Season 22/23 - Page 69 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Proud of the team and fans today. Gave it their all and one stupid mistake may well have cost us, but we had chances to put the game to bed before that happened and weren’t clinical enough to take them. 

Lump in my throat at the northern lights at the end. 

I wish I still had this level of passion for the Aberdeen but I was a bit meh after that yesterday. Instead of questioning how ridiculous the league and cup comps are, the media will be fawning over an OF final. Yesterday was inevitable IMO, I am not convinced AFC would have won even if Stewart didn't do a Stewart. 

The game in Scotland is no longer on life support, its fucking dead. only one or two Scottish internationals play for the top sides now, the other ten are their to make up the numbers again and its almost 40 years since anyone outside the bigot sisters won the league. 

We have two clubs who scream conspiracies at each other despite winning everything every year, two clubs who celebrate wildly when they beat teams with a tenth of their resources. 

To top it off the other clubs have either been duped into believing it or they are just so thick they believe they need the OF to survive. Celtic and Rangers know they need each other to dominate but the other clubs don't need to feed their egos by continuing to give them what they want

No doubt someone, probably @Squirrelhumper will come riding in to remind me Aberdeen voted with Celtic over a decade ago which he will think some how nullifies my point above but it doesn't, Aberdeen didn't speak for me and my opinions are never based on the team I support. Aberdeen voted the wrong way IMO because the ex chairman is a balloon knot but I don't see any of the rest speaking out and calling for change since then. Every single club is happy with the status quo and its beyond my understand why they are happy with the state of the game  in Scotland. 

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I wish I still had this level of passion for the Aberdeen but I was a bit meh after that yesterday. Instead of questioning how ridiculous the league and cup comps are, the media will be fawning over an OF final. Yesterday was inevitable IMO, I am not convinced AFC would have won even if Stewart didn't do a Stewart. 

The game in Scotland is no longer on life support, its fucking dead. only one or two Scottish internationals play for the top sides now, the other ten are their to make up the numbers again and its almost 40 years since anyone outside the bigot sisters won the league. 

We have two clubs who scream conspiracies at each other despite winning everything every year, two clubs who celebrate wildly when they beat teams with a tenth of their resources. 

To top it off the other clubs have either been duped into believing it or they are just so thick they believe they need the OF to survive. Celtic and Rangers know they need each other to dominate but the other clubs don't need to feed their egos by continuing to give them what they want

No doubt someone, probably @Squirrelhumper will come riding in to remind me Aberdeen voted with Celtic over a decade ago which he will think some how nullifies my point above but it doesn't, Aberdeen didn't speak for me and my opinions are never based on the team I support. Aberdeen voted the wrong way IMO because the ex chairman is a balloon knot but I don't see any of the rest speaking out and calling for change since then. Every single club is happy with the status quo and its beyond my understand why they are happy with the state of the game  in Scotland. 

I know you don't care what I say.  But that is a good post.  I just try and stay positive about Scottish football in the hope that it will change VA.  I hate the OF dominating as well.  The only thing I would pick you up on there is that there are not two OF clubs banging on about conspiracy theories.  Just one.

Just now, SamP said:

I know you don't care what I say.  But that is a good post.  I just try and stay positive about Scottish football in the hope that it will change VA.  I hate the OF dominating as well.  The only thing I would pick you up on there is that there are not two OF clubs banging on about conspiracy theories.  Just one.

at the moment there is one but just wait till Rangers get a bad decision against them, it will be statements galore. 

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

at the moment there is one but just wait till Rangers get a bad decision against them, it will be statements galore. 

I would have loved to have seen an Aberdeen, Killie final.  But a bloody pipe dream as usual.

10 hours ago, Debian said:

Kent is behind him, and manages to right hook him to the left of his face?

I'd love to see this video you have.  The floor is yours. 

Screenshot_20230115_214052_Twitter.jpg

More contact there than Rougvie on the fat cheat Johnston in the league cup final years back 🇵🇱🇵🇱🇵🇱

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Its normally me who points out how Aberdeen voted to be fair. 

Really good post and I agree with pretty much all of it.

What I dont understand about scottish football is the lack of consistent pecking order below the old firm. Posted at the start of the season how it would be good to see Hearts (or any big team) consistently finish 3rd and get auto qualification into group stages. I think we are starting to see the benefit of that with Hearts signings. Able to spend a little money, able to snap up other clubs out of contracts and bring in decent loan players. Hopefully they will finish 3rd again.

