Women's Euros - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, scotlad said:

3-0 England so far. Outrageous goal for the third - a backheeler through the goalie's legs!

Hate to say it but I think they might be winning this tournament. 😕

Poor keeping. It was a good bit of improvisation by the England forward but shouldn't have gone in.

5 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

England going through. I don't personally dislike the women but it is going to be over every form of media, every BBC channel.  God help us all.

I've nothing against the lassies either - well, Ellen White is a diver and Lucy Bronze was a petulant wee arse when she played against Scotland, but apart from them I've nothing against the team.  The likes of the perma-smug Gabby Logan and Robyn 'Alan Partridge on estrogen' Cowen, however, are really, really starting to grate though. And that's before you get all the other arseholes who piggy-back on any kind of English sporting success to push their own non-sporting agendas.

Worst of all though is this stupid 'Lionesses' name. They're not Lionesses, they're human females who kick a ball around. I know self-ID is very much in vogue at the moment but none of them will be off out after the game looking for wildebeest to have for their tea tonight!

5 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I've nothing against the lassies either - well, Ellen White is a diver and Lucy Bronze was a petulant wee arse when she played against Scotland, but apart from them I've nothing against the team.  The likes of the perma-smug Gabby Logan and Robyn 'Alan Partridge on estrogen' Cowen, however, are really, really starting to grate though. And that's before you get all the other arseholes who piggy-back on any kind of English sporting success to push their own non-sporting agendas.

Worst of all though is this stupid 'Lionesses' name. They're not Lionesses, they're human females who kick a ball around. I know self-ID is very much in vogue at the moment but none of them will be off out after the game looking for wildebeest to have for their tea tonight!

Sums it up perfectly.

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

England being in the final at Wembley will certainly make it more of an event. Hopefully it goes the same way as the men's Euros final 😁

Nah, surely they’ll have more security this time 😜

It's the pundits and commentators who make this unbearable.

Ian Wright is a bigger cock womble on women's football than he is on the mens game.

I honestly didn't think anything could be overated more than the EPL but the English media have managed it with the women's game 

Haven’t really watched any of the football (I know it’s different, just can’t get into the woman’s game) but impossible to avoid all the b/s that goes with it. Thought it was impossible but it’s quite possibly more annoying than the mens game in terms of the media side. This constant fawning of “lionesses”…absolute bellends of the highest order. As usual BBC/itv etc showing complete disregard for Scottish, Welsh and NI viewers, hardly surprising though.

4 minutes ago, JECK said:

Haven’t really watched any of the football (I know it’s different, just can’t get into the woman’s game) but impossible to avoid all the b/s that goes with it. Thought it was impossible but it’s quite possibly more annoying than the mens game in terms of the media side. This constant fawning of “lionesses”…absolute bellends of the highest order. As usual BBC/itv etc showing complete disregard for Scottish, Welsh and NI viewers, hardly surprising though.

I’ve found it pretty easy to avoid actually, with watching iptv now, it’s really easy to completely stay off the channels and just bypass anything in social media about it, quite refreshing actually, probably helps that I really dont care about it. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Spme clown on the radio yesterday saying Wayne Rooney's England goalscoring record one goal away from being broken. 

Beyond parody this kinda stuff.

There's also some.media outlets stating beth mead equalled Lineker and Harry kanes six goals in a tournament. Its laughable 

41 minutes ago, JECK said:

complete disregard for Scottish, Welsh and NI viewers, hardly surprising though.

Saw one of the newspaper front-page previews last night and some guy said 'The British had something inbuilt into their DNA, which makes us hate penalty shoot-outs'.

B*llo*cks. We scored 5 out 5 against Serbia.

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

I’ve found it pretty easy to avoid actually, with watching iptv now, it’s really easy to completely stay off the channels and just bypass anything in social media about it, quite refreshing actually, probably helps that I really dont care about it. 

Difficult if your watching the late night news or the morning news on the main channels.

It’s like they’re all mad to get in on the act of jumping on the bandwagon of any English sporting success added to the need to be seen to promote the woman’s game, it’s 2 things coming together at once.

1 minute ago, JECK said:

Difficult if your watching the late night news or the morning news on the main channels.

It’s like they’re all mad to get in on the act of jumping on the bandwagon of any English sporting success added to the need to be seen to promote the woman’s game, it’s 2 things coming together at once.

