on in the season.  Players do need to have some time off.  I don’t think that European competitions should start this early anyway but that’s another one from UEFA trying to cram as many games as they can into the calendar as is possible. 

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

Rangers and Celtic have had their fair share of embarrassing results at this time as well over recent years. 

Correct however in my opinion the difference being that the fans are up in arms about them. Every club can have a bad result. My issue is the general acceptance at non old firm clubs. 

Fans quite rightly point out the huge financial gaps between Scottish Prem clubs and the Old Firm as a reason that they cant compete but rarely highlight simialr gaps between Scottish prem clubs and others when they get beat. Just look at some of the results in the league cup.

As I said, every player at a full time club should be mega fit and tactically drilled. If that means extending working hours beyond lunch then thats what clubs should do.

Sligo are more then half way into their season and Motherwell are basically still doing conditioning work. Match fitness makes a hell of a difference. Still a poor result but not surprising. I think Motherwell will turn it around in the second leg. 

Edited by EddardStark

9 hours ago, slasher said:

Nope

For the Tim's and Huns dig = Fairer revenue split / change in voting system 

Always get what you've always got point = The above + Summer Fitba / TV exposure / Increased revenues

'We' do not try hard enough in general, and yes there are deliberate blockers in the way, however this happens all the time and 'we' sit back and do fuck all about it

5 hours ago, EddardStark said:

Still a poor result but not surprising. I think Motherwell will turn it around in the second leg. 

Not surprising as 3 wins in 22 tells you all you need to know about a hopeless manager. I'll say it again, how the f*#k did we qualify for Europe? If we don't sack this guy soon it's relegation.