Most under-rated Scottish players ever! - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Most under-rated Scottish players ever!

exile

On 7/6/2022 at 7:02 AM, GHfaeGTA said:

Don’t think Dodds got much credit in that United team, certainly not compared to the likes of Narey, Hegarty, Sturrock, Bannon and Milne, but his goalscoring record was phenomenal. Certainly no one has come close at Tannadice in the scoring charts in the around 40 years since he was at his peak. Probably deserved more than 2 caps and is light years better than the strikers we have seen playing for Scotland recently eg McBurnie, Dykes. 

I dont think he was a great fit in international set up ; like many players / forwards , all very well having the ball pinged over all day long by bannon / milne etc against inferior opponents where you get lots of the ball - in 6 yd box loads 

dont recall an abundance of skill , being able to take on defenders , holding it up etc etc

my memory may be playing tricks but thought he was always referred to a bit of a donkey ?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

I dont think he was a great fit in international set up ; like many players / forwards , all very well having the ball pinged over all day long by bannon / milne etc against inferior opponents where you get lots of the ball - in 6 yd box loads 

dont recall an abundance of skill , being able to take on defenders , holding it up etc etc

my memory may be playing tricks but thought he was always referred to a bit of a donkey ?

Was certainly wasn't a "donkey". That's maybe an Aberdeen pair of specs speaking? 😉 Just a fairly decent centre forward. His main attribute was a wee bit of pace over 5 to 10 yards. He got a lot of his goals by getting himself half a yard ahead of defenders.

12 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Be interesting to see what happens to McBurnie next. He's got a year of his contract left and if he's as bad as everyone thinks, there won't be anyone interested in paying him a wage that would get him out of bed

Could be the first £20,000,000( too many zeros?} to retire at 26.

Alternative is probably a loan move to Rangers which would  rekindle his love of football as he became a legend scoring for fun in the SPFL.

I can't see any eventuality where he would end up at Rangers.  Maybe 10 years ago but not now.  And if he does I'm getting my season ticket back so I can give it up again.

44 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I can't see any eventuality where he would end up at Rangers.  Maybe 10 years ago but not now.  And if he does I'm getting my season ticket back so I can give it up again.

I think with his personality and lifestyle a move to Glasgow would be a complete disaster for everyone, apart from the gutter press hacks of the Sun and the Record who'll think all their Christmases have come at once!

11 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Was certainly wasn't a "donkey". That's maybe an Aberdeen pair of specs speaking? 😉 Just a fairly decent centre forward. His main attribute was a wee bit of pace over 5 to 10 yards. He got a lot of his goals by getting himself half a yard ahead of defenders.

am sure he was Fergies last signing before he departed for Man Utd ? - i always saw it as a bit of a practical joke .....

i dont recall people thinking it was a great signing back then ; as opposed to say Bobby Connor from Dundee 

Guest Scot1
5 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

am sure he was Fergies last signing before he departed for Man Utd ? - i always saw it as a bit of a practical joke .....

i dont recall people thinking it was a great signing back then ; as opposed to say Bobby Connor from Dundee 

Not saying Dodds was “world class” but he was a good finisher. Scored 102 goals in 243 appearances for Dundee Utd. In Europe he score 12 goals in 45 games. Including 4 goals in 10 games in the European Cup. 

Colin hendry and john collins. 

We only conceded 6 goals in the qualifiers for euro 96 and world cup 98. Pretty sure we were defensively the best team in europe for those two campaigns. Colin hendry was key to this successful defensive record and was a rock for us and blackburn.

John collins was a brilliant player who was good enough for most top european teams imo. A key player in helping monaco beat man utd in the 98 european cup and probably a big component in helping us qualify for tournaments in the 90s.

On 7/8/2022 at 2:07 AM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Billy Stark been mentioned?

I think in terms of Aberdeen he is very under rated (and a lot of former players say this) as he was probably the original target for the boo-boys, as while he could boss a game at Celtic Park and Ibrox, he had a habit of being missing in action for games against Morton and Dumbarton (do not recall many people being sad when he was sold to Celtic, and actually, I seem to recall that Celtic fans were questioning Billy McNeil for splashing money on him.... then Billy had the Indian summer of his career with Celtic during season 87-88).

22 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Pat Nevin, great wee player

vastly overrated; as he fell into the “gallus wee winger ; tanner ba …” bollocks we had been programmed to like

seemed to be selected often on this criteria - he played for a crap chelsea side ( alongside the even more useless david speedie …)

never thought he contributed much to national team ; was always a lot of anticipation when he got the ball out wide but typically came to nothing 

think he played well against malta ? At ibrox

11 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

vastly overrated; as he fell into the “gallus wee winger ; tanner ba …” bollocks we had been programmed to like

seemed to be selected often on this criteria - he played for a crap chelsea side ( alongside the even more useless david speedie …)

never thought he contributed much to national team ; was always a lot of anticipation when he got the ball out wide but typically came to nothing 

Fair enough, I was a kid during his peak years, but remembered loving the way he played. Such quick feet. And I’m also biased because he had a marvellous swan song to his career at Killie!

