Women's Euros - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, scotlad said:

The EPL starts up again at the weekend, so don't expect to hear much more about the Lionesses or women's football until the BBC Sports Personality of the Year smugathon in December.

I disagree, this weekend will be dominated by EPL coverage because it the first matches of the season. However the EBC and Sky will go into overdrive with the WSL this season. 

England are quite right to capitalise on this, it’s a magnificent achievement for them.  I’m not enormously in favour of the honours list in general, but if some of the men were knighted for 1966, then I think it’s likely the women will see honours.

I can’t see the bookies taking bets on sports personality of the year.

37 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I’m not enormously in favour of the honours list in general, but if some of the men were knighted for 1966, then I think it’s likely the women will see honours.

Alf Ramsey was knighted the year after but Bobby Charlton and Geoff Hurst had to wait til the 1990s to get theirs. 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I disagree, this weekend will be dominated by EPL coverage because it the first matches of the season. However the EBC and Sky will go into overdrive with the WSL this season. 

They'll try and push the WSL, I'm sure, as they have been for the past couple of seasons, but once the EPL is back that will dwarf everything.  And then we have the World Cup in November!

The great English public enjoy a wee blast of flag-waving jingoism and last week the ladies provided that, but I'd be surprised if their victory sparks any real interest in the women's game overnight.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I see souness has upset some of the women🤣

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1655166/Graeme-Souness-blasted-Chelsea-Tottenham-Bethany-England-Sky-Sports

He was commenting on mens football. Don't see what the fuss is about.

Was good to hear him doubling down on Talksport this morning too.

6 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Was good to hear him doubling down on Talksport this morning too.

Its becoming beyond tedious, the comments from Aluko in particular were totally needless, see below. They didn;t end a 56 year wait, they were the first womens england international side to win a major tournament. The mens team are still waiting.

“Awkward turtles, Graeme Souness talking about ‘it’s a man’s game again’ sat next to an England centurion Karen Carney, two weeks after the Lionesses end a 56 year wait and win European Championships,” she tweeted. “Come on. It’s not okay.”

I'm hoping it was deliberate on Souness's part. Just to wind some folk up a bit. 😂 But it was probably just a turn of phrase and he never even thought about it. Seems that the only way to not offend some folk these days is keep your mouth shut and say nothing. Then they would just moan because you are ignoring them. 🤣

The reaction to this has been pathetic. Media outlets reporting that Carney has over 100 caps, over twice what Souness has won, who gives a fuck. 

Do away with sexes in football, everyone competes under the same league, nations etc. Let’s see how many caps people earn then. 

28 minutes ago, kumnio said:

The reaction to this has been pathetic. Media outlets reporting that Carney has over 100 caps, over twice what Souness has won, who gives a fuck. 

Do away with sexes in football, everyone competes under the same league, nations etc. Let’s see how many caps people earn then. 

Exactly. If they want equality, let's give them equality. No more men's or women's 100 meters. Just make it 100 meters and anybody can enter. Solves the "chicks with dicks" problem at the same time.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I'm hoping it was deliberate on Souness's part. Just to wind some folk up a bit. 😂 But it was probably just a turn of phrase and he never even thought about it. Seems that the only way to not offend some folk these days is keep your mouth shut and say nothing. Then they would just moan because you are ignoring them. 🤣

Sounds like my ex. 😂

8 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I see souness has upset some of the women🤣

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1655166/Graeme-Souness-blasted-Chelsea-Tottenham-Bethany-England-Sky-Sports

He was commenting on mens football. Don't see what the fuss is about.

Absolute fuss over nothing.  He didn't say or even imply that football is only a man's game. 

It was a bit of a stupid turn of phrase though, if only because it was guaranteed to provoke the reaction it has!

• 2 weeks later...