North Tonight is on after the chase, that’s all the news I need 😂

53 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Saw one of the newspaper front-page previews last night and some guy said 'The British had something inbuilt into their DNA, which makes us hate penalty shoot-outs'.

B*llo*cks. We scored 5 out 5 against Serbia.

...and Israel. The Welsh haven't had a penalty shootout, but Northern Ireland beat Bosnia 4-3 on penalties in the Euro 2020 play-offs. It's another case of British = English.

One point I will make about international women's football is the relative standard between teams is very poor.

Comparing major tournaments is stark, the number of matches resulting in a three or more goal win is:

• Previous Euros: men 17.6% (9 of 51); women (two matches left) 34.5% (10 of 29)
  • Previous Euro qualifiers: men 33.2% (87 of 262); women 56.4% (115 of 204)
  • Previous World Cups: men 12.5% (8 of 64); women 23.1% (12 of 52)
  • All combined: men 27.6% (104 of 377); women 48.1% (137 of 285)

Further, in the men's Euros four of the nine matches with a 3+ goal win saw the goal which led to a three goal lead come in the 85th minute or later (ie. when the team is chasing the game), compared to just two of the ten in the women's Euros.

In fact, there were eight matches in the women's qualifiers where a team won by at least ten goals, compared to four in the European qualifiers to every men's tournament this century (3,115 matches).

Women's football is probably where men's football was in the 70s in terms of global development (and that may be generous) and that shows in the results. 

27 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Women's football is probably where men's football was in the 70s in terms of global development (and that may be generous) and that shows in the results. 

I think you could probably go back a few more decades than that. Although as has been shown recently a bit of investment can make a huge difference, eg. Spain losing to Scotland at the last Euros then absolutely annihilating us in the recent World Cup qualifying group, thanks in part to the professional setups at Barcelona and Real Madrid.

5 hours ago, JECK said:

My theory is it's a ploy to turn the England team into a de facto UK team. By giving them these twee names we're not being asked to cheer on England, we're being asked to cheer on "the Three Lions" or "the Lionesses".  Then we have the men's games shown live on cooncil telly all across the UK; at the Euros last year the coverage was entirely English based, save for our two games at Hampden, and it really felt like watching coverage from another country.

The Northern Irish women qualified for this tournament but they were barely mentioned and it was the same with us and Wales last year.

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

There's also some.media outlets stating beth mead equalled Lineker and Harry kanes six goals in a tournament. Its laughable 

It's also quite contradictory. On the one hand we're not supposed to compare it to the men's game because that's sexist - it's of equal value, it needn't be viewed through the prisim of men's sport to be valid etc - but on the other hand you see daft statements like that. 😂

See to be fair, women's football can be entertaining. It's less reliant on pace and physicality than the men's game, which is to its credit, but the two games are quite distinct.

4 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

One point I will make about international women's football is the relative standard between teams is very poor.

Comparing major tournaments is stark, the number of matches resulting in a three or more goal win is:

• Previous Euros: men 17.6% (9 of 51); women (two matches left) 34.5% (10 of 29)
  • Previous Euro qualifiers: men 33.2% (87 of 262); women 56.4% (115 of 204)
  • Previous World Cups: men 12.5% (8 of 64); women 23.1% (12 of 52)
  • All combined: men 27.6% (104 of 377); women 48.1% (137 of 285)

Further, in the men's Euros four of the nine matches with a 3+ goal win saw the goal which led to a three goal lead come in the 85th minute or later (ie. when the team is chasing the game), compared to just two of the ten in the women's Euros.

In fact, there were eight matches in the women's qualifiers where a team won by at least ten goals, compared to four in the European qualifiers to every men's tournament this century (3,115 matches).

And those countries that are relatively wealthy, have large populations, and can create professional teams will have a massive advantage. Particularly if they are heavily promoted by the state broadcaster. 

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

My theory is it's a ploy to turn the England team into a de facto UK team. By giving them these twee names we're not being asked to cheer on England, we're being asked to cheer on "the Three Lions" or "the Lionesses".  Then we have the men's games shown live on cooncil telly all across the UK; at the Euros last year the coverage was entirely English based, save for our two games at Hampden, and it really felt like watching coverage from another country.

It's been happening time immemorial, look back at film of the 1966 World Cup, Union Jacks aplenty.