2 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Fair enough, I was a kid during his peak years, but remembered loving the way he played. Such quick feet. And I’m also biased because he had a marvellous swan song to his career at Killie!

I had it in my mind that he was mainly a fringe player who got a game now and again. But I see he got 28 caps, which surprised me a bit. I don't how many of those caps were sub appearances though?

On 7/12/2022 at 2:35 AM, mccaughey85 said:

Colin hendry and john collins. 

We only conceded 6 goals in the qualifiers for euro 96 and world cup 98. Pretty sure we were defensively the best team in europe for those two campaigns. Colin hendry was key to this successful defensive record and was a rock for us and blackburn.

John collins was a brilliant player who was good enough for most top european teams imo. A key player in helping monaco beat man utd in the 98 european cup and probably a big component in helping us qualify for tournaments in the 90s.

I’m not sure they’re underrated though. 

On 7/14/2022 at 1:10 PM, er yir macaroon said:

I’m not sure they’re underrated 

Maybe, its hard to tell. Scotland fans and fans of the clubs they played for probably appreciated them but alot of normal football fans didnt know much about collins due to him playing in scotland and then france. Epl fanboys probably didnt know much about him. 

Not sure hendry was always rated that highly by fans outside of scotland and blackburn. Hes probably our best ever centre back in terms of performances for scotland. To only concede 6 goals in two qualifying campaigns is something we will probably never see again. Strange that none of the bigger clubs in europe took a chance on him. 

Alot of scotland fans slagged the standard of player we had in the 90s due to us having much better in the 70s and 80s but those 2 were big performers in what was average squads and personally i dont think i appreciated how good we had it in the 90s until they were gone and we then had 20+ years of centre backs who mostly couldnt make it in the epl let alone win it. 

What we would give for a hendry these days. Maybe not so much collins due to us always having good central mids but a hendry and even colin calderwood would be heaven sent these days.

13 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Weir, Bell , McDougall spring to mind as top rate signings - Steve Cowan not so much...

am sure am missing others too .... ?

We got Ian Scanlon as part of the Peter Weir deal, he was a fantastic player for us and scored the best goal I ever saw at Love St, a 40 yard volley against Celtic when we came from 2 down to win 4-2.

Others you’ve singed from us as previously mentioned Billy Stark, In later years Roy Aitken, Ricky Gillies and Kenny McLean spring to mind, probably more than that. 

Edited by Jersey Jim

9 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

We got Ian Scanlon as part of the Peter Weir deal, he was a fantastic player for us and scored the best goal I ever saw at Love St, a 40 yard volley against Celtic when we came from 2 down to win 4-2.

Others you’ve singed from us as previously mentioned Billy Stark, In later years Roy Aitken, Ricky Gillies and Kenny McLean spring to mind, probably more than that. 

Roy Aitken and Ricky Gillies goes in the same box as Steve Cowan for me .....

Kenny McLean was a great player ; part of the "almost" team that ran celtic close

On 7/13/2022 at 8:12 PM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

A bit harsh on Nevin at Chelsea.  When joined, they were in the old second division, John Neal put together a good young side, including Nevin, that won the league that season and finished sixth in the first division the following two seasons.   He’s still very popular at Stamford Bridge to this day.  

I don’t really remember him doing much at international level but then I don’t particularly recall anyone really bumming him up, I always saw him as a squad player 

John McGovern 

Ken McNaught 

Alan Evans 

Two never capped and the other only 4 I think. Maybe they just peaked at the wrong time but all three were English first division and European cup winners. If only we had guys like them now.

2 hours ago, hoofitharder said:

John McGovern 

Ken McNaught 

Alan Evans 

Two never capped and the other only 4 I think. Maybe they just peaked at the wrong time but all three were English first division and European cup winners. If only we had guys like them now.

Evans shouldn't have been near the team.  We had a perfectly good defence at the time and Jock Stein started arseing around with it, even having 3 in the centre of defence v England, in the run-up to the WC.  There was no need to try and accommodate Evans, EC winner or not.  McLeish got a right raw deal out of that.

We'd be happy with EC winners in the team now right enough!

23 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

Remember having Scanlon in Aberdeen strip in a Panini sticker back in the day

Ian Cameron although did not get much games out of him for the 300K 

David Winnie as well - think that was another 300K  

Edited by euan2020