Season 22/23 - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

7 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Watching Sportscene I’m amazed Aberdeen got out of today only conceding 3. 

I've had some concerns about aberdeen since game one against celtic. 

Startng Kennedy was the first alarm bell, he looked greay against lower league shite in the league cup but he just isnt good enough for a side chasing 3rd. Mcrorie is defence against any opponent is mental, he should be playing midfield. 

Against St mirren they had a lot of possession but didn't really threaten till St mirren went down to ten. Hard to judge when St mirren completely collapsed

Yesterday was a proper test, a tough to beat side with a new manager and aberdeen failed miserably. 

Anthony Stewart is not captain material and in yhe 3 games he's played he would be lucky to get a 4 out of ten rating, out of position a lot, mis-timed tackles, passing is terrible and his ball control is worse. Mcrorie again in defence too🤦🤦

Miovski was the only player who impressed me. The rest looked lost and totally devoid of ideas

Edited by vanderark14

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Startng Kennedy was the first alarm bell, he looked greay against lower league shite in the league cup but he just isnt good enough for a side chasing 3rd. Mcrorie is defence against any opponent is mental, he should be playing midfield. 

Against St mirren they had a lot of possession but didn't really threaten till St mirren went down to ten. Hard to judge when St mirren completely collapsed

Yesterday was a proper test, a tough to beat side with a new manager and aberdeen failed miserably. 

Anthony Stewart is not captain material and in yhe 3 games he's played he would be lucky to get a 4 out of ten rating, out of position a lot, mis-timed tackles, passing is terrible and his ball control is worse. Mcrorie again in defence too🤦🤦

Miovski was the only player who impressed me. The rest looked lost and totally devoid of ideas

At least give the team a chance to help together. Yesterday was piss poor by everyone and we deserved nothing from the game, but let’s just see if it was a blip before hanging them all. 

Stewart seems to be very good at reading the game, instructing team mates etc, just a little on the slow side, I’m assuming that’s why McCrorie was there yesterday, but that simply didn’t work. 

1 minute ago, dandydunn said:

At least give the team a chance to help together. Yesterday was piss poor by everyone and we deserved nothing from the game, but let’s just see if it was a blip before hanging them all. 

Stewart seems to be very good at reading the game, instructing team mates etc, just a little on the slow side, I’m assuming that’s why McCrorie was there yesterday, but that simply didn’t work

You must be watching a different Stewart to me. His reading of game yesterday and against St mirren was honking......he mis timed tackles and left the test of his back four exposed because he dived in. Hid attempt to control the ball in the box was scary.

I'm only judging these players on performances so far, there is time for the manager and players to get things right but on what I've seen of this team and in particular Stewart....its not good. 

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

You must be watching a different Stewart to me. His reading of game yesterday and against St mirren was honking......he mis timed tackles and left the test of his back four exposed because he dived in. Hid attempt to control the ball in the box was scary.

I'm only judging these players on performances so far, there is time for the manager and players to get things right but on what I've seen of this team and in particular Stewart....its not good. 

I’m judging them on standing watching them every week, not from what a camera wants to show me. 

5 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

I’m judging them on standing watching them every week, not from what a camera wants to show me. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 calm down min

I know guys who've been going to Pittodrie for 40 years, they've missed less than handful of games and they don't have the first clue about what goes on during a game. 

You being there rather than watching at home doesn't justify your opinion. 

Edited by vanderark14

Went along to watch Stenny yesterday away at Stirling Albion. Local game. Anyway as bad starts go how does this sound???

75 seconds - goal Stirling, poor defending from the backup centre-back the manager drafted in for no reason. 1-0 down.

4mins - RED CARD!!! The backup centre-back caught wrong side, last man foul and deservedly sent off. Now playing 86mins plus in 25C heat with a man less.

Sub to shore things up - brings off our one mobile midfielder while leaving utter dross Ross Forbes on, we were effectively down to nine men. The normal starting centre-back was the player brought on to maintain the back four.

Went on to lose 3-0, absolute rubbish. The early season optimism I felt for this campaign has gone. Could be another ridiculous season where by the time the manager figures out the best team the playoff places are too far out of sight.

I know there isn't much interest in League Two here but it helped me sharing that. Thanks for reading.

4 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

Went along to watch Stenny yesterday away at Stirling Albion. Local game. Anyway as bad starts go how does this sound???

75 seconds - goal Stirling, poor defending from the backup centre-back the manager drafted in for no reason. 1-0 down.

4mins - RED CARD!!! The backup centre-back caught wrong side, last man foul and deservedly sent off. Now playing 86mins plus in 25C heat with a man less.

Sub to shore things up - brings off our one mobile midfielder while leaving utter dross Ross Forbes on, we were effectively down to nine men. The normal starting centre-back was the player brought on to maintain the back four.

