Season 22/23 - Page 109 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/27/2023 at 5:31 PM, Diamond Scot said:

Hibs looked really threatening for rest of 1st half after Cochrane was sent off. They never really did much in the 2nd although they did hit the post.

One thing ive noticed about Shankland this season is his hold up play and general in game intelligence has come on leaps and bounds.

Biggest thing I've noticed about his game. He hardly ever gives the ball away and is very hard to get off the ball. What he's lacking in pace he makes up with his heid, reads the game so well. HUGE player for us and easily player of the season. 

On 5/27/2023 at 6:25 PM, vanderark14 said:

Goodwin given a two year deal🤣🤣

I think the only justification is that none of the players on the pitch were 'his own' and a feeling that senior players have let down successive managers. Big season ahead for him though as there wasn't any improvement with him and Aberdeen did so much better without him. I think they need to go straight back up otherwise Mr Goodwin may need to think of a different career.

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

I think the only justification is that none of the players on the pitch were 'his own' and a feeling that senior players have let down successive managers. Big season ahead for him though as there wasn't any improvement with him and Aberdeen did so much better without him. I think they need to go straight back up otherwise Mr Goodwin may need to think of a different career.

Next Grecian 2000 hair model 😜

1 hour ago, Och Aye said:

Could be tough in the Championship for Utd next season. Two strong teams coming in, Dunfermline and Airdrie and the possibility of Ross County too in what has been a really competitive league in recent years.

Better than league we have now.  Look at the state  of our Premiership.  Two big fish in a small bowl.  VA asked if there was ever more of a points difference.  I would doubt it.  The sooner this so called Atlantic league happens the better.  Celtic and Rangers would compete well I am sure.  Life moves on.  But they are too big for the country imo.   

18 teams.  Why won't the SFA listen to us?  Greed with TV money.  We have a great wee country and great memories of Europe.  Aberdeen was still the best though.  When Celtic won the cup they only had about 5 teams to play.  Linfield made it to the quarter finals that year.

4 minutes ago, SamP said:

18 teams.  Why won't the SFA listen to us?  Greed with TV money.  We have a great wee country and great memories of Europe.  Aberdeen was still the best though.  When Celtic won the cup they only had about 5 teams to play.  Linfield made it to the quarter finals that year.

Aberdeen played six.

8 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

He probably knows this....he just wanted to have a pop at celtic again.....because he's a dick head

I never knew that.  Nothing to do with Celtic.  My point was that it would be impossible now.  

12 hours ago, SamP said:

Its nothing to do with the SFA. Its the SPFL so its the clubs who dont want 18 team top league. Id imagine because TV want 4 OF games a season and chairman want the most possible home OF games a season. 

6 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Its nothing to do with the SFA. Its the SPFL so its the clubs who dont want 18 team top league. Id imagine because TV want 4 OF games a season and chairman want the most possible home OF games a season. 

You're right but think it must be purely TV money for Old Firm fixtures now as the attendance is not as lucrative as used to be. Under 8,500 at Old Firm games at Fir Park now so any increase in revenue through gate money will be wiped out by the extra policing costs.

8 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

That is true.  But surely the SPFL and SFA should be working together for the benefit of our teams and the National  side.  Maybe I am just dreaming.  Looking forward to another 2 horse race next season (not).  I said on here before about the fans of all the clubs should make stand and not go to any games until the Chairmen/women take notice.  I know that would probably never happen but it could if the fans made their feelings known.

19 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

He probably knows this....he just wanted to have a pop at celtic again.....because he's a dick head

I never knew Aberdeen played only 6.  My main point is that Aberdeen's achievement was slightly better than the OF wins probably because of size.  What Celtic did was magnificent and put Scottish football on the map. Only my opinion (which you said I didn't have!!).  Not having a pop at Celtic at all VA.  Sat out in back garden on Sunday with friends and family who are all Celtic supporters.  I had a pop at Celtic right enough but it was all in great fun.

