All-time Prima Donna 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

All-time Prima Donna 11

Arbroath1320

Barry ferguson only got 45 caps in an 11 year international career which could of lasted longer had he not retired at 31. He still went onto to play a couple of seasons in the epl after he retired from the international setup. He was one of our best midfielders during his international career and near enough guaranteed a start but ended averaging just over 4 international apps a season. 

He just wasnt that interested in playing for scotland, especially friendlies. This was a guy who generally played between 40 and 50 games every season for rangers as well but usually pulled out of scotland squads when we needed him.

43 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Barry ferguson only got 45 caps in an 11 year international career which could of lasted longer had he not retired at 31. He still went onto to play a couple of seasons in the epl after he retired from the international setup. He was one of our best midfielders during his international career and near enough guaranteed a start but ended averaging just over 4 international apps a season. 

He just wasnt that interested in playing for scotland, especially friendlies. This was a guy who generally played between 40 and 50 games every season for rangers as well but usually pulled out of scotland squads when we needed him.

I'll be getting stereotyped sticking up for Ferguson in 2 consecutive posts however he was taking pain killing injections to play for Rangers for a number of years from relatively early in his career so to me it's understandable him choosing to sit out friendlies and risk further damage (and both Rangers and Scotland losing him for games that actually mattered).  I don't really have a recollection of him pulling out of competitive games that often but if he did then that's clearly a different story.

50 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I'll be getting stereotyped sticking up for Ferguson in 2 consecutive posts however he was taking pain killing injections to play for Rangers for a number of years from relatively early in his career so to me it's understandable him choosing to sit out friendlies and risk further damage (and both Rangers and Scotland losing him for games that actually mattered).  I don't really have a recollection of him pulling out of competitive games that often but if he did then that's clearly a different story.

Dunno that sounds like a weak excuse. Hes got nearly 650 competitive games at club level. Most seasons at rangers he played at least 40 games a season for years on end. If he was that bad rangers would of rested him against some of the spl dross. Darren fletcher had a serious illness that affected him for 2/3 seasons and he ended up with 80 caps. 

He either wasnt bothered or his injuries somehow always coincided with scotland games. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Dunno that sounds like a weak excuse. Hes got nearly 650 competitive games at club level. Most seasons at rangers he played at least 40 games a season for years on end. If he was that bad rangers would of rested him against some of the spl dross. Darren fletcher had a serious illness that affected him for 2/3 seasons and he ended up with 80 caps. 

He either wasnt bothered or his injuries somehow always coincided with scotland games. 

Not just politics you’re clueless on then. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Not just politics you’re clueless on then. 

45 caps for a guy who made his debut at 19/20 is terrible considering he was guaranteed a start for nearly all of the 11 years he was an international.

What specific seasons were these pain injections taking place? 

Its obvious that i have really pissed you off on that other thread as this one has nothing to do with it.

53 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

45 caps for a guy who made his debut at 19/20 is terrible considering he was guaranteed a start for nearly all of the 11 years he was an international.

What specific seasons were these pain injections taking place? 

Its obvious that i have really pissed you off on that other thread as this one has nothing to do with it.

From 2002-3 onwards

Guest Scot1

Jim Baxter has to be captain, on the pitch he was a Prima Donna. He was gallus, absolutely full of himself on the pitch, believed he was the best player out there, and he most probably was.

Edited by Scot1

1 minute ago, aaid said:

From 2002-3 onwards

Lol take a look at his stats for that season and the rest of his career. One season he played 62 times for rangers and for most other seasons he was up around the 40 to 50 mark. These werent sub appearances either, guy usually started and finished games for rangers and the other clubs he played for. 

There might very well be a grain of truth in the pain injections idea but lets not try and make out it was purely down to that. He wouldnt have played 650 times as pretty much a starter over his career if he was relying on pain injections for most of it. 

John mcginn has been playing for 5/6 years and hes got more caps than ferguson. 

According to my Grandad, forties and fifties Scotland player Billy Steel was a "beautiful footballer ..... when he was in the mood for it !".

If Steel was played out of position or if the team was 2-0 or 3-1 down without a hope of getting back into it, he wouldn't bother at all. Other times, Steel would gleefully rip teams apart all by himself.

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol take a look at his stats for that season and the rest of his career. One season he played 62 times for rangers and for most other seasons he was up around the 40 to 50 mark. These werent sub appearances either, guy usually started and finished games for rangers and the other clubs he played for. 

There might very well be a grain of truth in the pain injections idea but lets not try and make out it was purely down to that. He wouldnt have played 650 times as pretty much a starter over his career if he was relying on pain injections for most of it. 

John mcginn has been playing for 5/6 years and hes got more caps than ferguson. 

2002-3 was his last good season.  He was played much further forwards and scored a load more goals.  Early the next season, he was transferred to Blackburn where he broke his knee and was out for and extended period. 

From what I heard at the time, he didn't take great care of himself off the park, which wouldn't have helped recovery either.

A lot of the friendly caps that he missed were from end of season games when he was in getting ops to clear up various niggles. 

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

According to my Grandad, forties and fifties Scotland player Billy Steel was a "beautiful footballer ..... when he was in the mood for it !".

If Steel was played out of position or if the team was 2-0 or 3-1 down without a hope of getting back into it, he wouldn't bother at all. Other times, Steel would gleefully rip teams apart all by himself.

Must have had a bit of a temper because he was the first Scotland player to be sent off.

But aye my dad would agree with your grandad, Billy Steel was his hero.

We used to have an old neighbour called Willie Steel who had no interest in football. He was talking to faither once and mentioned that when he was stationed in Germany after the war, the army barracks were populated in alphabetical order and he ended up sharing a bunk with another William Steel.

"I think he was a decent fitba player" said Willie. You could've knocked my old man down with a feather 😄

12 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Spot on.