But looking below that, how are clubs the size of Aberdeen, Hibs, Dundee Utd with the budgets that they have consistently below clubs like Livi, Motherwell, Ross County etc. (Maybe being slightly harsh on Aberdeen)

Point im making is that the OF monoply isnt a good thing but if 2 or 3 clubs like Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs could be getting european football every year, especially group stage for 3rd place then they would be able to close the gap points wise. 

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

What I dont understand about scottish football is the lack of consistent pecking order below the old firm. Posted at the start of the season how it would be good to see Hearts (or any big team) consistently finish 3rd and get auto qualification into group stages. I think we are starting to see the benefit of that with Hearts signings. Able to spend a little money, able to snap up other clubs out of contracts and bring in decent loan players. Hopefully they will finish 3rd again.

But looking below that, how are clubs the size of Aberdeen, Hibs, Dundee Utd with the budgets that they have consistently below clubs like Livi, Motherwell, Ross County etc. (Maybe being slightly harsh on Aberdeen)

Point im making is that the OF monoply isnt a good thing but if 2 or 3 clubs like Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs could be getting european football every year, especially group stage for 3rd place then they would be able to close the gap points wise. 

But have you looked at the budgets, expenditure, value of players of hearts, hibs and Aberdeen compared to the other clubs? The reality is there is very little difference. The jump between these so called 3rd biggest clubs to the old firm is monumental.

4 minutes ago, JECK said:

But have you looked at the budgets, expenditure, value of players of hearts, hibs and Aberdeen compared to the other clubs? The reality is there is very little difference. The jump between these so called 3rd biggest clubs to the old firm is monumental.

I appreciate that the budget gap between Aberdeen / Hibs / Hearts and the OF is massive however the gap between these teams and Livi / Ross County will also be large. 

Large enough that clubs properly run shouldnt be finishing outside the top 6. 

Hearts look like they are starting to do things properly. Picking up players like Clarke and Forrest. Bringing in proven scot prem players like Shankland and supplementing with good loan signings and experience like Snodgrass.

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Thanks

You and I had this debate at the start of this season regarding the pecking order below the OF. The only explnation I have has already been posted by Jeck. The gap between Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen and the rest is not as big as the gap between the top two and Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen. with a decent manager and shrewd signings a team can finish 3rd.....................Killie is one from memory with Steve Clarke at the helm. 

Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs have gone through periods where they are totally mis-managed which causes them to finish well below where they should be- see Aberdeen last season

if a team were to consolidate 3rd they could close the gap on the OF but they wouldn't close it by much, certainly nowhere near enough to give them a scare or challenge for a league title. Rangers are already 14 points ahead of Hearts this season at just over the half way point.

we had a brief rest from total domination when Rangers died and then worked their way up the league. 8 different clubs tasted glory in the cups with some brilliant drama along the way. Hibs in the scottish cup, ICT and St Johnstone winning their first scottish cup, Aberdeen's first trophy in almost 20 years, Ross Count with their first ever trophy too. Rangers return and its completely fucked again.

51 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Thanks

You and I had this debate at the start of this season regarding the pecking order below the OF. The only explnation I have has already been posted by Jeck. The gap between Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen and the rest is not as big as the gap between the top two and Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen. with a decent manager and shrewd signings a team can finish 3rd.....................Killie is one from memory with Steve Clarke at the helm. 

Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs have gone through periods where they are totally mis-managed which causes them to finish well below where they should be- see Aberdeen last season

if a team were to consolidate 3rd they could close the gap on the OF but they wouldn't close it by much, certainly nowhere near enough to give them a scare or challenge for a league title. Rangers are already 14 points ahead of Hearts this season at just over the half way point.

we had a brief rest from total domination when Rangers died and then worked their way up the league. 8 different clubs tasted glory in the cups with some brilliant drama along the way. Hibs in the scottish cup, ICT and St Johnstone winning their first scottish cup, Aberdeen's first trophy in almost 20 years, Ross Count with their first ever trophy too. Rangers return and its completely fucked again.

Yeah I remember and we pretty much agree.

What id like though is for the other big teams to concentrate on consistenty making themselves bigger. We all know that the gap to the OF is huge but thats not a reason for them to be poor. As you say, good management can take a club far but as you also stress budgets can make a big difference.

Livi's average attendence last season was 3500. Aberdeens was 11000, Hibs 15000 and Hearts 16500. At 15 pound per ticket and 19 homes games thats 2.1 million, 3.2 million and 3.7 million respectively. Thats before you take into account corporate box attendence. Strip sales will be more for these clubs so ground and shirt sponsorship will also be much higher. 