3 hours ago, Och Aye said:

You're right but think it must be purely TV money for Old Firm fixtures now as the attendance is not as lucrative as used to be. Under 8,500 at Old Firm games at Fir Park now so any increase in revenue through gate money will be wiped out by the extra policing costs.

It would be interesting to get an actual breakdown so that fans could either understand or voice their disapproval but from an informed perspective. You hear so many fans saying we want XYZ but have no idea how it could be achieved.

Maybe a sharebolder could ask a question at an AGM. Something like

1) How much does each club currently receive from TV per year. Has Sky / TV indicated how much clubs would receive per year if the league was to change format so that there was only 2 OF games per season. 

2) How much additional revenue is recieved for an OF home game when compaired to an average home game once all associated costs are included.

It might be that the difference would be massive in which case fans might say, we dont like it but fair enough we understand. Or it might be less in which fans could then engage with clubs. If it was say 300k per year. Fans might say ok, we would be willing to pay X amount quid a year more on season / gate tickets and accept a squad wages reduction to make up the difference in order to have an 18 team top league.

39 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

It would be interesting to get an actual breakdown so that fans could either understand or voice their disapproval but from an informed perspective. You hear so many fans saying we want XYZ but have no idea how it could be achieved.

Maybe a sharebolder could ask a question at an AGM. Something like

1) How much does each club currently receive from TV per year. Has Sky / TV indicated how much clubs would receive per year if the league was to change format so that there was only 2 OF games per season. 

2) How much additional revenue is recieved for an OF home game when compaired to an average home game once all associated costs are included.

It might be that the difference would be massive in which case fans might say, we dont like it but fair enough we understand. Or it might be less in which fans could then engage with clubs. If it was say 300k per year. Fans might say ok, we would be willing to pay X amount quid a year more on season / gate tickets and accept a squad wages reduction to make up the difference in order to have an 18 team top league.

Would be interesting to gather that information. Would also have to incorporate the increased likelihood of local derbies into it. Motherwell v Airdrie, Kilmarnock v Ayr, St Mirren v Morton, etc, in the top flight and playing just twice a season would keep it more special (you'd hope for an 8,000 attendance for these matches).This playing each other 4 times and possibly 6 times depending on the cup draws is making it far too familiar. Used to look out for Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs home games when the Motherwell fixtures were announced but it's all become too regular now.

Edited by Och Aye

5 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Would be interesting to gather that information. Would also have to incorporate the increased likelihood of local derbies into it. Motherwell v Airdrie, Kilmarnock v Ayr, St Mirren v Morton, etc, in the top flight and playing just twice a season would keep it more special (you'd hope for an 8,000 attendance for these matches).This playing each other 4 times and possibly 6 times depending on the cup draws is making it far too familiar. Used to look out for Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs home games when the Motherwell fixtures were announced but it's all become too regular now.

Playing each other 4 times a season is one of the main reasons I stopped going to games. Especially in the lower league where its 10 teams and only 1 auto promotion. More often than not by Oct you know who is going to win the league. For Airdrie it was always quite clear that we wouldnt be winning the league or anywhere near relegation so theres no real excitment until March and thats only if its possible that you wont make the playoff. 

Maybe a chairman has already broken it all down. The TV thing would be interesting. We already dont get a great TV deal. Wonder how much worse it would be as lets be honest, Sky have no interest in any other teams other than the OF. They dont even try and hide it anymore.

7 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Playing each other 4 times a season is one of the main reasons I stopped going to games

Must be pretty boring for players as well. Same old opponents, same old grounds. Being in a bigger league might be more interesting to them as well.

Ten teams in a league means too many pressure games (we can't afford to lose), doesn't allow younger players or managers to develop.

7 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Must be pretty boring for players as well. Same old opponents, same old grounds. Being in a bigger league might be more interesting to them as well.

Ten teams in a league means too many pressure games (we can't afford to lose), doesn't allow younger players or managers to develop.

That makes too much sense!!  Like most things nowadays it is run by greed.  Never mind what the customers/supporters think.  I don't know if the USA league still has a cap on salaries?