Best Scotland Captain Ever.....🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best Scotland Captain Ever.....🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Big Ramy 1314

Ok, at work, bored again, 🤣. I quite enjoy reading the replies to these questions. So, here we go. Who, over all the years you have been following Scotland, is our greatest ever Captain. I mean maybe not the most skilled, but the best leader, inspiration, motivator, we have ever had.. I will add to this, who picks our Captain? Is it the manager, or a combination of Manager and Players, or the players themselves... You don't always have to be a great player to be a proper leader on, and off the park...🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

This is a great thread. 

I am looking at the list on a Wikipedia article, I can really only consider players that I am familiar with and observing them as captain so that limits me from 1990 onwards - if I didn't, I wanted to go with my heart and say Willie Miller but I have no idea how was as a Captain.  

The two that stick out to me at Colin Hendry and Paul Lambert.  I am inclined to go with Colin, maybe mostly led by my heart but some head but He fits for me what I want from a captain.  A vocal player on the pitch, a commanding presence and a steady consistent performer.  

If I was to pick from any era, I reckon Danny Mcgrain is someone who would stand out as a Captain of Captain's. 

Edited by romanticscot

16 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Barry Ferguson. Shame he didn’t play in a tournament. 

I find this controversial because some of his behavior was not becoming of a professional player nevermind a captain in Boozegate. He did publicly confess his regret's but for me, the rest of his residency as Captain would have to be impeccable to be able to take the embarrassment of Boozegate and still be chosen as our best ever Captain. 

34 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

For me it has to be between John Greig and Billy Bremner. At that time we had two of the best captains in world football competing for the same job. 

As has been said many times before, the best international teams are full of captains. 

On 7/14/2022 at 8:33 PM, Malcolm said:

Souness

Fantastic player but too much of a poser on the park at times for me. I preferred Roy Aitken as a captain, technically not as good but he certainly made sure the team was motivated!

5 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Fantastic player but too much of a poser on the park at times for me. I preferred Roy Aitken as a captain, technically not as good but he certainly made sure the team was motivated!

Aye, same for me. I was never the greatest fan of Souness in a Scotland shirt.

I think a lot of the apathy to Souness stems from a view that he was Liverpool first and Scotland second and that he was too big for Scotland.  I don’t remember him being anything other than committed playing for us.

all of the three Liverpool boys got bad press for withdrawing from squads if i remember.

6 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Statistically it is probably Bruce Rioch off the top of my head

If we go by win %, then George Young beats him by quite a bit. As do Eric Caldow and Danny McGrain and even Scott Brown. Kinda depends on the opposition each of them played against, though.

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

If we go by win %, then George Young beats him by quite a bit. As do Eric Caldow and Danny McGrain and even Scott Brown. Kinda depends on the opposition each of them played against, though.

I was talking shite anyway

Rioch's Scotland career started in 1975 and ended in 1978 (Argentina)

I assumed he was captain in the period of 1976 to Argentina where we went unbeaten and on rankings were one of the World's top sides

However his captaincy was only from May 77 to June 78

On 7/15/2022 at 2:10 PM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I never knew that. Cheers. I always liked Souness for Scotland, just a shame what an utter fud he has turned into...

You're right big man.Always all the more disapointing when a former hero turns into a total cock muncher.He can go and fry his prick.

16 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I think a lot of the apathy to Souness stems from a view that he was Liverpool first and Scotland second and that he was too big for Scotland.  I don’t remember him being anything other than committed playing for us.

all of the three Liverpool boys got bad press for withdrawing from squads if i remember.

He was anything but committed.  He said himself that he pulled out of squads for no reason at all if he didn't deem it to be an important international.  He became a better Scotland player in many folks' eyes after he became Rangers player-manager.  He was anything but popular in the early 80's with his below-par performances for the national side.

10 hours ago, daviebee said:

He was anything but committed.  He said himself that he pulled out of squads for no reason at all if he didn't deem it to be an important international.  He became a better Scotland player in many folks' eyes after he became Rangers player-manager.  He was anything but popular in the early 80's with his below-par performances for the national side.

I liked him.  Always had a swagger on the park, and not afraid to put the boot in if needed.

5 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I liked him.  Always had a swagger on the park, and not afraid to put the boot in if needed.

Aye. He certainly put the boot into us before that Ukraine game. Should never be near a Scotland game again. Total toss.