So whilst I agree that the gap to the OF is massive and way bigger than those figures. I would say that a multi milion pound budget difference should mean the other big clubs do much better than they do.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Thanks

AAAAAgh.  So Rangers return and it's completely fucked again.  I get your drift.  

2 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Yeah I remember and we pretty much agree.

What id like though is for the other big teams to concentrate on consistenty making themselves bigger. We all know that the gap to the OF is huge but thats not a reason for them to be poor. As you say, good management can take a club far but as you also stress budgets can make a big difference.

Livi's average attendence last season was 3500. Aberdeens was 11000, Hibs 15000 and Hearts 16500. At 15 pound per ticket and 19 homes games thats 2.1 million, 3.2 million and 3.7 million respectively. Thats before you take into account corporate box attendence. Strip sales will be more for these clubs so ground and shirt sponsorship will also be much higher. 

So whilst I agree that the gap to the OF is massive and way bigger than those figures. I would say that a multi milion pound budget difference should mean the other big clubs do much better than they do.

There nothing in there I disagree with, Aberdeen have been mis managed most seasons with the exception of one or two seasons under Mcinnes and thats why Killie and Motherwell finished above them. I think the point is the gap between the so called bigger clubs in within the other ten is not insurmountable whereas to beat the old firm is with out significant investment.

If Aberdeen are mis managed or the budget is not being put to good use, it will be a disaster. This season is a good example. Goodwin brought in Richardson - a shocking right back now relegated to the behind a midfielder, he made Stewart his first choice centre half and captain.......Stewart wouldn't get a game in the Scottish Championship, hes utter dog meat. The other centre half is a bloody good player but he's on loan and can't play against celtic. Its a total shambles at the back from goodwin and it will mean AFC slip down the league table.

another pet hate of mine right now with Aberdeen is the lack of Scottish players being played. only four in the entire squad with 2 in the starting 11. 

56 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

There nothing in there I disagree with, Aberdeen have been mis managed most seasons with the exception of one or two seasons under Mcinnes and thats why Killie and Motherwell finished above them. I think the point is the gap between the so called bigger clubs in within the other ten is not insurmountable whereas to beat the old firm is with out significant investment.

If Aberdeen are mis managed or the budget is not being put to good use, it will be a disaster. This season is a good example. Goodwin brought in Richardson - a shocking right back now relegated to the behind a midfielder, he made Stewart his first choice centre half and captain.......Stewart wouldn't get a game in the Scottish Championship, hes utter dog meat. The other centre half is a bloody good player but he's on loan and can't play against celtic. Its a total shambles at the back from goodwin and it will mean AFC slip down the league table.

another pet hate of mine right now with Aberdeen is the lack of Scottish players being played. only four in the entire squad with 2 in the starting 11. 

The loan rules in Scotland are something id like to see changed. On one hand I can understand not wanting a player to play against their parent club to guard against suggestions of them not trying etc but im not sure how many times in reality this would happen and if it did the manager would have the option of subbing or not playing them.  The current situation in Scotland I feel is particuarly unfaor given the budget differences discussed. Very rarely will a Scot Prem team loan a player to another Scot prem team outwidth the OF. So it means that every team is further weakend when they play the OF.

3 hours ago, SamP said:

Just watched that tackle again from yesterday.  That has the same venom as neil Simpson and the Rangers player was lucky still being able to walk..  How does little big man feel about that one?

Aye no answer.  That was before VAR though so doesn't count.

6 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I appreciate that the budget gap between Aberdeen / Hibs / Hearts and the OF is massive however the gap between these teams and Livi / Ross County will also be large. 

Large enough that clubs properly run shouldnt be finishing outside the top 6. 

Hearts look like they are starting to do things properly. Picking up players like Clarke and Forrest. Bringing in proven scot prem players like Shankland and supplementing with good loan signings and experience like Snodgrass.

It really isn’t, the financial gap between hearts (3rd) and Ross county (bottom)is relative peanuts in football terms. 

3 minutes ago, JECK said:

It really isn’t, the financial gap between hearts (3rd) and Ross county (bottom)is relative peanuts in football terms. 

Ross County declared a turnover of 3 million. Hearts just shy of 15 million so 5 times the amount.

Rangers 86 million which is why I agree with Vanderark that the gap to the OF is huge however having times the turnover of another team can not be described as peanuts.

4 minutes ago, Debian said:

McCrorie on Kent was just as bad as this.

Correct, but that was just as bad as Stewart, why the inconsistency?

That is a red card all day long, every day, but officials choose to ignore these. 

Realistically, both teams should’ve been down to 9 men, but the media will refuse to discuss these things. 

Why is that?