Went on to lose 3-0, absolute rubbish. The early season optimism I felt for this campaign has gone. Could be another ridiculous season where by the time the manager figures out the best team the playoff places are too far out of sight.

I know there isn't much interest in League Two here but it helped me sharing that. Thanks for reading.

Ok you win, you had a shittier day than us sheep👍🏻

59 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 calm down min

I know guys who've been going to Pittodrie for 40 years, they've missed less than handful of games and they don't have the first clue about what goes on during a game. 

You being there rather than watching at home doesn't justify your opinion. 

Maybe football isn’t for them then if they don’t have a clue what’s going on during the game. 

Out of curiosity, why doesn’t it justify me being allowed an opinion?

You sound very ramyesque with your “what I say is true and no one is allowed to say anything”

Just now, dandydunn said:

Maybe football isn’t for them then if they don’t have a clue what’s going on during the game. 

Out of curiosity, why doesn’t it justify me being allowed an opinion?

You sound very ramyesque with your “what I say is true and no one is allowed to say anything”

Your making things up now. I never said you weren't allowed to say anything. I said going to games doesn't justify your opinion I did joy say you weren't allowed an opinion. Post your opinion all you want, your entitled to it just like me.

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Goodwin needs to decide who his central defence partnership is & stop chopping & changing them, a blind man could see our midfield was overrun yesterday which created problems for the defenders, Mcrorie should’ve been in midfield with Scales at centre half (he’s never a full back). We will score a lot more goals this season but needing to score 3 to get a point is abysmal.

36 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Goodwin needs to decide who his central defence partnership is & stop chopping & changing them, a blind man could see our midfield was overrun yesterday which created problems for the defenders, Mcrorie should’ve been in midfield with Scales at centre half (he’s never a full back). We will score a lot more goals this season but needing to score 3 to get a point is abysmal.

Agreed. If Goodwin doesn't think Mckenzie is OK to start at LB, why didn't he address that problem during the off season when he was signing 12 players?

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Agreed. If Goodwin doesn't think Mckenzie is OK to start at LB, why didn't he address that problem during the off season when he was signing 12 players?

Seemed to be a lot of optimism around Aberdeen this season. Largely based on signing a lot of players most of us had never heard of? Is that unfair as an observation?

7 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Seemed to be a lot of optimism around Aberdeen this season. Largely based on signing a lot of players most of us had never heard of? Is that unfair as an observation?

Not sure optimism is the word, hope would be more apt. The team needed an overhaul, Goodwin has done that but it's now whether the players he has brought in are good enough. 

Miovski looks the part, 3 goals in the league so far. He is always in the right positions too.

The rest, the jury is still out for me but Stewart hasn't had the best start, I'm still not seeing why he was made captain but there is a long way to go this season so he has time to win everyone over 

Thoroughly miserable lunchtime viewing, fortunately I had to knock back the late offer of a ticket or it could've been a worse day.

One consolation is that there's now 17 league games to come before we meet either of the erse cheeks again, those games will define our season, not horsings like this afternoon.

I was most annoyed today not by our defending, but with Ian Crocker claiming it was a sad thing that the Old Firm don't get both stands behind the goals at Rugby Park anymore. GTF ya rocket, not one Killie fan is unhappy about this arrangement!

Edited by Toepoke

3 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Thoroughly miserable lunchtime viewing, fortunately I had to knock back the late offer of a ticket or it could've been a worse day.

One consolation is that there's now 17 league games to come before we meet either of the erse cheeks again, those games will define our season, not horsings like this afternoon.

I was most annoyed today not by our defending, but with Ian Crocker claiming it was a sad thing that the Old Firm don't get both stands behind the goals at Rugby Park anymore. GTF ya rocket, not one Killie fan is unhappy about this arrangement!

Crocker typifies sky coverage. Completely focused on the old firm with fuck all knowledge of the rest.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

That's a ridiculous thing for the match commentator to remark on. His job is to literally call the game, that's it. What a tosspot.

8 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Not sure optimism is the word, hope would be more apt. The team needed an overhaul, Goodwin has done that but it's now whether the players he has brought in are good enough. 

Miovski looks the part, 3 goals in the league so far. He is always in the right positions too.

The rest, the jury is still out for me but Stewart hasn't had the best start, I'm still not seeing why he was made captain but there is a long way to go this season so he has time to win everyone over 

Seem to be going against the grain here but, other than the GK & RB, I think the new boys looked pretty good individually. Hopefully when they start to understand each others runs etc. we'll be quite exciting going forward. Could do with a back 4 in the correct positions though, thought McKenzie was fine when he came on, again contrary to popular opinion.

As for the season in general might as well play the 4 Glasgow derbies now and be done with it. 20+ points clear of Hearts who will be 10+ points clear of 4th I imagine. Not sure where the intrigue and excitement will come from??